- advertisement -

What is the thing you put around the Pod?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Darryl, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Does anyone know about the ace-bandage type "sleeve" that you can slide over the pod to protect it during sports, etc? Or have a web link where they can be purchased from?

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

I dont know what you are talking about, but what we did was cut the cuff off some cute socks and use that as a type of sling for when Hailey wears it on her arm. It is cute and it helps hold it up and protect it. The possiblilities of decorating it are endless too. The week after we started doing it, Family Fun magazine showed a cut off sock cuff decorated with buttons worn as a bracelet!! I guess a boy could cut the cuff off sport socks..:)

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

4. Sherry Wendi's Mom

Sherry Wendi's Mom Approved members

Wendi has just been using a regular ace bandage during Tae Kwan Do. It's been holding up well.

5. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Chris just uses a sweat band - like you might wear around the wrist during tennis. I think some people have used pic-line covers which can be ordered from a medical supply company.

Chuck

6. alismom

alismom Approved members

We have used a sweat band in the past or pre-wrap depending on the season.

7. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

Darryl I recently remember someone posting about this. They bought the stretchable covered banadages from the pet store because they are cheaper and are available in colors. They sell them at the drug store in the normal tan colors. I am not sure of the name but they are like an ace bandage that you wrap around and the bandage sticks to itself. I hope this helps. I can look later today and try to find the original post.

8. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

You're talking about "Coban".

9. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

The "shooter sleeves" worn by basketball players might work, too.

Chuck

10. seeingspots

seeingspots Approved members

It's called "Vetrap" and made by 3M just like the human stuff... just a lot cheaper from a feed/livestock store. Here's a link: http://www.horse.com/3M-4-Vetrap-Bandage-Tape-BHV50.html, there's a cheaper brand at the bottom of this same page, but I've only ever used the namebrand on our horses, dogs and kids! ;)

Editted to add: We've used all the colors (kids riding our horses in shows liked to coordinated their clothes w/ the colored leg wraps), and for some reason, we've found that the black is a little more stiff, doesn't pull off the roll as easily. Maybe it was just a bad batch?, but we stayed away from buying black again. Vetrap is great in that you can adjust it for as tight/loose as desired (so as not to cut-off circulation), it's designed for motion (a barrel racing horse moves pretty fast!), is sweat-proof, and easily removable/reusable.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  11. brima

brima Approved members

I think you are talking about the Tubular Stretch Bandage. Curad makes them. We have found them at CVS (their brand) cheaper.

12. Traci

Traci Approved members

We use the veterap from petco or petsmart. It is cheaper than the human stuff and comes in a variety of colors--which is, as any parent knows, the most important thing! ;-). We did not like the white mesh stuff because it just always looks dirty.

The only time we have to use anything is for swimming, but the veterap works perfect for us!

13. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Thanks everyone! I was looking for something tubular like this, instead of tape... but this one looks transparent and she wants something that would look more like an ace bandage. The shooter sleeves look like a little too much to cover up just a pod.

The wristband sounds like a good idea. Do they make them wide enough to cover a pod?

14. dianas

dianas Approved members

You might be interested in a pump band from pumpwear.inc. They have a smaller one to cover sensors and pods. I've never tried them but they look interesting. I was thinking about making one for myself. (I'm a long time lurker to various diabetes boards. No kids with diabetes just myself I'm on a pump.)

http://www.pumpwearinc.com/pumpshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1185

Diana

15. Traci

Traci Approved members

Just an fyi, the vetwrap does not stick to skin like tape, it just sticks to itself.

16. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

you can also buy some colored leotards and cut them, that way she has a variety of sizes(legs arms)

17. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

These look custom made for the pod so we'll order one and give it a try.
    Also like the leotard idea, will run that by dd! She likes the colors of the Qsport foamwrap. I gues we'll be trying a few different ones...

18. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

19. TRICIA4

TRICIA4 Approved members

Darryl,
    Did you try the other suggestions as well? What did you try, and what worked best?

20. buggle

buggle Approved members

Is anyone worried about their kid developing a latex allergy from the vetrap? There's a non-latex coban option...