- advertisement -

What is great about the state you live in?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by MissMadisonsMom, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Don't forget Broadway where it pays to have a friend in high places;):D Oops, you did say Broadway, it still pays to have friends in high places though! :)

CA is a BIG state, I live in the middle. I am within 1 hour of two national parks...And, within 2 hours of beaches and mountains:D

2. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Well, I am pro-Washington all the way, beautiful weather most of the time. Yes, it rains in the winter, but so what, the foilage is beautiful, Mt Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, Salmon, Crab, halibut, beach just a couple hundred yards from my front door. Hey, can see mountains, ocean, etc all in one day.
    Every state is beautiful in its own unique way.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Texas has great weather for about 8 months of the year. Summers are a little warm, but after walking out into 100+ temperatures, you acheive a certain appreciation of temperatures in the 90s.

4. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Michigan has the great lakes and Mackinaw...beautiful northern country. We also have great deals on real estate...if you are independantly wealthy and don't need to have a job!

Seriously, the Lake Michigan shoreline is my favorite, especially when you head north. One of my favorite drives is this little Mission Point peninsula near Traverse City. Water on both sides and tons of vineyards. In fact, Michigan makes lots of wine!

5. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

And that is just the city. Long Island has beautiul beaches and sports arenas and Upstate has beautiful mountains and lakes!!!!

I LOVE NEW YORK

6. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

The new Cowboys Stadium! Isn't that enough? The Alamo, beaches, decent weather, football, the Stockyards, JFK Museum. :D

7. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

We are in Upstate NY (anything not NYC is Upstate!) We are 2 hours from niagra falls, in the heart of wine country, we have a large population of mennonites with horses and buggies going up and down Main St and all the fresh veggies and wood crafts that go with that, and the county we live in is bordered by three pristine lakes. We have four seasons (but this year summer skipped past us)

8. jendean

jendean Approved members

Whats cool about living in the state of constant oblivion is that, though I am usually confused easily, people expect much less of me....
    Oh....
    you were talking Geographically... Oh. OK.
    Iowa has two of the filthiest rivers on earth.

9. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I am originally from Central NY near the Adirondack Mtns--some of the most beautiful mountains and lakes, and clean air that smells so good. People are down-to-earth, home to the most delicious Italian and Polish foods!

10. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

LOL, it is always good to know the right people!;)

11. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

Yes, but Iowa has the Loess Hills, a geological formation found only one other place on earth, in China! It is quite beautiful over there. And, there is nothing quite as quaint as driving down the Mississippi River Road and stopping at all the little river towns along the way. You always find a hidden treasure.

12. Vi'sMom

Vi'sMom Approved members

I live in Montana.
    Big Sky
    Big Moutains
    Wildlife
    Scenery

Nice summers, nice winters 4 seasons.

ahhh home (be there soon)

13. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I live in Tennessee, but I'm not sure if I'm a good representative of the state. We've only lived here for a couple years. I've lived in a lot of states, and I adapt well to change. I've loved every state I've lived in. These are the things that I like most about Tennessee.

Vivid watercolor hues in Spring - everything is so lushly green, dotted with splashes of purple, pink, yellow, white. It looks like a painting to me.

Huge variety of plant species and bugs - easy to grow things here

Rolling hills - you never know what's over the next hill

Weather - 4 seasons, but I rarely need gloves or a hat

History - I love to explore all of the historical plantations, quaint towns and battlefields

Music - the arts are valued and well-funded here

Hospitals - great diabetes care here for Connor and Brian

Lots to do here for kids and adults - never run out of new things to do

14. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

NYC the greatest city in the world!

15. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

Florida!!! sun, sand, palm trees...we can go to the beach in December!!!
    I wear tank tops and flip flops all year round...:D:D

16. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I have been watching this thread for several days trying to let another Iowan describe our state. Both Jendean and Holly have described out state and they are pretty much right. But they forgot to mention that we only have 2 seasons: WINTER and ROAD CONSTRUCTION!

I grew up in South Dakota tho, and we have the Black Hills, Badlands, the Corn Palace and many other interesting little places---Oh we also have Wall Drug!