- advertisement -

What is a realistic A1C for a 12 year old boy? And how do you get there?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by suej, Aug 17, 2014.

1. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

This is what my endo says. Ds recent a1c was 7.0 I think and he said we are doing great. There is a temptation to cinch that a1c down but you have to consider the cost...you said yourself that you are using a lot of brain power to achieve 6.4. Which is awesome, in my opinion. I'm not saying you should move your goal up, but sometimes you have to give yourself a break and not always try to do "just a little bit better." Said another way, choose to be satisfied with imperfect.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I agree with others that say back off on the tracking and the calculating. You sound like you're close to burnout. there are lots of times when I spend extra energy looking at numbers and analyzing and making changes. Other times, we respond to the Dexcom alarms, calculate carbs and dose based on what the pump says at a meal and move on. We learned a while back that we CAN'T let diabetes take over our lives, and it was reaching that point. I have actually had Endo appointments where I haven't analyzed the numbers since the LAST appointment, 3 months prior - we spent those 3 months just living.

3. suej

suej Approved members

Thank you for all your valuable insights. It does help to hear other perspectives in trying to get living life and diabetes balance right. First thing I need is to try to recover from my sense of humour failure:)

4. mwstock

mwstock Approved members

I agree with others that 6.5 is an excellent A1C, but there may be a lot of subsequent lows. Here is a link to the new American Diabetes Association guidelines in 2014. http://www.diabetes.org/newsroom/pr...target-for-children-with-type-1-diabetes.html
    http://www.ourdiabeticlife.com/2014/06/new-a1c-targets-for-children-with.html
    The biggest thing is to adjust basal and bolus to match the bodies need. The pump allows you to program different rates and time zones and carb ratios for different meals. The CGM is nice for alarms and for observing patterns.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  5. suej

suej Approved members

My current goal using the CGM stats: for lows is 5% or less below 4 (72) and mostly high 3's (>60) and 85% in range -4 (72) to 10 (180). We very seldom see a reading in the 2-3 range (40 -54), and then usually with a very active time and not enough carbs. Standard deviation is below a third of mean (or is it average) SG. Does this seem like accepting too many lows?

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Our low% tends to be in the same range, but Dexcom hyper-alerts for lows most of the time in our house, so there are times when she's beautifully in range but Dexcom is alarming. The other day a dying sensor was reading LOW and she was at 110, so I look at the blood numbers for whether we're dealing with too many lows. In our data, the low % doesn't show any difference between a 69 and a 58, whereas IRL there is a big difference.