- advertisement -

what pump do you use, and what do you like & dislike about it?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ChaosRules, Apr 15, 2014.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Sorry I meant to say "off Label"

2. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

We got the MM 530g and cgm late December. We were new to cgm'ing and knew going into the decision that Dexcom was more accurate. We made the decision to go with MM because they had the suspend feature and Abbey will be graduating from high school next year and going off to college, undetected lows at night are my biggest fear for her. As far as remembering to charge a t-slim, Abbey is one of the most responsible people I know and I know the t-slim would only get charged if I did it for her. We were disappointed that MM stuck with the same old style of pump, but it is shoved in her jeans pocket most of the time and was not a deciding factor.

3. ChaosRules

ChaosRules Approved members

How are you going to make sure it stays charged when she goes off to college? Maybe she'll step up, knowing you're not there to do it for her?

That's probably my biggest issue with the t-slim. I wish it didn't have that "one more thing to think about" when my son is going through the transition to college, with all sorts of things to think about, remember, and be responsible for that he doesn't have now.

Apparently, there are no extra batteries you can buy and keep charged, just in case. When the battery in the t-slim goes bad, you have to replace the entire pump. At least, that's my understanding.

ETA: Oh, I just realized that's why you went with the MM, not the t-slim! Never mind my questions!

4. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Some people use one of those cheap battery chargers that you can carry for a phone, etc. The pump is warrantied for 4 years, just like all of the rest, so no worries there. I don't think it is a big deal at all to charge it while showering. They have to take it off anyway! In a shared bathroom in a dorm it might be harder, but if you have to carry all of your other things, just keep the cord with your other shower items.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

The pump also does not need to be disconnected to charge, so a student that is sitting in front of a computer or has a laptop could just plug in that computer. (I believe)

6. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Correct, you do not have to disconnect to charge. Honestly, 5 minutes of charge will give you a full day's worth of battery, so if it gets run down to the last 5 percent, it won't take much to keep it going to get you back from school or work for a proper charge.

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Unless you just had a college visit to home and left the charger at home and needed your mommy to overnight it to you...:tongue:...not that *I* would know anything about that! (and luckily Walgreen's carries basic USB chargers that work in a pinch).

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

No way! I'd kill my kid (I mean I'd send it, but I'd be SO irritated; I get irked when she forgets stuff at school now). We have so many of those micro usb chargers plugged in in various rooms on various floors of our house (Dexcom, t:slim, 3 android phones, car chargers in both cars, kindle, kindle fire) that my daughter would be hard pressed to be unable to find one to plug herself into for 5 minutes. But it wouldn't hurt to have one of those portable chargers, too. I'm going to pick one up for our Disney trip this summer (since I hear that the My Disney Experience app is tough on the phone battery) and after that, I'll probably throw it in her purse with her other D stuff just in case.

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

KEYWORD: "our house". Not in dorm. Plenty here. Apparently none there! Yep, this happened. College is a learning experience for all, and a trial of patience for mom.

10. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I'm an adult, very responsible, organized, etc. I carry one of those portable pocket size recharger batteries and one of those three tipped charging cables (apple lightening, apple 30 pin, and micro usb) at all times, and a few days ago, I ended up with a completely dead t-slim battery. It happens to the best of us. But, I didn't die and was able to avoid any serious repurcusions from the incident. Just saying, it happens and we manage. I try to be prepared for everything, and sometimes that means being able to roll with it and fix on the fly when I screw up. Would I go and admit that to my parents, my doctor, or anyone who knew my real name, probably not :) But it's also probably not going to happen again any time soon.