- advertisement -

What is your typical gym class preparation?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Turtle1605, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I'm fairly new and trying to figure out the past plan in dealing with my five-year-old's gym class routine. I'm having his school test just before gym and just after.

What levels do you typically prefer beforehand? If it is below that level, what do you feed your child to bring it up a bit? If it is high, what do you do?

Thank you!

2. valerie-k

valerie-k Approved members

that all depends on the child, what is happening in gym ect. Matt is a very active boy, and in elementary, we would have him drink a 15 carb juice box before gym. Also it would depend on when gym was, in the morning, afternoon, when is recess and when is lunch.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Our son has P.E. every day, so we have a separate basal pattern for school. I don't know what the heck they do to him in P.E., but it TANKS his blood sugars.

At this point, I'm not even sure what the nurse does (it appears to be working), but off the top of my head, I'd probably want him above 150 before P.E.

It's tricky for us, because I think every year he's had P.E. it has been in the 8:30-9:00 a.m. time frame. His breakfast insulin is working pretty hard then, so I think that is part of what tanks him too.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I prefer her to be in the 150 range. I've noticed she drops at least 30-40 points in 40 minutes of class. Luckily she heads right to lunch after. If she us below 150 the nurse has her take about 2 rolls of smarties.
    We check bg prior and after.

5. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We're on a pump so we just turn down his basal 2 hours before, but if we were still MDI, he would have a small (10g carbs) juice box before gym class, or some other fast acting carbs in about the same amount (half a pack of fruit snacks, etc).

6. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

W drops fast during gym, we aim to have him at 180 whine has the corresponding amount of fast acting carbs before gym (graham crackers have been working better than juice for us, it seems to hold him longer). He also needs much less (usually half his regular does) insulin for snack time, which is after gym and before lunch.

7. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

My son has snack right before PE this year (yay!) 15 carbs of snack go uncovered on PE days. I'm loving his schedule this year.

1030am- snack
    1045am- PE
    1215pm- lunch

8. Kelly.Marie

Kelly.Marie Approved members

Jack's PE is right when he gets to school at 8:30a so for breakfast on those days I have found a breakfast with protein and fat (eggs/sausage/whole grain toast/milk) and lowering his basal 6am-9am has made a great difference.

9. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Thanks for the help...

In my initial question...I forgot to tell you that he eats breakfast at 7:00-7:30 (no insulin). Has gym from 9:00 to 9:45 a.m. immediately followed by a 10-15 carb morning snack (no insulin). He seems to go low (68 or so) by his before lunch check so I think I may give him some more carbs for his morning snack, too.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we don't have a specific plan. She has gym right before snack, and right after breakfast (if she eats breakfast).. she wears a sensor, so depending on what the sensor says they may have her eat something, drink a juice box, have water, or do nothing. I like her to be at 150ish going into gym with no arrows.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

So he's had no insulin since basal the night before and he's going a bit low at noon the next day?

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Same with us. My younger son has gym first class after breakfast and before snack. We really haven't had to change anything with him because of that time period. He also wears the MM sensor.