- advertisement -

What motivates you to Fundraise?

Discussion in 'Fundraising Activities' started by Ellen, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

At what point after diagnosis or your child's diagnosis, did you decide it was time to start to fundraise for cure research dollars, or for a diabetes camp or other diabetes related need? What do you do in particular to raise awareness of the need for a cure for diabetes or the need to end discrimination for persons with diabetes? Perhaps what you do can influence and encourage others on this board who do not know how to start but want to do something to make a difference. Let's start a discussion.

2. cmconsultant

cmconsultant Approved members

Our 12 yr. old son was diagnosed almost 3 months ago. Caleb is 1 of 7 Type 1 diabetics at his middle school (788 students), so the average at his school is pretty high compared to the national. I knew right away that I wouldn't be able to "sit back," as that is not my personality. Being a scrapbook enthusiast and ever-the-hard-working-mom-who-never-stops, I thought I would put together a fundraiser for JDRF in the form of a "crop" for scrapbook enthusiasts.

I approached local businesses, explained what I was doing, and asked if they would like to partner. The response has been awesome! I have donated gift certificates for goods and services, as well as a local restaurant (Chick-fil-A) that is coming with lunch and donating the proceeds to JDRF. It's working out fabulously - diabetes touches most people's lives at some point, and they are usually very willing to get involved because of that.

We have a registration fee of $10 which will cover facility rental (if needed), purchasing drinks to sell, etc., and all of the balance goes directly to JDRF. Registrants will bring a minimum of $50 donations that they have raised to the event...this way, the fundraising is up to the participants and not YOU! You can apply this principle to many types of events, not just scrapbooking.

I am awaiting the response of our school's administrator re: whether I can rent (or maybe use for free!) the school cafeteria for the actual crop. The school's faculty and administration is affected every single day by diabetes...they are very supportive! If you don't know how to approach someone, I can give you some tips (just IM or email me).

Wish us luck on this one ... and, visit our site: http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=301036&ck=

If you're in Metro Atlanta, be sure to join us. Even if you're not a scrapbooker, you can always come to help us, as we need volunteers. We are expecting 100 participants!

3. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Tina, WOW! What a wonderful, creative, and fresh idea. Kudos to you. Please let us know how it turns out. I'm telling people about this!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Pump accessories for stuffed animals

Hi,
    Our daughter was diagnosed in June 05 at 4yrs and 1 month. She started pumping today:) We plan on walking with a group of friends this fall. Watching how gracefully my daughter handles her diabetes is what motivates us to find a cure. I'm encouraging Build A Bear Workshop to start carrying pump supplies to outfit Rufus or a stuffie, and I suggested that all or a portion of profits go to diabetes research. I explained that many children become very attached to a stuffed animal during this time, and that they want the animal to be just like them. Please visit their website, and drop a note to there customer service dept. encouraging them to start carrying these products.

5. delvec

delvec Approved members

I made up my mind the second our CDE came in the hospital room with the bag of hope and Rufus. She then said it was from the JDRF and they had a walk blah blah and thats all I needed to hear. Sort of-

I had actually forgot about the walk and a former co worker was now working for a company that was a huge supporter of the JDRF and he sent me the invite to join his team and I went ....OOOPS! I gotta do this on my own so I went and joined.

Nowadays aside from walking - I opened a webpage/t shirt shop that sells various Diabetes TShirts and other products. My sons site is www.chrisosaurusrex.com and the store is www.diabetesshirts.com

Anyway wendy, you may wanna try Fifty50. The sell Pumpernickel, the pumping monkey- you can see him here.

6. cmconsultant

cmconsultant Approved members

Thanks for the encouragement, Ellen - I will be sure to check back afterward to let everyone know how it went. Since my post, we have acquired 2 additional businesses as partners, and our local hospital has agreed to send one of its diabetes educators to do a presentation during lunch and to provide educational materials for participants' goodie bags. We're off & running! Together, we can ALL make a difference.