- advertisement -

What % of the time away from house do you carry glucagon?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, May 6, 2014.

?

What % of the time do you carry glucagon?

1. 0% - 5%

17 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. 6% - 25%

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. 26% - 50%

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. 51% - 75%

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. 76% - 100%

35 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

In situations where you are more than 10 minutes away from home but less than an hour away from home, what % of the time do you carry glucagon?

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We used to carry it everywhere. Now I only pack it if we're going somewhere overnight.

3. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

I voted 76-100%, I have it with me all the time. I don't feel comfortable being without it. We have Dex, I am very proactive watching his trends, and I know that I can usually get my son's BG up, but there have been the few instances where he has dropped quick and had a really hard time coming back up, having seen those times and having had to use the glucagon on him before I don't ever want to be without it.

4. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I'm with you. Used to bring it everywhere, but now rarely take it along unless we're going away over night. Although I often find myself away from the house and wondering, 'why don't I have it with me'? I'm usually thinking this when I've got double arrows down on the CGM.

5. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

100% of the time.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We didn't carry it for the first year as we'd been told at diagnosis that seizures happen in the middle of the night. Then, we had a low where my daughter slurred and staggered. It's been in her bag ever since.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Almost never unless we're going somewhere overnight, although we do keep one in the bag that we take to sports practices and games.

8. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Its in her bag that has her meter etc. which we always bring wherever we go. So its not really something that we are consciously making a decision about every time we go out. Actually I just realized that ours will be expiring soon so I'm glad you brought it up!

9. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

For the first year -- very rarely. We had two, one was at school, one with our supplies at home. I had to really think about bringing it, so I only brought it when we were on a major trip/overnight. At our appointment in March, they wrote the prescription for three at a time. So one is at school, one is at home and one is in my purse. So if I am with her, it is along for the ride. She goes a lot of places without me though and she doesn't bring it then. I voted 51-75%

10. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

One is at school and one is in his supply bag which is stitched to his back (just kidding).

11. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Never carry one. I don't ever remember carrying it. We do have them in the office at each school and we have some at home but unless I'm packing for vacation, glucagon never leaves the shelf. When we do go on vacation, it's packed with extra supplies and not something we keep on us.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I have one in a never used pocket of my bag. I keep one in the glove box in the car. She never carries it.

I've also gone years without one in my bag. We've not yet needed it.

ETA she has one in her sports bag. That's the only time she carries one

13. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

100% of the time that he's with me (it's in my purse) and he has another at school. Lately, twice a month he's been going to the movies and lunch with his "big brother" (an adult Type 1 who was diagnosed at the same age as him that we've come to know and trust) and he doesn't take it with him. I guess I could add it to his bag, but I trust that between the two of them, they can manage their numbers :)

14. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We're either carrying it or at a place where one is stashed like school.

15. namegirl

namegirl Approved members

100% of the time.

16. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Maybe 75% of the time. I have one in my book bag, one in my main purse, and one in the "back up kit" (extra set, syringes, ketone meter/strips etc.) that theoretically goes with me everywhere. Extras just stay at home. If I am not bringing a bag with me though I won't have it. When I was younger at least two were in the diabetes bag that was supposed to be with me at all times.

Also, lilly has a great glucagon app. It will walk you through all the steps in an emergency and also has a button to call 911. It also has a really great practice tutorial that has you virtually do the steps by swiping on your phone. It is free.

ETA: I mainly carry it because I use symlin which can make it near impossible to treat a low with oral glucose.

17. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

In the 16+ years (now 20 years old) , my son has lived with diabetes, I carried the glucagon with me for about 5 years. Until the end of high school, I left it at home during the day and just brought on overnight trips. This worked until college. Now he doesn't even have any in his place where he lives. It stays at our house as he has no one to administer it if needed where he lives. EMS is just around the corner from his house.

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

yup it is in her diabetes kit at the bottom under the juice boxes.

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

20. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

She always carries glucagon. It's in her kit, we don't bother taking it out. She also has a few at school, and various places around then house. I don't want to have to run around looking for it if it's ever needed.