- advertisement -

What number are you comfortable with as a first thing in the morning reading?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Adrienne, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Adrienne

Adrienne Approved members

I would like Livie's to be around 120 (I have no clue why, we're 5 1/2 months in, so it's not like I know everything lol), but the highest number she's had in the morning for a good 2 months has been 105. Sometimes it's in the 80's (anything under 80 is considered a low for her) and that just scares me.

What numbers do you like to see that time of day?

2. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Personally...I'm thrilled with an 80 in the morning as long as I'm comfortable with how the night time bgs are going.:D Of course, we are over 6 years in. In the first year it would have freaked me out.
    80 is a normal reading for a non-diabetic person. Our endo isn't concerned about lows until they are under 60...not that we don't get a snack when she's 80 because typically she's too active to stay there for long.

3. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I am happy with anything between 85 and 130. My son's normal range is 80 - 180 right now. I have no rhyme or reason for my happy numbers but, it is what it is:rolleyes:

4. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

We like between 90 and 130, but we're never really there. Usually, it's closer to 160 or so. Still tweaking everything to get her in a better range.

5. Deal

Deal Approved members

I like all my children to wake up around the same number, so 70-80 works for me. As long as we are not seeing any lows at all, having a fasting bg reading the same as a non-diabetic doesn't concern me. Once hormones kick in or he needs some late night carbs with insulin thereby making numbers harder to manage/predict I can see aiming a little higher to reduce the chances of lows.

6. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

When we were first starting out, I remember one of the CDEs telling me that if he woke up lower than 100, to look at his night numbers to be sure he wasn't dipping too low overnight. So, I'm always happy to see something hovering around 100...and I do check overnight if I see a couple of mornings below 90. So, I'd say between 90 and 140 makes me feel good in the AM.

7. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I"m happy if Hana is between 80-120. This a.m. she was 111 but it took a lot of work to get her there after a pizza nightmare last night. I had to correct several times throughout then night - so I was surprised to see the 111.
    I don't like when she wakes up high. It messes with the next day and I get aggrevated with myself for not being more aggressive or sleeping through a check.

8. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

I am the happiest between 80-140. Although we have seen as low as 30 and as high as HI. Yesterday was 41 today was 115.

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

i like 100-140 on school days. weekend or school breaks i am fine with numbers down to 70.

10. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

I"m fine with 80-130...We changed his levimir a bit because he was waking up low 70's....not happy with that...but like today he went to bed 120 and woke up 76....he was very active last night with 3 hours of laser tag and fun with the boys(soccer party)...but he had his night snack as always and I know that kept him from dropping any more..Now I am changing breakfast ratios..He has had too many 70's pre-lunch at home and school and this is with snack mid morning.. not happy with that at all! I prefer him closer to 150 at lunch, especially at school.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm happiest with 70-110 but good with anything under 140 and okay with anything under 160.

12. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Probably 75-120. Most days we're pretty close to that because I correct if needed around 5am before I leave for work. Full time use of the CGM makes this easier still. Now, we couldn't consistently hit a target like that at almost any other time of the day but I'm just glad to be able to start the day on a good note.:cwds:

13. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We haven't had anything below a 100 in the 5 months since dx. Most mornings Olivia is between 110-140. Anything above 150 the endo says is a good indicator the lantus needs to be bumped up.

14. mistyz

mistyz Approved members

I like him to be 100-140 when he wakes up. But I'm also pretty new to this and I would be really nervous sending him to school below 100...especially since he has waited to go to the nurse before and not told anyone he felt low...including blurry vision. :( So I tend to want to send him off to school a little higher.

15. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

I like her to between 70-100, but then she wears a CGM which allows us to hopefully catch lows before they occur.

16. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i'm happy when Ashleigh's around 100-130 in the morning.

17. Adrienne

My Livie is actually Olivia and was diagnosed at almost the exact same time as your Olivia (mine was 8/9/11) and is also 8 years old.

18. Adrienne

Thanks for all your replies. It still amazes me how different each diabetic is and how a low number for Livie may be a fine number for another child. This is just all so tricky!

19. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I appreciate those 80-120 mornings.

20. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

It depends on what number I'm going to bed at.... I don't go to bed under 120 because I tend to drop/ don't have a cgm so 80 would be a sign that my basals are too high.... 100-120 would make me happy, 90-100 I would think I had dropped a bit too much at night 70-80 and I'm changing basals and checking that night:cwds:

I've had tons of trouble with over night bgs for months, their always to high or to low=((( so right now I'm smiling at anything under 150=D