- advertisement -

What is your IOB duation setting? Is mine too short?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by GinaB, Jun 30, 2010.

1. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

I finally started reading Pumping Insulin and it says the IOB time should be at least 4 hours. I'm only using 2.5. What is your settig? Any insight from experienced pumpers would be greatly appreciated.

2. onthego

onthego Approved members

I believe it makes a difference which insulin you're pumping with. We use a duration setting of 4 hrs. with Novolog. I think Humalog would be a little less.

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Every time I seem to think it needs to be shorter, we try and end up back at around 4. I think we're at 3.5 right now. the majority of people with Novolog / Humalog have a 4 hour effectiveness. The tail is pretty small at the end so it might be hard to recognize the "Creeping down" but we've watched on the CGMS and the first two hours, its a big effect but we do see the creeping down for the next two as it finishes up

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We have it set at 3 hours (Novalog), and it's about perfect.

5. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

we do 3 or 3.5...i change it to 3 cde changes it to 3.5 ;)

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Our CDE told us they set Novolog for 4 hours for children and 3 hours for teens - adults.

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

It was 3 on cozmo. I set it to 4 on MM and then once we got the CGMS it was pretty clear it was really only 3. I could see the bg doing nothing after 3 hours.

I think it more depends on how large of a bolus you get - I'd love to be able to have a 4 or 5 hour IOB setting for a really big bolus (over 5u) and leave it at 3 hours for normal boluses.

8. Denise

Denise Approved members

we have ours set at 3

9. chammond

chammond Approved members

We just changed Logan's from 4 down to 3 last week. It does seem to be helping for now.

ETA: We use humalog!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  10. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Mine is set to three hours with Novolog. I try to pre-bolus as much as possible, so I think this also contributes to having a shorter IOB duration setting.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

2 hrs and it's novalog

12. kajumom

kajumom Approved members

We also have 3 hours on ping with novolog

13. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

2.5 hrs with Novorapid :cwds:

14. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

We were at 4 hours until we shortly after we started Dexting, we found no activity past the 3 hour mark.

15. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

3 hours for PIng

16. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

3 hours works for us, I agree that two hours is too short. Sometimes the Apidra is done in two. But I would still go with 3.

17. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

That would be cool to be able to adjust the DIA depending on the bolus size!

Ours is set for 4hrs. I think it's probably not right.:rolleyes:

18. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

3.5 with Humalog and the Ping for our DD. It's works very well for us.

19. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

I feel bad that I don't know what Jordan's is. I guess I will be looking at Jordan's tonight when I get home.

This was obviously something that was set up at pump start, and I didn't realize that it should be adjusted. His CDE has never asked us this information either to my knowledge. What is the benefit of adjusting it?

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

4 hours with Novalog and she is 12. We were three hours for 2 1/2 years and I loved it, I thought it was awesome, I had things figured out, etc, etc, etc...our CDE told us to try 4 hours about 9 months ago. Can I just say, I hate it! It is like having to completely relearn how IOB works! Changing it truly 100% messed me up! For the first three months, I almost changed it back about every other day! But then, we got her next A1C and it dropped .5 points AND she had less low blood sugars! So, I decided to keep trying to wrap my brain around it!

For me, the hard part of upping the duration is deciding to treat a not truly low blood sugar based on IOB when there was a correction. I really have to give it a thought to the time of the correction and I have finally (it only took 9 months!) made a hard and fast rule to not treat for IOB after a correction if
    blood sugar is in the low end of her range after 3 hours - to wait it out and see what it does!