- advertisement -

What is the 1 thing you wish you knew at DX?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mike&Dans.Mom, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

It's been a long time since we jumped into this diabetes fun - almost 12 years!

Looking back I wish we had learned so much more at the hospital then we did.

I think the biggest thing we wish we had known was _________________(fill in the blanks)

For us, it was the different insulin that were available. We spent our first 2 months on 2 I'd rather not ever go back to.

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Hmmm, always give Lantus in the bootie, the bootie is NOT a good place for fastacting. And, a list of things that affect bg such as weather;)

3. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

That sometimes, even when your carb count is perfect and your correction factor is perfect you get wonky numbers. In the hospital, they made it all sound so simple...x number of carbs times insulin ratio plus correction factor and viola perfect control....

4. KHM

KHM Approved members

That certainty is rare. As is uninterrupted sleep.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

That it's ok to go out, go on trips, do regular everyday things.

6. Lize

Lize Approved members

That things will actually start to get easier... The tears would stop for periods of times.

7. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

That there were shorter syringes than the ones we went home with.

8. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I thankfully had a little bit of a clue what good and bad BG numbers were in the hospital but being in the state I was in, all I could do is write them down when the nurses took them.

But they talked about so many other things that I didnt even understand and my sleep deprived, emotional brain couldn't process.

What I wish is that another mother of a 2 year old with T1 diabetes had walked in the door to be my "doctor to emotional mother" translator.

I walked out with a sliding scale and set carb counts for a 2 year old child which is ridiculous - I wish I would have had someone there to tell me that I could fight for a basal-bolus approach (well, and she would have had to tell me what that meant, too)

9. lynn

lynn Approved members

The biggest thing I wish I had known was how little I knew! Nathan was never hospitalized but we went to a couple of classes. It all seemed rather simple with the hand-outs and simple examples. I remember the insulin figuring examples all had a carb ratio of 10:1. It seemed so simple. Or the correction figuring...one unit for every 25 points over 120.

Nathan was on a half a unit of insulin for every 75 carbs. And his correction factor was huge (I can't remember it right now). He couldn't have any free carbs like they told us was possible or his blood sugar would go high and a correction without an ample meal was scary. And the 15/15 rule? What a joke!

So, yeah, I wish I had known that I didn't know much of anything.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I actually wish they had directed me to this site.. it was a few months before I found it.. I wish there was information handed out at diagnoses about CWD and other support groups locally..

We didn't have a hospital stay. We missed out on a lot of that general information.. we were shown how to use a meter and give a lantus shot then sent home.

11. cockatiel

cockatiel Approved members

That D people can truly live "regular" lives and do amazing things

That many people (including extended family) can't/don't "get it" so for real hugs about D issues you need to find the parent of a D kid or a D person

That insulin pens are AWESOME

That some days it's okay to cry

That you will be SO PROUD of your D kid for what they can do/manage/accomplish and for the self-control/patience they will develop

12. PrimAdonna

PrimAdonna Approved members

I wish I had never read this thread... the weather... SERIOUSLY!! The weather can effect his bg levels??? What insulin do you wish you'd never used? Is my son on it? Why was it so bad?

And what in heck is basal/bolus???

AHHHHHHH!!!!! I swear I just want to yell "GO AWAY" and then curl up in the corner :( This D crud is enough to make a lady swear!

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I think the biggest thing we wish we had known was _________

It's ok to breath

It's ok to give my kid a bannana

sugar free stuff isn't always helpful

That I would loose friends because they couldn't handle the fact that my kid was diagnosed with a chronic condition

I would come in contact with some great people through this little website called CWD!

14. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

You are still new to all this.. don't get discouraged!

Basal/bolus is typically used as pumping terms.. but Lantus is considered the 'basal' insulin and novolog is the 'bolus' insulin.. basal is the 'base' insulin.. bolus insulin is what you give when you give corrections or cover food. :)

Yes, weather does effect some kids.. it may not effect all kids.. no insulin is 'bad' some are just not as convenient as others.. NPH is a hard insulin for kids to be on.. it peaks several times, kids need to eat a specific amount of carbs at a specific time.. it can be difficult for some kids.. others love it and it works very well for them.

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

No! It's helpful, really, I still learn something new about D frequently.

We are one of those that weather plays games with on BG levels. For example, after playing in the cold, Abby generally goes low about 2hrs after the activity. Hi's she either runs low or high, given the day. We just take it one step at a time.

No insulin is bad, they just work differently for different people. This is where the term YDMV Your Diabetes May Vary comes in. We used Lantus/Novolog on MDI and that worked well for us. Lantus is long acting (basal) Novo is short (bolus). I've heard MDI called pumping without the pump, it's similiar in concept.

Don't worry, if you curl up in the corner, we'll come and get you. That's the beauty of CWD, it's a wonderful place for support and troubleshooting.

16. Mike&Dans.Mom

Sorry to scare you! No your son is not on them! Insulins have changed alot in 12 years. Prior to 2000, most base insulin (basal insulins) were ones developed in 1950. Things were a little more rigid with these due to peaks in the insulin.
    Lantus and Leveimer are relatively "new" and don't have the peaks as their predecessors did.

Also fast acting (novolog & humalog) were not approved for children. You had to be at a pretty progressive endo office for them to prescribe these off label. We were stuck with R (or regular) insulin for food.

After a few months we switched endos!

17. PrimAdonna

PrimAdonna Approved members

**crawling out of corner***

Sorry about that :) This no sleep thing has got to me.

Thank you for your comfort! This forum has been a huge help but sometimes I read posts that scare me to death:eek:

Keep up the good stuff!

From a newbie: The one thing I wish I had done- make a list of the carb count for the meals we eat most. Five weeks into this and I'm still looking up carbs in EVERYTHING... my brain is TOAST:mad: Today I started a list on the frig.

18. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

:) I can relate.

For a while, I wrote our usual foods and/or meals with their carb content and any useful comments on a small phone book, so I could look up foods alphabetically.

I still look up certain foods. My brain is either so fried or so overloaded, that I forget sometimes.

19. Mike&Dans.Mom

If you are not using that corner do you mind if I use it to curl up and take a nap:D

20. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Hmmm, I guess I wish I had known that T1 is different for everyone and a constant learning process. Just when you think you know what you are doing, a cold comes along, or a growth spurt....or maybe the honeymoon period hits a bump in the road (we have had a few times that Josh didn't require novolog at all for a few days! He loved it, bit it was a scary time for mom and dad). There isn't a set of rules that are cut and dry with this-the target is always moving.

I wish someone had told me it is ok to make a mistake. That there will be times when you flub up...I am usually holding an infant, giving a shot, helping an older kid with homework, ....doing a hundred things at once and I have miscalculated the carbs a time or two.

Oh! I wish someone had told us how important it was to wash his hands after handling food so his readings are correct- we had a few wild readings before I figured that out. Duh!