- advertisement -

what pump do you use, and what do you like & dislike about it?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ChaosRules, Apr 15, 2014.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

As I stated above, we switched from MM to the t:slim, and are very happy with it. However, if your son likes the MM and is comfortable with it, I don't see any reason why he needs to switch unless he wants to. Medtronic will sell you a 530G without the transmitter and sensors. They just like to see if they can convince you to buy the whole package.

Maybe get ahold of your local Tandem rep and see if they will get you a loaner pump so he can play with it. Our rep overnighted me a pump to play with over a weekend, along with an envelope to return it in. Their customer service is very good.

If he's worried about learning something new, tell him it took my-then 9 year old about 3 seconds to learn to operate the t:slim. It really is super easy and intuitive. The one drawback to me is that the process to change a cartridge does take longer than on MM.

But again, get ahold of one and let him play with it. And if still wants to go with MM again, don't make a fuss about it. MM does make good, solid pumps, and it really isn't going to affect his overall health one way or the other.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If he is comfortable with the pump he has and knows how to trouble shoot it on his own then why not just stick with it? The t:slim was very easy to use and set up, the cartridge change was very different process but if I remember correctly there were on screen instruction, I think. So not hard just very different.

3. ChaosRules

ChaosRules Approved members

When I talked to them a few months ago, they flat-out refused to sell me a pump without the transmitter/sensor part, since he's over 12. Maybe I just got a bad rep, but I tried arguing for a while and she didn't budge. I even told her that meant we would have to switch pump companies and she didn't care.

I can try again for my son's sake, but it really turned me off from the company.

So that's why we're looking for a different brand of pump. I'm just afraid that since this pump is so old that could well fail while he's away at school, and I don't want to have to face this change while he's so far away. Also, I don't know how long it will take for insurance to OK a new pump, and I don't want him to not have a working pump during that process.

4. ChaosRules

See my post above. :)

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son still had a working Ping when he went to college, so I sent it with him as a backup, along with batteries and basal settings. He's actually had to have a pump overnighted and chose not to use his old pump but it gives me peace of mind to have it there. I send lantus too though.

6. hawkeyegirl

Yeah, I think people on here have reported that MM is trying to bully them into buying the whole system, but I believe at least some folks have had success with buying just the pump. I'd be mad too, in your shoes. It's absurd, and really an act of desperation on their part.

I hope you end up with a solution that makes your son happy. :)

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Do you have a DME distributor that you work with? Maybe call them and tell them that you only want the pump and let them do the footwork/argueing. that is just silly.

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

There is no way on earth that I would beg Medtronic or any other company to sell me a pump. By doing this, they are pushing more and more people towards other pumps and away from them. I love new technology, but HATE having to learn it. I found the Tslim super easy to learn, and the reservoir filling is really very simple. The instructions are all step by step on the screen for you.

9. ChaosRules

So, all you T:slim lovers, how often do you have to charge the battery? My son sometimes lets his phone battery go dead, so I'm worried about this rechargeable one. The more he has to remember to do, the less likely it will be successful.

10. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I'd say once or twice a week for 20 minutes regularly. That's enough to keep it going pretty much, but not to get it anywhere near 100% if it didn't start near there. A couple times a month, she'll charges it to 100% - maybe on a 30+ minute car trip, when she's doing homework, something like that.

11. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My daughter's is rarely fully charged. She probably plugs it in 2-3 times a week for the length of a shower. If she gets to 20%, I make her plug in while on the computer, otherwise we just charge while she's disconnected for a shower. We also keep a few of those portable chargers - the ones that look sort of like a lipstick tube - so that we can charge a CGM or pump on the morning bus ride ;) I'd love to say we've never noticed a very low battery five minutes before the kids leave...but I can't.

12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yeah, as many times as I remind him that a quick daily charge will fend off problems...he's let it run to zero more than once. He forgot the charger at home last visit and I had to overnight it, and even with that he had to go buy a new plug. Luckily it's just a basic USB and easily available.

He charges a few times a week.

13. hawkeyegirl

We keep a charger in the bathroom, and are in the routine of plugging it in every time he takes a shower. We rarely have to charge other than that.

14. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

My daughter does the same, everyday during her shower. You take it off to shower anyway, so very easy to just plug it in. Keeps it at nearly 100%. They say it uses 10% battery life per day. The trainer told us that is was best to keep it charged rather than let it run down. She wears one herself. My daughter does let her Dex run low and charges it overnight mostly.

15. ChaosRules

Battery charging sounds like the biggest drawback to the T:slim. That's just one more thing he'd have to think about. But I think we're going to go with it anyway. The portable charger is a great idea!

16. Mom2CNC

Mom2CNC Approved members

Can I ask if any younger kids use the T-Slim? My 9yo & I both use the Ping and are thinking of switching soon.

17. hawkeyegirl

My son is 10 now, but was 9 when we switched to the t:slim last year. He learned to use it in about 3 seconds. :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  18. Mom2CNC

Mom2CNC Approved members

Great, thanks! The website says for ages 12 & up so I was curious if it was available for younger kids.

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We got one when she was 8yrs, Drs Rx things all the time "off able".

20. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Another below age 12 user here - my daughter started on hers at 10.