- advertisement -

What is NORMAL BG in a Non-D kid???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pauji5, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

Ok, I'm paranoid, I know. But..... My middle son isn't feeling well, possibly flu, no fever. We periodically test the boys and it's never been an issue.

Today, he tested at 154 20 minutes after a light lunch, which included a cup of fruit cocktail. and just now, about 3 hours since eating anything, he is 136.

I'm not sure if I should worried. Do "regular" people get higher blood sugars when they are getting sick like our D kids do????

Thanks for any input.

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Yes, it's been known to happen.

3. HockeyAndSoccerMomof4

HockeyAndSoccerMomof4 Approved members

Yes, it can definitely happen. My youngest son has tested as high as 192 when sick. I really wouldn't worry about it since he isn't feeling well.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  4. maha

maha Approved members

The value are a little high but that can happen. 156 after lunch and it lowered after to 136 so it's ok. And he is ill.

Sometimes BG in nonD can be higher than usual range expected and that's not a pbm, I remember when I have been in an Emergency Dpt to analyse the workload. A teens came for examination cos was tired - The Emergentist did blood test and in the his BG was 131 and it was considered as normal. The Dr said that it could have been due the stress or lots others things.

Btw - BG in non D could be higher than usual range, in that case more often than seen sometimes, but not cos D, cos untolerance to glucose.

Do him a BG tomorrow morning to be sure but I would not worry about that if I were you.

5. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Hopefully the higher number is due to illness.

Just keep an eye as we all know with one diabetic its better to keep a close eye then let it ride out. and wait and see.

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

my non-d daughter has been as high as 180.. pedi and endo aren't worried, as long as she doesn't go over 200.. she is also, very consistently, high at night, anywhere from 130-180, until the middle of the night, then by morning she drops down.. its really nerve racking!

8. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Illness in a normal person can cause that person to test higher than normal.
    Jeff has the dx criteria posted at the top, and I believe fasting is 129, and after a meal it is 200. I believe fasting would be 4+ hours without food, but it maybe longer.
    If you're worried about it, best thing you can do is have the child seen.

9. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

thanks everyone. He's feeling better - Pretty sure no flu, just a cold and this morning his bs is 97, and that's after a juice half hour ago. I know you all can understand the paranoia....:)