- advertisement -

What is the difference...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by yelley, Jul 9, 2010.

1. yelley

yelley Approved members

between skin preps & dressings? Don't mean to sound dumb, but what would cause you to use one over the other?

Just started pumping (saline until Monday) and want to order what we need, but I don't know the difference. The only big difference I see is the price :eek:

2. 22jules

22jules Approved members

I believe that the skin preps are to clean and add a little stick to the infusion set while the dressing is to add a protective barrier to the skin if you find that your daughter shows an allergy to the adhesive in the infusion set.

We use ivprep to clean the skin and then wipe on a skin tac wipe-$19 for a box of 50 (my insurance doesn't cover) to add extra stick. You can get skin tac from your pump company. Also a sample from here www.torbots.com. We started out only with the ivprep but before the 3rd day the infusion site would start lifting. The skin tac adds more stick and we easily go all 3 days without any lifting through soccer, summer days, etc. Also, she can easily remove when time for a site change without any additional product.

Glad to see you got in to start pumping--enjoy!

3. Our3girls

Our3girls Approved members

Our pump company is sending us some different adhesives to see which works best for her. Maybe your will do the same so you don't buy a bunch that don't end up being the solution or cause an allergy to the skin?