- advertisement -

What labs should I request?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by rare, Apr 5, 2010.

1. rare

rare Approved members

I'm going to get labs done on my non-D child later this month just to make sure everything is normal. I want to make sure I request everything so I'm not sure what to ask his pediatrician for beyond the a1c or what other tests are called.

I checked him last week and saw a couple questionable numbers along with perfectly normal ones. I asked the CDE if it was normal (expecting her to say yes). She said no and to get labs done to make sure he's not in the early stages. I had no reason to suspect anything was amiss when I tested him. It's just something I do once or twice a year.

I saw a 171 at midnight which came down to 117 before breakfast the next morning. Checked again Friday night. We ordered pizza late so he didn't eat it until 11:00. He was 95 an hour after and it crept up to 152 by 5am, which seems logical for overnight pizza digestion.

Saturday afternoon I let him indulge in candy, chips, and sugary drinks because I wanted to see how his bg responded. I checked him an hour later and it was a perfect 100. I haven't tested again since. Everything seems okay even if I did see a couple numbers exceed 140. Labs should confirm this.

2. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Personally, I'd call the CDE and see what labs they recommend.

Hopefully all come back in normal range!

3. rare

rare Approved members

She's supposed to mail me a slip. I just wanted to make sure she doesn't forget to check anything off or overlook anything. :D This is all new to me.