- advertisement -

What is the strongest adhesive??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by roo'smom, Jul 2, 2014.

1. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

I am beyond frustrated with OP, but dd wants to continue with it, at least for the summer, so here I am…
    What is the strongest medical adhesive that you know of?? We have tried Skin Tac, Mastisol, Hollister, and Uro-Bond. We also wrap with vet wrap when able (arm), and the stinking pods still fall off. Any suggestions?

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I know a mom here in town that used kinesiology tape like this over the pods on her little one. I have never used it.

3. dshull

dshull Approved members

I just want to chime in that we, too, have had so many adhesive issues I am ready to run it over with my car. Last week we had three pods which detached from the adhesive, while the adhesive stayed stuck tight to his skin. So I have this pod hanging by a thread of adhesive. Did you have this problem or would the entire pod and the adhesive fall off?

My son likes it but his avg BG went up 15 points in the one month he was using Omnipod. I convinced him to wear the Ping to overnight camp this week so he won't have to deal with these issues and I am wondering what he will want to do when he gets home.

4. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Wow. I just wrote on another thread that we've almost never had this issue with the Omnipod. I wonder if our super-dry climate helps with that, but I don't really know.

Do you use any medical tape over the pod in addition to the brush-on adhesive, or just the vet wrap? Vet wrap hasn't worked well for us, because DD insists on a very loose wrap that doesn't accomplish much. For swim days, we use Skin Tac as a brush on and then we tape over the top with Hypafix medical tape. That combo has served us well.

Fwiw, I've recently read many other CWD posters extol the virtues of Opsite Flexfix. We have some Flexfix on order, and we plan to try it as an alternative to Hypafix tape, which isn't lasting long enough over DD's Dexcom.

5. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

We also never had the problem with pod not staying on (even with swimming). In fact, we sort of have the opposite problem where it is kind of a pain to take it off.

We do have problems with the Dexcom sensor staying on for 7 days. So, I have tried Skin Tac, Mastisol, Vet wrap, and the Opsite. My daughter does not like the scent of the Mastisol (though I am fine with the smell).

A T1D mom here recommended the Opsite. The Opsite is our favorite. It helps with the sensor stay on, and it is super thin, the least intrusive.

6. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Sounds like it's been going on awhile, but just in case...are they all from the same box? If they are from different boxes, are they all the same lot number? If so, do you have a new box to try? We've had bad boxes before, including lack of stickiness issues. If you can try a different box and get better results, call Insulet and ask them to replace the first box.

As for extras...our best has been SkinTac. We wipe with alcohol, let dry, apply SkinTac, let dry to tackiness, apply the pod. Well, we also have a barrier wipe but that's for his skin and not for adhesion. We also tape it immediately with hypafix.

I know how frustrating it is. Good luck!!

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

This is interesting, because we have never had any issues with pods falling off except for last month when 2 just dropped off after being on for only a few hours. He wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary and has been on the OP for 5 years now. They just fell off. I called them in and they replaced them. Maybe there is an adhesive issue with some of them??

During the summer when my son is doing a lot of swimming we use SkinTac first, then put the pod down, then use Opsite Flexfit tape - I take 4 strips and "box" the pod in. He also wears vetrap when swimming or playing tennis/basketball. ETA: The ones that fell off did not have any SkinTac or tape on them because it was before summer break and swimming.

I would definitely call and let Insulet know what's going on. If you still have the old pods, they might replace them. It's worth a shot at least.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We didn't have any problem with the actual Pod adhesive, but my son knocked a bunch off of the tape when he wore it. One time he did it by rolling over in bed at night. We started overtaping with Opsite, and that helped. I can't believe Mastisol didn't work for you, though. That stuff is like cement in our experience!

9. roo'smom

It's not any particular box - we've always had a difficult time with OP sticking, although arms seem to be the worst (unfortunately, they also give the best BGs). I've called in the ones that last under 24 hours, but they are not too keen on replacing them, and usually won't replace all of them (I held on to them until I had 6 - my bad). This is our pod change routine:
    -Flonase, let dry (for skin issues)
    -coloplast skin barrier, let dry
    -Hollister (Mastisol, etc) adhesive, let get tacky
    -Pod
    I do use OpSite, but I should probably start doing that from the get-go, although the one that came off today, and prompted this tirade, had it on pretty much from the beginning (I just put the pod on last night).
    Funny, because I have less of an issue keeping her Dex on, and more people seem to have issues with that. We use the exact same routine for the Dex…
    I just wish it would work for her like it's supposed to - as if diabetes in and of itself isn't frustrating enough!! I'm sure you all can relate...

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We hadn't had problems until the last week. My daughter had even quit using Skin-tac, but all of a sudden, they're loose within a couple hours so we're back to Skin-tac and are now adding Hypafix as well when needed. I figured it was caused by summer.

11. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I seriously wonder if you're using too much stuff. I would suggest you try skin tac, then a layer of opsite with a hole cut where the cannula goes in, more skin tac on top of the opsite, then the pod, and another layer of opsite over the adhesive portion, but with an opening for the pod. Not that that's really less stuff, but it seems to work for some people for both skin issues and adhesion problems.

12. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I'm wondering if Insulet backed off a little on the amount or strength of the adhesive used on the Pods because there were a lot of complaints from people who were having difficulty removing Pods...

It may be less important to find the strongest adhesive available as opposed to finding the adhesive that creates the strongest bond when combined with the adhesive on the Pod.

I believe that the multimodal approach to solving problems is often the way to go: we enhance the stick-ability of Pods by adding something both under and over the Pod's adhesive. Plus starting from square one with skin that is free from sweat, skin oils, and residues from soaps and lotions is a must. Here's our routine:

1. Make sure skin is clean by washing, thoroughly rinsing, and drying it. Follow this by wiping (circularly beginning at the center) with an alcohol swab. Make sure the area you are preparing is large enough. It's easy to believe that you've prepared a large enough area when you are focusing on the size of the actual Pod instead of the total surface covered by the Pod plus the Pod's adhesive plus whatever you use to go on top of and extend beyond the Pod's adhesive. Let the alcohol dry thoroughly. Do not blow on it; in addition to the possibility of adding germs from your mouth, you may be inadvertently spraying the area with droplets of moisture too small to be seen by the naked eye. It is imperative to let the alcohol dry completely because any alcohol remaining renders the stuff you are about to use in Step 2. less effective.

2. This step can be a little tricky. Apply I.V. Prep liberally to the same area. Let it dry a little, but not too much, until it is no longer quite wet, but still quite tacky. Depending on your ambient humidity level, the window of time during which the I.V. Prep has dried to perfection can be very brief.

3. Apply the Pod. Burnish the Pod's adhesive to the skin by rubbing it onto the skin from the Pod outward. Then press on the Pod itself gently but firmly; avoid direct pressure on the window/cannula area. I believe this second part is frequently overlooked because it's easy to assume that the adhesive directly underneath the Pod is firmly adhered to the skin once the adhesive surrounding the Pod is adhered. But this is not always the case.

4. Apply Opsite Flexifix. I believe that we've had great success with Opsite in part because it "gets along well" with I.V. Prep, i.e. they compliment one another. You can apply Opsite in two ways: by taping down the edges of the Pod's adhesive, or by taping over the entire Pod plus its adhesive. I'd recommend the latter if the problem you're encountering is the Pods themselves getting knocked off of the adhesive as opposed to Pods (adhesive and all) falling off. To maximize the effectiveness of the Opsite, apply it slowly and carefully so as to avoid wrinkles or larger areas where the Opsite has folded back onto itself.

After all that, it's still possible for Pods to get knocked off anyway, just like it's possible for a tubed pump's insertion site to get pulled out or dislodged. I believe that the strength of any adhesive can be overcome by a strong enough shear force, so there are no guarantees. One has to remain aware of where their Pod or infusion set is placed in order to minimize the possibility of it coming into contact with a shear force or pulling force sufficient to dislodge it.

Another tip is to make sure that the skin is ever-so-slightly stretched ("fully extended" is the only other way I can come up with to describe this) before applying a Pod. Try to visualize it in the following way. Take a piece of fabric that has significant wrinkles and place it on a flat surface. Then take another piece of the same wrinkled fabric and place it on a flat surface, but this time remove or minimize the wrinkles by ironing it first, smoothing it down flat, or holding the ends of the fabric taut. Now place a piece of tape over each of these fabrics and press down along the length of the pieces of tape to make sure the tape is stuck down. Now pull on the opposite ends of both pieces of fabric. The tape on the unwrinkled fabric will remain in place while the tape on the wrinkled fabric will pop off/lose its attachment in places. This is what can happen if the skin underneath a Pod is not sufficiently stretched during application. So if you are attaching a Pod to a tummy, have your child lie down on a flat surface or even arch their back slightly. On a back or upper butt do the opposite. Love handles? Bend slightly to the opposite side. For an arm placement, be sure you child's arm is against their body as opposed to holding it out away from their body.

13. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Another vote for Smith and Nephew Opsite Flexifix works great for us! Swimming and sports.

14. roo'smom

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, we have to deal with her skin reacting to the pod adhesive, as well as the lack of adhesive issues, hence all of the products we use. I think what it boils down to is a skin chemistry thing, and the fact that on certain days she is literally in the pool/bay/ocean for almost 10 hours. I suppose I should be thankful we've figured out the secret concoction that allows her to wear the pod at all...