- advertisement -

What is vet tape for the pod???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2cjh, Aug 2, 2011.

1. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

I have seen a couple posts mentioning vet tape to put around the pod. I believe you get it at an animal store???? We currently use Tegaderm HP underneath but is this something you can wrap around while swimming? I would assume it could be used if on his arm but can it also be used if the pod is on his butt? Currently I use smaller pieces of Tegaderm on top of the pod adhesive if on his butt and he uses an armband if on his arm...but that gets wet through...so it can still peel up in areas at times. Thanks for any info.:)

2. Traci

Traci Approved members

We use vet wrap to cover ds's pods on his arms and legs if he is swimming. I buy it at Petco or Petsmart, and it comes in a variety of colors and at least two different widths. It sticks to itself (not skin) and stays on in water. Matter of fact, for us, it stays on for the entire three days even if ds swims in it every single day. There is a similar product that can be found at walmart or pharmacies and is flesh colored. It has been my experience that the "human" wrap is more expensive for less product. Vet wrap is typically found in the animal wound care section...at least in the pet stores in my area. We don't use it on sites other than arms/legs because it would take too much of it to wrap all around him.

3. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Great...I am going to try it on his arms. Thanks for the reply...I figured it had to be wrapped around....just wouldn't stick to the skin...so it wouldn't work on his butt...unless I wanted to make him a mummy:p Thanks again.
    I will be head to Petco tonight.

4. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

You know, we tried the vet wrap, and my son hated it. His arm felt "stiff" and he felt like it made him "stand out" and look strange.

After that, we tried the bands4life and he loves them. They are very thin and totally cool looking.

So if you try the vet wrap and it doesn't work, maybe that gives you another alternative. : )

5. sooz

sooz Approved members

We just cut the cuff off of cute socks for her arm..works great!:D

6. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Thanks for the ideas. We currently use sports wristbands up around the pod on his arm which he likes b/c they are Nike, Adidas, etc. But....when swimming they are soaking wet so I am wondering if it is causing more problems with the pods peeling off. Are the bands4life more waterproof?

7. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

We bought this very thin rolled foam that is available at Sports Authority or a sporting goods store. We used to use arm bands and he didn't like how tight they were and how much pressure they put on the arm SO...

we bought Vet wrap and planned to use that but I was pretty sure that it would make his arm stiff and he wouldn't like that.

We were at Sports Authority and I saw this rolled very fine foam 'tape' it is probably 2.5 inches in height. It is rolled just like rolled gauze but I just love it. It wraps around the arm, conceals the sensor (or pod) and hangs on to itself very well! It is not stiff at all and it doesn't absorb the water so that is good for the sensor life.

I really like this stuff. Plus, it helps my son to know that athletes wear this stuff so, having it on on his upper arm is not something that draws so much attention.

I would highly recommend it! The only reason I am calling it tape is because it is rolled but it has no adhesive whatsoever, it adheres to itself and then you can tie it to itself at the end.

8. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

The bands4life are swimsuit material....what is that? Spandex? I'm still waking up. It's a little stretchy...definitely waterproof.