- advertisement -

What is your method???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LucyAmber, Mar 13, 2013.

1. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

So I would like to do a quick survey. I see a lot of people on here doing MDI or pumping.

But I am curious to how many are doing... umm, I am not sure what my method is called :confused:

I use Novolog & Novolin NPH 2 times a day (morning & evening) with a Lantus pen injection before bed.

Would that me a form of MDI?

Anyone do something similar?? :cwds:

2. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

MDI is multiple daily injections, so yes you are on MDI

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I disagree, to me MDI is MULTIPLE injections, meaning many times per day~with each meal, not at set times per day. This is more of a sliding scale type system, sorta.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

"un-tethered" pumping

Llantus as basal given at night and hook up to the pump for bolusing, at least 5-6 times a day.

5. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We did more or less the same things as you for a while. I never knew what to call it, because while it really is multiple daily injections, it is not what other people think of when they read/hear MDI. I usually just said we were "using NPH."

6. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

To me, MDI has always meant a basal/bolus regime ie Lantus/Levemir and fast acting with meals.

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

This is what MDI means to me as well. You have one or two injections of a basal insulin and then a fastacting when you eat that matches the number of carbs eaten. NPH requires a set amount of food.

If you are trying to describe what insulins you are on I would say you are on three types: fast, intermediate and long acting.

Most have dropped NPH as it is not consistent when it kicks in and you have to be sure to eat before that peak.

8. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I consider it MDI, regardless of the insulins at use. For me, if you are doing shots, it's MDI. If you are using a pump, it's pumping. Multiple injections per day = MDI. Interesting to see that there are different definitions - I've never even given it a thought or realized it would mean different things to different people.

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

The name isn't really what defines a routine for me, it's how you eat/bolus. To me if someone has 2 set shots per day then they are likely on a sliding scale, which is a completely different routine than eating and bolusing for food eaten.

When I think of MDI I think of eating whenever, however, whatever you want and bolusing for it. When I think of sliding scale I think of a definined # of shots before or at meals with fairly set carb counts at meals. No corrections in between, no shots with snacks, etc.

To me they are different, but I suppose it's still technically MDI.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

But there are plenty of those that consider themselves on MDI using only fast acting as a bolus insulin and Lantus or Levimir for basal, that do not correct inbetween meals and eat on an eating plan that has set carbs and a correcting scale.

To me MDI is more than 1 poke of an insulin needle.

this might make an interesting poll of MDI'ers

11. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We started with Levemir/NPH/Novolog. We were originally on a fixed carbs per meal plan, but started adjusting meals a couple of months in. Both endos referred to it as "MDI with NPH", so we did as well.

12. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

-
    It is the name that is confusing. rather than MDI, some use the term basal/ bolus regimen, some clinics call it flexible insulin therapy a.k.a. FIT and some call it intensive insulin therapy (as in a meal bolus based on carbs with each meal and lantus, or levimir as basal or ultralente in the past) That is what MDI is intended to describe if you do not get a meal bolus at lunch bc of the NPH peak it does not count as MDI.

Before lantus, MDI meant you were on humalog and ultralente, and if you were on NPH and humalog or lente and humalog this was called traditional insulin therapy. With lente or NPH as basal, you did not get an injection at lunch

MDI vs. Traditional insulin therapy was a big component of the DCCT. The experimental group were on intensive insulin therapy - either the pump with regular or MDI with ultralente and regular

arguably, the more important characteristic of the experimental group in the DCCT was maintaining and A1C of less that 7, but even if your A1C was 6.9 and you were on NPH and regular consisting of 3 shots a day you could not be in the experimental group for the DCCT

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

the term of MDI reminds me of the terms of
    contempory
    modern
    and antique

While we keep using the "terms", but people's ideas about what they mean change.

14. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

All very interesting points made.
    I think I am going to ask my endo what they refer to it as at my next appointment.

15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Maybe you should ask the doctor what she views as the advantages of your current insulin routine. It would be interesting to hear what she says.

It is probably different in the US, but in Canada some doctors think a lot about the cost and the fact that NPH is much cheaper weighs heavily on their decision.
    For example, my endo is apposed to unteathered because she think that a. Lantus is expensive and b. The pump and pump supplies are expensive, therefore, it is somehow not okay for me to do unteatherd.

I don't think cost should be a motivating factor in your case, I think your quality of life should be the 1st consideration.