- advertisement -

What number are you "comfortable" with?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by aslan1994, Oct 29, 2011.

1. aslan1994

aslan1994 Approved members

I usually check my dd when I go to bed, around 12 or 1 am. If she is at the high end of her range, I usually feel that she will probably not drop too low over night. But if she is at or below 100, I am a bit anxious- wondering how much lower it will drop while we are all sleeping. My usual solution is to not sleep much, but check her all night long- giving juice as needed. Just tonight at midnight, she was 96 - which any other time I would love. :cwds: I checked her again at 1am, down to 83. I gave her some juice, which she hates being woken for, and am setting my alarm for 2am. Just wondering from you all who are better at this than me, what late night number are you good with? - meaning you don't feel the need to check again in the wee hours?

2. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I like to see 130ish when my son goes to bed, then I check him around 3am and most days we're up by 6:30am.

I might feel comfortable with a lower number if he had a cgms, but he doesn't, so that's how we roll for now.

ETA: I don't have any nights I don't feel the need to check - the hard to explain lows and highs I've found during many night squash that. If he's away from home (sleepovers, etc) then we shoot for closer to 140 bedtime and I just hold my breath till I hear from him in the morning.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I treat anything below 90 at night. YDMV, but I'm hypo unaware and that can just get too low too quickly for my liking.

4. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

there is none LOL! I usually check Ashleigh twice in the middle of the night. Most times around midnight and 4am. As for numbers that i don't feel the need to correct. Ashleigh's target range at night is 100-160, however i will let her go down to 90 before doing anything. Less then 90 I make her drink some juice. Most mornings she doesn't even remember drinking it. I give insulin for numbers over 160. I just bolus through the pump, so she sleeps through everything.

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

At my bedtime - >130

My son is 4 1/2, but when I go to bed, I will make him eat if bs is lower than 130. I hate to see 110s or 120s because even though they are good at the time, I worry that he will go low.

If he is above 130 - (no insulin on board), I do nothing and sleep well the rest of the night.

I only recheck in the middle of the night if things are wierd.

6. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We are happy with sleep numbers in the 90s+, but we never skip any night checks either. We've seen too many wonky numbers to not check him.

7. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Caroline tends to go to bed at a good number, go high (like 250) around 11pm and then drop to about 140 around 2-3am. At that point I feel that I can sleep the rest of the night since there's no IOB. She's usually around 130 at 7am these days which is higher than the 90 she used to be.

If she climbed higher than the 250 at the 11pm check (more like 300) and I give her a correction, I check her multiple times until the correction insulin is gone and I feel that she's at a good #.

This is just what I do, but I'm new at this.

8. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

I check Sophie at Midnight every night, if she's over 250, I correct, or under 110, I give her a small sip of juice. The few times I didn't, she woke up later in the lower 70's. But truthfully, we hardly see numbers in the lower 100's at all.

9. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

We do night checks at midnight and 3AM every night - no exceptions. Every time we catch a low, we are reminded of why we do night checks. Last night at midnight Andrew was 58. I can't imagine NOT checking. Too many variables involved - aports, hormones, stress.... Anyway, anything under 100 gets treated, anything over 200 gets corrected. He sleeps through the checks and corrections, and obviously I have to wake him up to have him drink juice.

10. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

My son wears a dexcom cgm. If the sensor is accurate, I am comfortable with him in the mid 80s and above. We correct anything over 150- even at night. We also check bg-a lot.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We have a CGM. We treat anything under 85 at night, and correct at 120 or so.

12. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

I check every night at 2 am, regardless of bedtime number. Like what has been said in pp, there is usually a "good" reason, as I often give insulin (via the pump) if she is over 130 or juice if she is below 95. I buy juice boxes with little straws, so she doesn't need to be fully awake to drink.

DD has been on the pump for nearly a year, and we have not "nailed" basal rates for any time of day, including night time.

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

He's currently 137,a nd ordinarily I'd be more than ok with that, but our late evening/overnight BGs have just gotten a mind of their own. Up the basal, he goes low, lower the basal, he goes high, no matter what was dinner, what little activity, etc. It's our "problem area", so to speak. I may just have to rework when the actual basal increments (pump) start i/o reworking the current profile. I have no idea.

Anyway, to answer your question, I normally would be ok with a 150. Anything lower and I tend to get nervous.

14. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Our nighttime target is 120. We generally don't correct until BG is 140 or over.

We generally do not treat unless BG is less than 90, but -- depending on a lot of different circumstances (daily activity, time of BG check, etc.) -- "treat" might mean backing off of the basal for a bit rather than waking her.

15. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

Our nighttime target is 150. No corrections unless it is over 180 as per Endo.

We generally do not treat unless BG is less than 120 but this depends on the activity, snack type of play etc. Fat and protein seem to help us get through the night but even that can be funky at times.

16. aslan1994

aslan1994 Approved members

Thanks

I appreciate everyone's input. It's interesting that there are so many differences - I guess YDMV really is true! I envy the people who correct if above 120. I think that level of control is awesome, but I personally would be scared to try it - there have been so many nights when my dd would be in the upper 200's, I didn't correct because I didn't know you could correct when not eating something - (I was still new at this), and she would wake up in the morning at 120 or so. If she can drop 150 or more points during the night with no extra insulin, she needs to start off the night high. (or so I thought). Maybe the pump will help with that- our endo is still tweaking her basal rates- especially at night. Maybe someday I'll understand all this ... :eek: