- advertisement -

What is your child's target range?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Shopgirl2091, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

Here Bernstein discusses how a large dose greatly extends the action time. A non-diabetic volunteer received 70 units of regular insulin in one site and had to receive IV glucose for an entire week to avoid hypoglycemia.

http://www.diabetes-book.com/laws-small-numbers/

The effusion rate law suggests that effusion of a subcutaneous injection will be absorbed on a percentage basis in proportion to the inverse square or cube of the injection amount (depending on whether it is 2d or 3d effusion).

that would mean that if a 10 unit injection effuses over 6 hours a 1 unit injection would effuse in 30-45% of the time (less than 2 to 3 hours) as a 10 unit dose, although some of the lag time is in reaching and becoming active in the liver.

Whatever the case may be, I believe that the entire action curve for a small dose is dilated compared to a standard dose. You guys have access to dexcom to verify that your kids aren't going low though, and that is what I need.

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

+1 on this. Every time I do the two blood drop calibration, my faith in meter accuracy is put to the test. Same drop of blood - sometimes they are within 5 points, sometimes they are 20+ points apart. I think that's what tipped the scales towards my daughter just dosing off the dexcom most of the time. Generally it's within the same ballpark, and honestly, who knows which is right? I don't love it, but if I were the one with the little scars on my fingertips, I'd likely feel the same way.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We target to 123, no range here either for either of my girls 10.5 a just turned 7.

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Forgive me if I sound flippant, but I couldn't help but smile as I read this. Probably the most common comment heard in this house is "I wish my diabetes would read those books Mom."

When you've been at this a while, you'll find that D makes its own rules.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

mertdawg, I am curious about something. In many of your posts you reference studies that involve people (usually adults) that do not have Type 1 diabetes. I am just wondering why you do that?

Thank you.

6. Theo's dad Joe

So that people don't assume that they would apply to their kids, but still might be able to consider the possibility that it could be a useful tool. People with T1D are still humans and some of the rules of human physiology just might apply to them.

7. Christopher

I see what you are saying but I still don't find any of it useful. But if others do then that is great.

8. Theo's dad Joe

So you just start with a blank slate? Maybe someone had their kid eat pasta and found a late spike and didn't know why a low GI starch would cause a spike, until they see that it is known to dump glucose several hours down the line. Maybe someone went low thinking that some fiber could even be physiologically turned into carbs (which there is not even an enzyme capable of doing so in the human body). The clinicians told me to count the first 5 grams of fiber and half the rest, but there is no physiological way to turn fiber into glucose. So if a kid eats a bowl of blueberries and you count the fiber you may dose for the carbs you can go low. Can you tell me how many carbs you would count for a cup of blackberries http://www.caloriecount.com/calories-blackberries-i9042

If you can't apply anything that I posted then don't. Just treat it as an art form, and go with your intuition.

9. Theo's dad Joe

So if whole milk slows down the rate that glucose enters the bloodstream by a mechanism not related to beta cells function, that is useless to you?

10. njswede

njswede Approved members

I think it's pretty much common knowledge that fat slows down carb uptake. However, but experimenting with meals and following the BG curve on the Dexcom, I've found that for a reasonable amount of fat, it doesn't make much of a difference. Both plain pancakes and pancakes with a big lump of butter and a big serving of bacon results in a considerable spike. Maybe it would make a bigger difference if I piled on even more fat, but I'm not comfortable doing that.

11. njswede

njswede Approved members

Double post. Sorry!

12. Christopher

As someone already mentioned, that is basically common knowledge here.

I think maybe I need to remind myself that we are all at different stages in this journey and that sometimes, in the begining, some people tend to WAY over-think things.

13. Theo's dad Joe

Dairy has been found to slow gastric emptying independent of the butterfat content. Also vinegar on a salad before eating slows gastric emptying. Also wanted to point out that 2 similar GI and carb load foods can work differently, pasta versus orange juice for example because GI is an average but doesn't recognize that foods have complex GIs.

It sounds like your breakfast is pretty much in the zone diet range anyway, and if nothing else you are getting more calories in without having to INCREASE the carbs to do so.

14. Theo's dad Joe

The FDA implies that we should be downing 330-440 grams of carbs a day. I asked my doctor what she thought about a balanced (40% carb) diet and she told me that they only recommended the FDA guidelines because it was "healthy" and fats caused heart disease which is a diabetic complication.

My wife is a cardiologist. She can't tell people to eat more fat or she'd lose her license, but she can tell them to eat less sugar, and it always lowers their triglycerides. Blood Triglycerides are made when sugar is high not dietary fat. And you get foods claiming they reduce cholesterol because they are high in omega-6s. Omega-6s are the primarly fat that arry oxidative damage to blood vessels, but heck they lower cholesterol.

I am not here to tell people how to eat. You are either capable of using and applying data, or your not.

15. Christopher

Good! Because I would not base my child's diet on what you recommend. Additionally, I do not base it on what the FDA recommends. I believe that most people on this site are intelligent, free-thinkers and are not sheeple who follow lock-step what the government tells them to do. They do their research, apply common sense and try and give their children a relatively healthy, balanced diet, while still having fun and taking into account the importance of a child's social and mental health, as well as their physiological health.

Oh, and I don't mean to embarass you but it is "or you're not".

16. Theo's dad Joe

Christopher, I have to put you on ignore. It is a discussion board and you don't seem to like people discussing anything that might make them question their total awesomeness. Here's a butt slap! You couldn't do any better or learn any more then just free thinking in a corner will get you.

17. Christopher

Not really sure what point you are making? You said I don't like people discussing things "that might make them question their total awesomeness"???? That doesn't even make sense.

Anyway, I am fine with you putting me on ignore, that is your choice (however, leave my butt alone). :glee: I thought we WERE having a discussion, but whatever.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  18. Theo's dad Joe

I am going to pretty much stick to posts about how to deal with practical issues like days at the beach, flying, CGM and pumping etc. These are the things that I think I can get from this site.

19. Christopher

Hey, that is great. If that is working for you and your son, more power to you. Personally, I think it is a little unusual to be measuring calories and fat% in a young child, but again, if this makes sense to you, then that is fantastic.

20. Theo's dad Joe

No hard feelings Christopher, it is not productive or valuable for me to post anything about nutrition on this site though. It certainly isn't doing me any good, and doesn't look like people come here to discuss these things.