- advertisement -

What people say behing our backs

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mama2H, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Grrrrr, my mom just called me. I guess at my brother's welcome home from Iraq party one of Hailey's school cooks was there. She cornered my mom (the cook was drunk) and went on and on about how the cooks didn't want to figure carbs, it wasn't fair, they don't have the time to do it, it's not thier job, they have no business doing this, this shouldn't be thier worry, they are not qualified to do that, on and on and on. My mom said she didn't tell me at the party cause she had to hold herself back from slapping this lady and she knew that I would let her have it. I guess my mom was talking to a dietician today and the dietician was telling her the laws (I already knew but never went that indepth with mom) and my mom was even more mad and wants me to go to the school board :eek: Ugh, no real point to this thread other to vent over the fact that to my face these ladies have all been agreeable but now I find out behind my back they are *itchin and throwing hissy fits :mad: I did finally get a carb counted menu for October but now I wonder how much of it is truly accurate and if they are measuring the food like they promised me they would. It would explain some unexpected highs/lows after school lunches :(

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

at the risk of offending all lunch ladies out there - I'd like to take a hair net and strangle them all for you.

3. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

My mil is a lunch lady at a different school and she wants to MURDER them LOL. My mil has been the greatest help in all of this. She even got the head cook at her school to try to help our head cook, who of coarse couldn't grasp what was being taught to her. Honestly our head cook has no business being a head cook. She was hired just before school started and her only experience (no degree) is working in a nursing home kitchen as a cook :( I had to TEACH her how to read a nutrition label because the first carb list she gave me was actually calories and she couldn't figure out why I was telling her it was wrong :(

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

Wow- we have a GREAT lunch lady who really looks out for my baby...I think it should not be you again the lunch lady (not knowing you, but going on my school years - she just might take you) (i just added that in so I would also be in trouble - not just the hair net comment;))

It should be the school upholding the standards. The cafteria needs to provide the information to all of the students who want it, not just the D kid.

Our carb counts, alleregen info, and fat ad calories, are printed on every meal...

5. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

The other lunch ladies (not head cook) are the same ones from when I was in school here. There is a kid this year that has a peanut butter alergy so they have made the entire school nut free, no exceptions.

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

This most certainly needs to be reported to the principal of the school, who has a right to know what someone from her school has been saying, and whoever is in charge of food service county-wide (i.e., the lunch lady's boss). This is NOT acceptable and should NOT be tolerated.

Okay, now that I'm done yelling - LOL! - here's a big {{HUG}} for you and I'm sorry this woman is being so cruel.....

7. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Nicole~
    Knowing you... I'm sure this is just making you fume and wonder. You're not going to get an accurate carb count from lunch at school, period. You aren't in control of the preparation of the food so just tell yourself that right now - it is out of the question, more importantly out of your control.
    Everyone is allowed to have some drinks and be stupid. But ...to have some drinks, and be stupid by telling a Grandma of a child at the school they work at how badly they hate what they do for this child is absolutely brainless.
    I would definitely think about saying something. Maybe to the person that told you the cook that they hired was ABLE TO COUNT CARBS for you. That is one of the reasons they hired this person, I thought. Maybe the cooks concerns need to be brought up in front of you and your husband with the principal. I don't think you need to be worrying everyday whether or not the food your child is eating is accurate. The only way that I can possibly see around this is a cold lunch.

8. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

LMAO!!!! When I read this I had just taken a sip of my coffee and it has now been sprayed all over my monitor :D:rolleyes:

9. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Ugh, I know Lanae :( she told them in the interview that she could carb count :( Hailey and I have discussed cold lunching it but she doesn't want to be different, the only other kids in school that cold lunches is doing it because of an allergy and everyone knows it.

10. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Well, I called my husband and since he seems to have more pull with the schools he is putting a call into the principal this afternoon. Wish us luck. He is madder than I am :(

11. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Good luck, I think I wouldn't be able to just let this go either.

12. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

GOOD! this just isn't right.

13. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Anyone know the HIPPA laws when it comes to cooks? My dh is really pissed saying that they are not suppose to talk to ANYONE about Hailey, even if it is her grandma.

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Our school has a strict privacy rule, teachers may speak with teachers about a student if needed, nurses to nurses if it applies to them.

I could see if she was consulting on something, put this was plain complaining/gossip. She crossed the line. Kudos to your mom for not decking the lady. She has more patience than I!

On a side note, does the cook have a drinking problem? Could she be a danger to herself and others in the kitchen????

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

wow.. I can't believe that.. to be bad mouthing someone like.. it IS her job to know these things, it IS her job to make sure that she is getting the correct serving.. wow.. I think I'm at a loss for words (who would have ever thought!! LOL) I would definitely let the school know.. they need to know that she may not be doing what she is suppose to be doing for Hailey.. if she's that bent about it, my guess is she isn't measuring/counting/weighing like she should.. and if she couldn't figure out that carbs were different than calories she needs some lessons!

16. melaniej

melaniej Approved members

we go thru the lunch menu we get one monthly and do the best we can ty has a gluten free lunch provided every day awesome :D and he comes home with pretty good numbers !!!! weve never had the cafe do carb counting i dont think i would trust it most people just dont get it i was so totally confused when he was first dx the visiting nurse always came at dinner and he could tell what was on the plate just by looking i was in awe but can do ths same now i would look into getting a menu and doing it myself she may just be confused and frustrared not that that gives her the right to make the comments she made jerk :mad: good luck

17. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom Approved members

Thank god the cook was drunk. If she wasn't you might have never found out she/they were incapable of counting carbs and then you'd be left wondering why you could never get her lunch bolus right. Good luck with the principal. From your posts I'm sure you'll fight and win. You set a great example for the rest of us!

ryan

18. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

She shouldn't be talking to ANYONE but you parents and to staff in the school who need to know (So, she can talk about it with another cook who is helping carb count but not to the person mopping the floor - and definitely just gossipy chit chat at school or anywhere else).

From what little I remember from school law:
    HIPPA - I think it is just focused on medical providers, insurance, etc.

There is FERPA (Famiy Educational Rights in Public Schools) - but that is focused on students' educational records.

Best guess though it that it falls under your 504 plan - 1) they are violating the data privacy component of that; 2) that they have discriminated against your daughter in the form of "humiliation".

If the principal is good, he or she should get right on this completely inappropriate behavior. Keep us posted.

19. madde

madde Approved members

How stupid of this cook at the school to complain about Haley's carb counting to her OWN GRANDMOTHER. Big mistake No.1. This is absolutely ridiculous. Just do your job and keep a lid on it. I would be very upset over this. I hope the school board/principal sets this person straight and things get cleared up.

Sorry, If diabetes isn't hard enough!!!

20. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

BTW...welcome home to your brother. {{{hugs}}} to him and your whole family for their sacrifices. I'm glad he made it home safe.