- advertisement -

What snacks to have?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Phovos the Raptor, Sep 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Phovos the Raptor

Phovos the Raptor New Member

So basically, I am screwed.

Everyone says I need to find healthier snacks to eat between meals. But all the stuff people suggest to me don't work.

Most people say have fruit, but further reading on the web has said that fruit is a bad idea. Worse, I can't take fruit to school due to it getting bruised or squished in my bag, and it causes my bloodsugar to spike then drop again, in very little time.

Some people say vegetables. I don't like raw veg. Never have done. I don't mind a salad, but I don't like plain old raw veg. Also, this doesn't provide me with enough energy.

A few people say nuts and things like that, but again, they are, as everyone says, full of fat, and plain nuts are either stupidly expensive where I live or they are covered in salt and oil.

The only snack I have found that stops me from going hypo in between meals, and is actually edible is the *insert nasty adjective here* biscuit, ginger nuts in particular. I try and avoid chocolatey ones, but siblings want chocolate biscuits.

And before anyone says maybe I need to change my insulin (I do 4 injections a day), I have tried everything.

Help?

-Phovos

2. Jordan

Jordan Approved members

Here are just a few options;
    -Animal crackers
    -wheat thins
    - triscuits
    -ritz crackers
    -pretzels
    -100 calorie packs of crackers/ cookies

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I like fruit. I snack on fruit most days. Plums, mangos, apples, - bananas will squish, so don't use them. Oranges are good too.

I don't see a problem with eating fat and I do eat nuts. Lots of 'em. The only issue I do see with nuts and health is that they are often salted- sometimes too much.

4. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

How about a pump? With basals set right you can go without eating for as long as you like (in theory). You can tailor your basal rates to suit varying basal needs during the day.