- advertisement -

What should I do about the new Dexcom receiver we just got...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Nov 6, 2014.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Okay I have a question with my son's new receiver. My son is 17 and turning 18 in January. He has used Dexcom G4 since it came out and Dexcom 7+ before that. As usual I ordered him the new receiver because his just went out of warranty(receiver only we had just got new transmitter). They sent Pediatric version this time because that is what came out for under 18. It simply has an extra screen at start up. No big deal there. Problem I have now is that the new Dexcom software (read below) with AI algorithm just approved by FDA is for ONLY ADULT receivers. I checked with Dexcom and they said this was true. I have not opened the receiver and have 30 days to send it back. So, should I send it back and hope this one does not break and try to wait out until mid Jan for his birthday so I can get the update??

2. dianas

dianas Approved members

I would call Dexcom and ask if you are locked into the pediatric receiver for a year. Maybe since it's under warranty they would swap it out for the adult version once he turns 18 or maybe they will have an upgrade offer for situations like your sons. I would think since you're within the return period they are going to have to figure something out for these pediatric patients getting new receivers within 90 days of the release.

Only you can decide the risk of two or three months without warranty vs 10 months of not being able to upgrade to the latest software if that's how it ends up. How long did it take to process your receiver through insurance and is it a hassle? One good thing, they'll have all of the documentation if you do decide to send it back. Assuming your CGMS coverage and requirements are the same for next year. Don't forget to factor in the cost of deductibles too if you wait till January.

If you decide to keep the pediatric receiver for now I would ask Dexcom what they would do if it needed warranty replacement after your son turns 18. Does he get the adult receiver with the new software or will he get another pediatric receiver?

Also would using Dexcom share or Nightscout give you a buffer to tide you over with the out of warranty receiver? my issues with the receiver have either been loss of volume or the charging port quit working not anything to do with reading transmitter.

How old is his out of warranty receiver? Has it been replaced at all so maybe it's only 6 months old and not a year plus?

Good luck with your decision, those are issues I would consider for myself or if I was in your shoes.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

The only thing we ever had go wrong with our receivers was the wheel button stopped working like it should. I remember this receiver was replaced less than a year ago because I thought the sound was not working. So usually we get them every year, but this one is actually less. I had forgotten about that .
    Good questions to ask Dexcom thanks.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I can speak to the reverse of this. My daughter's first receiver was adult (pre peds approval), when it broke while under warranty, they send a pediatric one - so they can switch the style (but not the color - which is stupid)

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Holy smokes this receiver we are currently using we got in September as a replacement. So it is not old at all.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I would send it back or see if they can swap. I had to get a new Dex in June when her receiver died - it lasted 18 months. I expected the pediatric receiver but they sent the regular and I'm fine with it. I don't know how it's decided.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I would return it if you do not need it yet. If you need it now I would call Dexcom and talk about the possibility to switch out at 18