- advertisement -

What to do at waterparks????

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nevaeh's mommy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Nevaeh's mommy

Nevaeh's mommy Approved members

Hey everyone! This is our first summer with diabetes so what do we do at the waterpark? I know her endo said she could be detached for 1 hr at the most so what do we do reattach and bolus after an hr and then detach again? The endo also says she can do whatever other kids do.......so I'm confused!!!

Thank you in advance for any advice!!!

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

When we went to the lake we gave ds a shot of lantus the night before and just did shots for the day. If you think the site will stay on, you can use it for food boluses instead of syringes. We did shots because we didn't want to risk losing the pump or getting sand in it.

If you don't want to do shots you can just reconnect every hour or so and give her the amt she would've goobama from basal for that time (plus any food she may eat). With the extra activity of a water park you might not have as much trouble with highs as you would otherwise.

Hope this helps.

3. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We use the omnipod so I'm not sure how your pump works, but could you do an extended "bolus" for the basal she'd be missing?

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We go the untethered route too. Basically Levimere (or Lantus) in the am, then either plug back in to bolus/correct, then unplug. We usually put the pump back on at night to cover the Levimere wearing off (this is what happens to us). We decrease basal by 40% from 8p-5am. Depending on how your child reacts to the long acting you may or may not need to put the pump back on at night.

Talk to your endo about this, as you can see the approach to giving the shot varies, either night before or am the day of...it all depends.

IMO, I prefer this route because we aren't playing catch up later that night for all the unplugging we have to do.

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

That's what we did

We have a medtronic pump.

Detach for one hour - make sure to put your pump in a locker. Then after one hour check blood sugar and reattach pump for a quick snack - need some insulin to stay in system. Typically I don't bolus for missed basal because of the level of activity, but if you find your child goes high, you may have to manually bolus for that hour's missed basal.

To be honest, I found that doing this at waterparks is difficult. Getting the pump, checking, eating, detaching - etc. was very time consuming. I might look into what some of the other parents say about going "untethered" or using MDI for this day.

My husband is completely against my five year old going back to shots, even for a day, so to be honest - we usually avoid waterparks. Small pools are a little easier because I don't do the whole locker thing. But at a waterpark there is no way I would leave out a $5000 life-saving device.

Good luck - and just experiment with different things to see what works for you.

6. Marie4Julia

Marie4Julia Approved members

We did the water park on Wednesday and had a great experience with no D trouble so I thought I'd let you know how we managed. J checked and corrected when we got there, disconnected, and I put the pump in a locker. She carried a tube of gel in the side of her bathing suit, and her brother had one in his pocket. She checked in with me periodically to let me know she was feeling fine. When we met back for lunch 2 hours later she was 72. We reconnected to bolus for lunch, and disconnected again when she was done eating.

After the park at 6pm she was 123... had ice cream and pasta for dinner and spiked to 230, but was low early the next morning. I'm guessing from the extra exercise.

So disconnecting is usually what we do, and it works great for us. I think if she stayed connected we would be fighting lows all day and I would be a nervous wreck with her running all over the park.

I hope this helps and that you have a great time!

7. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

Your endo probably should've given you instructions on using shots for the day! Can you call them and ask for Levemir or NPH basal insulin and you could do fast acting when you eat? We do shots if we are going to be in water for that amount of time.

8. Diana

Diana Approved members

My son just wears his pump the whole time. We have never had an issue. I carry a cheap meter and strips and some candy in a waterproof bag.

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

William keeps his pump on usually - in a water park or a pool. You can always set a lower temp basal if your child tends to go too low.

If you take it off then I wouldn't leave it behind on a chair, etc. We put it in a locker. I think it is too risky that someone would take it if left unattended. However it is a pain to keep going back to the locker!

Shots for the day aren't a bad option either.

10. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son would just not wear the pump. Before running off, he received a bolus of the basal amount for the next four hours. After four hours, he repeated. Usually there was lunch in-between there.

11. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Giving 4 hours of basal upfront would be asking for a low. I wouldn't suggest that anyone try this. A severe low in a water park could be fatal.

12. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I was just reporting what worked for my son. We did this three or four times without any problems.

13. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, it would for me as well. For me, 4 hours of basal insulin is approximately 2.5U. My ISF is 100, so 2.5U would drop my BG circa 250 points. Although that would be offset with the fact that I had no basal, giving the insulin all at once would mean that it hit much harder and much faster. If I were to do the approach where missed basal is bolused for in advance, I'd have to do it hourly at the end of every hour, and only replace ~50% of the basal I had missed.