- advertisement -

What is your nighttime BG range goals? And how many lows do you treat on avg. per week?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Nov 30, 2012.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

What is your goal nighttime range at night? How many times on avg. do you treat nighttime lows per week?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Goal is 100-150ish. Night time lows only or general?? Average of one nighttime low a week, but right now fighting morning highs, which though less scary are more irritating.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We have the target number in the pump set to 110. The CGM range is 80-160, so we either dose or feed if it alarms. Not sure how many times per night we do either. For a bit, the juice boxes were accumulating quickly but in not the last couple of weeks. It all depends. Girls are different, too, in that their insulin needs vary depending on which hormones are surging.

4. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

Our nighttime goal is anywhere between 120-150. On average per week, we might see one low around 80 that we treat with one or two peanut butter crackers which usually does the trick.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Nighttime CGM alarms are at 80-140. My ideal nighttime BG is probably 100 or so. We mostly avoid nighttime lows because of the predictive alarms, but we treat as a result of those probably 3 times a week, on average.

6. Jenneve93

Jenneve93 Approved members

The target number on the pump is set at 110. We've always aimed for over 100/under 150 at night. Generally we may only have 1 or 2 nighttime lows per week, but lately we've been having a hard time with it due to PE on Fridays. We're working on it.

7. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Pump sets bedtime target as 120, meaning that is what we correct downwards too before dinner (which is just a couple hours before bedtime and overnight). However, we don't treat at night unless BG is 90 or below (absent something unusual).

We treat a lot of lows each week, but comparatively few at nighttime....probably fewer than one per week.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Okay I wanted to say the reason I asked is that our new endo said that we had too many lows I treat at night. A few a week. Some weeks none at all and I needed to change basals to not have any lows. He was saying I would not be there for college and he doesn't want any seizures . But, we have over two more years before college. Not sure what I think.

9. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I am more careful with nighttime corrections, and my range overnight in general. I do not like waking from night lows at all. I honestly just shoot for something under 150, and like to see a steady number all night. I very rarely go low at night, but I do think it is because I am conservative. I can see where your Endo might be coming from knowing he is leaving for College soon. The reality of it is he might end up doing things in general that could effect his sensitivity even more, and he might not be on top of it as much as you are.

10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I like Ashleigh to be between 100-140. The last time we had an actual low (below 70) at night was Oct 28th (went back and looked at her records). But i'll treat before we get low also. If she tests and is in the 90s. I'll usually re-test an hour later. If she stays the same or goes up i'll recheck again 2-3 hours later. But if she goes down I'll give her a treatment. BS in the 80s or below i always give some sort of treatment for.

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I understand the endo's concern and wouldn't necessarily expect my daughter to feel comfortable at the same level on her own. But, I'm hoping there's a lot more stability in her levels by then. (And also that she wakes to the CGM before then!) Why would you change things up NOW for college that's two years away? When do the blood sugars stabilize for boys? I know our pump rep told me he can set a basal and not adjust it for 6 months. I can't even fathom that at this point!

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I totally agree with everything you said.

13. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Carol, our nighttime is 150. Day time is 100. We use increased basal around 4AM to bring her to daytime target prior to wakeup. When we start the day around 100, things are better.

Lows - I'm at the point I would LOVE to see some. I explained our "Forgotten Bolus" issues to you in a PM yesterday.

To other posters - the prepare for college - theory comes from our CWD needing to establish their own routine BEFORE they are gone from our management. A teenager takes quite a while to develop and master a new routine.

14. selketine

selketine Approved members

Ah - whole other issue - college. William is still 10 (almost 11) and he doesn't wake up to his cgms beeping. He just isn't there yet in terms of taking care of himself at night for me to consider how I'd handle that as he gets more independent. :cwds:

15. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Excellent advice.

16. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

My daughter is a lot younger but we prefer her to be over 90-120 when she wakes up. That means when I check her around 11 or midnight I want her to be closer to 120-130 at least, up to about 140 I won't treat. She is in a little bit of a honeymoon and she usually comes down a little overnight all on her own.

Depending on what happened that night, what she ate etc. I will sometimes correct the 140, other times not.

We don't usually get lows overnight, not true lows anyway. If she is 85 or 90 at midnight I will run a temp basal, -20% for an hour or two. Usually she wakes up around 110-120, sometimes, whoops, she'll wake up at 150-160.

I would say we have a true low overnight less than once a week. Her endo prefers us to keep tight control during the day, and let her run a touch higher overnight to be safe. Not like 200+, but he is happy even with her waking up at 160-180. I don't like her to be that high, but I'm good with 130.

17. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Just chiming in about college. I am a sophomore in college so in year 2 of doing this on my own and my target in my pump is set at 120 for after 10 PM (100 during the day). I usually try to make sure I am around 140 when I go to sleep since I drift down a bit. I have a yogurt if I am around 100-120 which works well.

At home I do keep my target at 100 at night but only because my parents still insist on doing night checks and at school I check at midnight and 6 AM but I go a total of 6 hours without testing.

Also just to reassure you I never woke up to CGM alarms at home but at school when I have to I do. I used to stick the extra Guardian receiver by my head to wake up but currently my boyfriend hears the pump alarms and wakes me up. I have never missed an alarm at school.

In terms of lows I treat probably 1 severe low at night a month (defining below 60 or with symptoms as severe). I treat a minor low (below 100 or no symptoms) about 2-3 times a week. My endo and CDE find this reasonable.