- advertisement -

What is everyone's favorite BG# at night?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tuff, Apr 29, 2011.

1. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

120-140, but we always end up too high or two low :)

2. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

So it's been an hour and he is 88 (4.7). So I have now turned him down -70% for 2.5 hours. I will check again in an hour.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm happy with anything under 150 but above 120, so 120-150.:D Seriously, this is something I've been working on. Our goal til recently was correcting him only if he was 200 or more. I've started giving small corrections for anything over 150 at night, and checking around 2 or 3am (usually 3am) when I can to see that he doesn't drop too much. So far....it's kind of working....I'm hoping it'll improve his A1c. But that's so dependent on honeymooning or not, age of child, activity, etc, etc.

4. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I still carb up! I just can't seem to get those temp basals down right! It seems that everytime I do a temp basal - he is too high a couple hours later.

Answer to the original question - 120 is my NEW favorite number - until recently it was 150 or below.

Pre-bolusing - is a HUGE problem with us....we just can't seem to do it! Don't know why - maybe I need to set an alarm on my phone to remind me.

5. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

We like 140. But it seems like no matter what number Audrey goes to bed at, she wakes up in the low 100's. I'm thinking her pancreas kicks in early in the morning. Usually, around 12:30 or 1:00, she seems to go up - not what I would expect since she has Lantus at 9:00. By around 3:30 a.m., she's dropped to the low 100's and stays there.

6. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

So when I checked him at 3 am he was 138 (7.7). The temp was done but 3-6 am is when he usually drops so I figured because of the soccer I better turn him down a bit for the remainder of the night. Remember up to this point he was turned down. -70%. So I turn him down -20 for 4 hours. Now he is at 203 (11.3). So As usual I didn't get it right.

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Emma's basals are pretty spot on at night, so we'll let her ride even at 80 and she'll hange between 80 and 100 most of the night. If she gets over 140 overnight, we'll correct.

8. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Hi Tuff,

I like Oscar anywhere between 5.5 and 7.0 but we have a CGM. As to the 4.4 at midnight - I have learnt to wait it out as like your son we can go either way. I wait for the alarm. If I had no CGM I'd retest in 20-30 mins and see which way we are headed. If I touch his basals it will just come back and haunt me later.

We are 5 weeks into Apidra - it's 2 months since our last A1C so I had one done at the pharmacy to see how we were doing - we are down .5%!!!!

9. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

Okay maybe I did get it right. He kept sleeping after that last check at 7 since it is the weekend and he woke up at 163 (9.1) which isn't too bad after exercise the day before is it? Does everyone thinks that's too high? The way I'm seeing it it kept him safe and he is a kid with a lot of lows a night.

Jacky way to go on Oscars A1C goIng down! I hope I can report the same in a few weeks!

10. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

At the last check of the evening 12pm, I am comfortable with him 120-150. He naturally drifts about 30 pts up and down throughout the night so instead of fighiting the natural drifts, I just am happy with a range.

11. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

120 is my favorite nighttime number. But I don't treat at night unless under 80 or over 150.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

123 is my favorite night number, treating at around 80 if I think she will go lower, IE within 3hours of a correction or trending downward within 2 hours of her highest night basal.

I will let her be if at 80 and staying steady, I wish we had more nights like that.

13. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I like 90-105. Only because right now I have Hana's basal set where it should be and whatever she goes to bed at, she wakes up at. If her basal is off or needs work on, I like her to be around 120.

14. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I would LOVE to have her be 80 all night long.. but that NEVER works.. We're either high or low, and if she IS 80, I have to keep checking to make sure she stays 80, a temp basal could send her soaring (we try our best with temp basals and cgms, but SOMETHING always goes wrong. lol:rolleyes:)

I can't even sleep a full night with a 150, she'll either go high or go low.. its such a pain, nights have ALWAYS been the most difficult, the mess begins after dinner and continues until early morning.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

deleted, double post.

16. mandy092570

mandy092570 Approved members

I like my son sugar

To be about 150-before goes to bed if its not he is in low 70's