- advertisement -

What supplies do I need to stockpile?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pjtmg, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Pjtmg

Pjtmg Approved members

All of this is so confusing.... We are only 2 week dx.... What should I keep as a good stockpile? Insurance is killing me... I can't even figure out when I can get things refilled.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

So much depends on your insurance. Ours requires us to get insulin, test strips, lancets, syringes, pen needles, etc. through a mail-order in three month quantities at a time. Now that my daughter is pumping, we get three months of supplies from Medtronic; we're not allowed to get supplies more frequently, which I think is bogus. In the beginning, seeing the large quantities arrive was really hard on me. Now they just get unpacked and put away, and I feel so thankful to have the supplies arriving with minimal hassle compared to what others are dealing with.

3. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Reeelllaaaaax. You're only 2 weeks out--you don't have to stckpile anything. You have at least a month or 3 of stuff. If you get stuff through your pharm, then take your scrips there and tell them to refill them as soon as they are ready. Call your ins and see if you have a mail order place then call the endo and give the info and they will order you a 3 month supply of everything. You can even set up with the mailorder place to automatically refill stuff. Over time you will know what you need. For know don't stress--just take care of you and your baby. :)

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Have you called your insurance company to get them to walk you through your policy?

5. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

When my son was diagnosed 3 months ago, I was horrified there would be an insulin shortage. This seems a little psycho...but quite frankly, nothing is for certain (as we've all learned). My first instinct was to stockpile insulin so if something major happened, I could keep him alive. I felt much better when that panic eased up.

In actuality, I did talk with a friend of mine whose son is d...she told me that there is very little, if anything, that I can run out of that I can't get access to immediately since many drug stores are now open 24 hours.

But enough about my initial response to the diagnosis....I agree that the auto shipment of supplies in the three-month increments is easiest. Over time, you will probably find you have a few extras of everything that you can hold on to...at least this is what my friend explained to me ;)

By the way, I would be careful about stockpiling test strips and lancets toward the beginning because you may want to try other monitors and lancing devices over time and you may find you like another brand better.

6. valerie-k

valerie-k Approved members

sorry to hear your here. You need to have on hand, what makes you comfortable. Having 6 months worth of supplies on hand, is my comfort level. It has taken me years to accomplish this. Another was knowing, I had a back up emergency plan, I knew someone with diabetes who used the same insulin as matt.

For a while, my comfort level was was having many many meters... Even now, I suppose I am overboard, I have 4 one touch ultra links to talk to matts pump. Keeping others here and there, one always in my purse.

Please realize, you can always get any supply at your dr in a pinch. They are also a great place to get extra items, meters, bags...

and if you didnt get one at the hospital, please call your local JDRF chaper and request a bag of hope for your child and get the rufus (or ruby) bear. We have one, it was sent to matt after diagnosis. He still sleeps with him at night.

http://www.jdrf.org/index.cfm?page_id=110888

7. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We don't really stockpile

I have two with diabetes in the house - but we just keep on hand a months worth of supplies. One thing that has helped me, is doing autorefill from the pharmacy when they call me. I can't seem to figure out who's insulin and strips are ready to be refilled at what time.

The other great thing here, is that CVS now has an on-line website where you can see your prescriptions (and you can register your child's). It allows you to see all the prescriptions on file, when they are able to be refilled, and they actually turn red on the screen when you can refill them.

For pump supplies, they automatically send us three months worth, but for everything else, I usually just get one month supply.

Try those ideas and see if they help. ALways keep a glucagon at home and one at school. We also have two main meters - we leave one at school and have one at home. I keep a small mini-meter in my purse and in my car.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Call your insurance and find out what and how much is covered. Ask if they have mail order, that does reduce the price, I know for us it saves about $300 a month. Auto fill always helps, I'm always forgetting when it's time to reorder what! Being able to access online is great too, you can see what you have and don't have.

Things you should always have a good supply of:

Insulin (ideally you'd want 1 extra bottle (2 is even better) always)

Strips- Find out how much insurance covers. Some only cover enough to test 5x's a day. Down the road you will need to test more 8-9. But you want to take into consideration errors, retests, sick days. If insurance says you can only have x amount, call your doctor. They can specifically write the script to say "test 9-10x's a day" This way it will always give you enough and most insurances take this as an override.

Syringes or pen needles

Spare meter-most insurances only cover 1 if that, but most meter companies will send you a free one or a coupon for $$ off.

Lancing device (again you can get samples) and lancets

Non-insurance items:
    Alcohol wipes
    Glucose or fast acting sugar

Hope this helps. Welcome, sorry you had to join us in the pool.:cwds:

9. lynn

lynn Approved members

Oh my word, I remember this panic feeling! The worry about prescriptions and supplies and having enough and being able to pay for them and worrying about what would happen if the insulin factory burned down and how much is my deductible(!)......I was a mess. And do you know what? It was totally unnecessary. Take the advice of the PP and relax. You need to spend your energy on your child right now.

I recommend not thinking about it for a week or two. You probably have enough supplies to get you through that long, don't you? I know the endo stocked us up pretty well at diagnosis. Then in two weeks your mind will be better able to focus and you can call the insurance company and inquire about the best method to fill prescriptions for the least amount of money. The auto-refill if handy too, if it is an option.

Things will get easier and become part of the routine. Give yourself permission to take one thing at a time.

10. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

The best advice is to relax and not worry about this now. Easier said than done, right? Keep in mind that what is needed and prescribed right now may change - 6 months from now you may be using a different meter, different strips, different lancet and even different insulin. So while the 3 month auto refill option is great, you may want to go month by month for a little while. Almost every insurance I've heard about lets you refill prescriptions every month, so plan on refilling immediately even if you still have some on hand. That is how you build a stockpile. Then if you change brands you can worry about what to do with the excess.
    Most copays are based on a per prescription cost, not necessarily on a per box cost. So having the doc prescribe enough strips for you to test 8-10 times per day shouldn't cost more than having it say test 4-5 times a day. Again, that's how you build a backup supply.

11. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Hi :)

It's a lot to take in at once, but you'll get there. Take a sheet of paper and call your pharmacy. I'd say call the insurance company, but the pharmacy can be a faster source.

Go through each script with them and make a list of the next date they can be filled (most insurance companies will refill a 1 month prescription a bit shy of 30 days...like you can refill every 25 or 28 days. And your pharmacy knows how your insurance co works.)

Then just mark your calendar and get refills as often as insurance allows - that will help you stockpile as time goes on.

In the beginning, I stockpiled meters and strips from the various "free" offers on websites, magazines and tv. That was helpful because it gave me enough meters for my son to have a back up in place pretty much everywhere he would be (school, backpack, sports bag, my car, grandma's house, etc.)

Welcome to D. You're going to get to know your pharmacist on a 1st name basis soon :cwds: