- advertisement -

what pump do you use, and what do you like & dislike about it?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ChaosRules, Apr 15, 2014.

1. ChaosRules

ChaosRules Approved members

My son has used a Minimed Paradigm 722 for about 4-1/2 years now - it's the only pump he's ever used, and he got it about 6 months after diagnosis. A couple years ago, he got approved by insurance for a CGM, so we got a Dexcom Seven Plus, and now's he's upgraded to a G4.

His pump is well out of warranty, and since he's headed off to college in the fall, I'm thinking I'd like to replace it now, so he's less likely to run into problems that will be much more difficult to solve with him so far away. He'd love to just upgrade to a new Medtronic pump, since it would probably be most similar to the one he's used to. The problem with that is that they won't sell us one without an integrated CGM. First of all, I'm not sure insurance would cover such a pump since he already has a CGM that they cover. Secondly, if they do OK the pump, I can't imagine they'd continue covering supplies for the G4, or a new Dexcom system whenever they come out with one. He'd like to stick with the G4, so I guess we're stuck trying to find a new pump.

What is everyone else here doing? If you have a Medtronic pump/CGM, do you also have another CGM? If you have and love your G4, what pump do you use?

Thanks!!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Mine has the MM 723 and the G4. Her pump will be out of warranty in about 8 months and we'll likely go for the t:Slim. She has no interest in the pod, dislikes the animas bolus dial up and the tiny cartridge so short of getting the new MM and just not activating the sensor and not buying the sensors after the first kit, it's pretty much the only option.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

There is still the Accu-Chek Combo.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Ok, I'm really not trying to be obnoxious but their US market share is?? what? 1%? less?

Maybe it's the hipster pump? Just retro looking enough to be "cool" :tongue: Correct me if I'm wrong but it's 6 year old, or older, technology that just floundered at the FDA and finally got approved?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My daughter uses the G4 with a T:Slim and my son uses OmniPod with his G4.

I love the T:Slim. Our only drawback has been getting used to charging it. We charge 2 dexcoms and a pump and it took awhile to get into a pattern that kept it charged. I love the way it doses, love the ability to customize everything (.28 basals, temp basal for 15 minutes at 71%, etc), love the screen. It's very intuitive and has a great reservoir size.

I don't love the OmniPod. We are one of the families that has had horrible luck with failures. I jinxed us yesterday by noticing that we were almost through a box and had no failures...and then one failed at dinner during his bolus. I do like that it's tubeless but compared to the T:slim, it just seems so basic. Small buttons that stick, feels like more confirmations, can't edit basals without suspending it, etc. The test strip issue has been an extra hassle. Both my kids had higher a1cs with it, too. DD's is back down since she switched but DS's is about a point higher. Can't say that's all the pump though - he is just less concerned with bolusing and carb counting than she is. Tubeless is nice, though.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter uses the DexG4 and Animas Ping. I'm satisfied with the Ping, but not in love with it. I'm satisfied because it does the job it's supposed to do, but that's about it. With a growing pre-teen, I'm finding the "200u" cartridge a challenge. We have to change out sets for her every 3 days, so that means every 1.5 we are having to change cartridges. Just hard to keep track. I like the fact that it has the remote, my daughter likes that too. Makes blousing easier when she's busy doing stuff and she doesn't have to dig for her pump.

Now, if I was told I'd have to give one item up, it would hands down be the pump. The Dexcom has incredible accuracy and definitely makes things easier. If I had to go get a new pump today, it most likely would be the T-Slim. I'd love to go with the MM, but from a CGM standpoint, it just doesn't hold a candle to Dex accuracy.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My son had a MM 522 for about 5 years, and when it died a watery death, we switched to the t:slim. We love it. So intuitive and easy to use, and finally a piece of technology that doesn't look like it belongs in 1985.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter uses the t:slim too and loves it (although it's her first pump). I felt it really was most intuitive for a person new to pumping.

I had an opportunity to handle the Asante Snap recently and while I didn't love the interface (prefer t:slim entry format and screens in general) - it has a lot of advantages for a kid going to college. Every time you change the reservoir you are changing the battery, so you never have to have a battery handy. You don't have to draw up insulin into a syringe - just pop the glass Humalog 300 unit pen cartridge in the pump, and then it primes itself. There is absolutely no labor involved in the cartridge change process.

9. ChaosRules

Thanks, everyone! Sounds like people like the t-slim best in general. I'll let my son know - I'm sure it will help with his decision! I want to get him a new pump as soon as we can, so he has time to get used to it before he has a whole new life to get used to (without my help!).

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Tslim and very satisfied. Touch screen technology, ease of use, instinctive menu, larger cartridge size are all why we made the switch (from Ping). Has Dexcom that is used sporadically.

11. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We're seemingly in the minority that have had very few issues with Omnipod. I know many do. The product itself we love. The company with the roll out mess and now the strips debacle makes me not want to recommend it to anyone. It seems to be a product that either works for you and it's great or you have endless hassles with it and switch.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

FYI,

Not sure what insulin you use but there are occlusion issues between the t:slim and Apridra.

13. ChaosRules

He uses Humalog. What do you mean, occlusion issues?

14. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Apidra simply clogs up in the tslim, something with the way it is compressed in the cartridge or something, I can't recall the reasons it happens, but it definitely happened here. Switched back to novolog, no issues with occlusions.

15. ChaosRules

OK, thanks. It shouldn't be an issue, then. :)

16. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Out of all the pumps we have used the Animas Ping has been the most reliable and easiest to use for us and while we used the OmniPod for a good stretch and tried the t:sim we are back the the Ping, but looking at the Accu-chek Combo.

I really like on the Ping that you can change settings on the fly: ISF / target / I:C when you are bolusing. Works great for times that she is eating late, or her numbers are being stubborn and I want to be more aggressive on a correction. I don't like that you can not permanently change setting from the meter/remote or that you can not set a temp basal from the remote either. We are not in puberty so the cartridge size is not an issue yet. I like that you the pump is fully functional, although I wish it too had a back button like the remote.

The OmniPod I never really got used to how it bloused, or should I say figured out IOB compared to the Animas. I hated not being able to just change a setting on the fly. The scream of death and my dd not being able to draw up insulin well enough kept her from being able to replace them at school herself. Then the whole strip issue that did cause an increasein A1c for her just put me over the edge and wanting to go back to the PING.

The t:slim well we ordered it and played with it and sent it back before getting trained on it. OUr endo would not continue to Rx Apidra with the t:slim and was willing to try Novolog again because I really liked the idea of the t:slim. But, I could not get over how it does not reverse correct like the Animas or POD and felt that my dd would be at risk of going low because the lack of a reverse correction. Many do not rely on the reverse correction and just have some uncovered carbs, but we have never worked that way and did not feel this would be a good pump for my dd to transition to during independence. For many people this is not an issue and for a lot of other it is. Since we also often go to untethered pumping the t:slim is not as accommodating to that method because the boluses take forever. I do have to say that the actual touch screen interface is wonderful and the fact that if you get distracted in the middle of doing something it will go right back to where you were. the built in calculator was supper nice.

17. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Not being argumentative at all, just for clarity I do want to say that while we loved the Ping and had zero issues, I would NOT recommend it to a 17 year old male. 200unit cartridge size is simply too small when your basal alone is close to 40 units per day, add in teenage appetite and you are doing cartridge changes every other day.

It's a great pump and I can easily recommend it, just not for a teenage boy!

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yup, and that is why I had said something about the Accu-chek combo, it has a 315unit cartridge and is similar to the Ping if you are one to mostly use the remote and not the pump. Because on the Accu-check the pump does not have the bolus calculator just the remote does. But the remote is fully fuctional and you can change basals and other setting from the remote.

I have only played with the Accu-chek Combo once so far but was impressed with all of the reminders you can set and the custom ability of the menus and ability to change a bolus with a predetermined +/- % based on a selected health status. So a lot to like about it, and a few things that I would dislike but could live with.

19. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Tslim, hands down. She has had it for about a month now, after using Omnipod for 5 years. Love it! She has a developmental disability and the reason I chose it was because I knew it was the best fit for her, and to be able to teach her staff to use, as she is moving very soon and will have full time rotating staff. Both my daughter and the staff have found it super easy to use, site changes are simple, just follow the instructions on the screen. Her basals had to be decreased by about 20%, something about the micro delivery seems to be the consensus as to why this happens to so many people. The stinging bolus from the Animas pump is something that I was afraid of for her. Some people don't have any problems with it, but when I looked at the two pumps, there just is no comparison. Tandem customer service is awesome.
    I used to recommend the Omnipod, but at this point would only suggest that someone use the Cut the Cord program. You don't want to get locked into 4 years with an Omnipod. I can't see her using it again except as back up in case of a problem with the Tslim.

20. ChaosRules

Thanks for the input. It sounds more complicated than my son is willing to do. He doesn't tend to use fancy features on the pump he has, and I think he'd be happiest with a T-slim. So your posts helped me confirm that he'd do best with a T-slim.

He's being slow at making this decision, because he's really comfortable with the Minimed and doesn't want to have to learn something new. But I think it's wise to do it now before he moves away, rather than risk having to do it 1000 miles away from home while dealing with the other stresses of college.