- advertisement -

What in the world have I agreed to do?!?!?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Carrie, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Carrie

Carrie Approved members

I got a call from the JDRF office yesterday that is located about an hour away from us. There is an elementary school not too far from our home that is going to do their own little JDRF Walk in a couple of weeks. BUT...before they do that, they want a volunteer to come in and do an informational presentation about Type 1 and Type 2 to each PE class. The guy that was suppose to do it is leaving that day for Florida and gave them my name as someone that might be willing to do it. :eek: Talk about throwing me under the bus! So...not sure WHY, but I have pretty much agreed to doing it, but now am getting scared to death! What do you think are some easy-to-understand things that you think young children should know about Type 1, or something that you would like kids to know?

I was going to take a week's worth of syringes so they could get a visual about that. I was going to have my daughter check her blood for them and show them the pump and how it works. I was going to bring up people that have it that they might know (Jay Cutler...Jonas Brothers). Any other suggestions? Anyone want to do it for me?!?!? :D

2. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

I think what you have so far is good. I would also tell them that you dont get Type 1 from eating sugary foods or from not exercising, and that it usually runs in families. When talking about Type 2, I would give examples of options to do besides playing video games and watching TV and give examples of better snacks than chips and soda.

3. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

That it's not contagious?

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

That kids with type 1 diabetes are very healthy, its just that their pancreas cant do one of its jobs any more. Thats a great idea to talk about famous people with d, these folks are doing whatever they want in life and not letting diabetes hold them back. Gary Hall jr won several medals in swimming after being diagnosed with diabetes

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  5. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Maybe you could have all of the kids write down what they think it means to have diabetes and so you can debunk all of the myths.

6. Carrie

Carrie Approved members

Thank you all for your input! One thing I wanted to stress is even though it is called a "disease", it isn't something that you can catch like the flu or chicken pox. I always get so bugged when adults have stupid, uneducated comments because they don't know the difference between Type 1 or 2, and now I have an opportunity to educate little ones who probably don't know anything about either, and I want to make sure I hit the important stuff so they can pass the word along. I have been out of school for...well...um...let's just say for about 20 years. I don't remember anyone that had juvenile diabetes while I was in school. Seems like every time you turn around you hear of someone new with it. :(

7. pdxmom

pdxmom Approved members

Did the JDRF staff not give you a script to help you? I used to do this at schools in my area and I was given a great script that REALLY helped!

I will see if I can find it in my old files somewhere.

Debbie

8. Carrie

Carrie Approved members

I can't make it down to the office before the thing at the school. They are suppose to call and discuss some things to cover. It's kinda sad at all of the medical terms that my 6-year old understands, but she has been dealing with this for the last three years. I figure I have to go pretty easy on a young crowd.

9. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I would start off explaining that Diabetes is something one cannot catch and that there are different types of diabetes and it is either when your body does not produce insulin which is type 1 and type 2 when your body does not use the insulin that it produces and or the insulin is not enough.
    You can then go on to explain that your daughter has type 1 and she must get insulin through injections or an insulin pump. You can show the different things your daughter uses each day to deal with diabetes such as the lancet device, syringes, insulin pump, scale to weigh food, etc.
    Here is a good link to read about type 2 called You did not eat your way to Diabetes.
    http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046739.php
    Hey, I know you will do a great job.

10. Annapolis Mom

Annapolis Mom Approved members

This sounds like a great opportunity and I'm sure you'll do great!

I would, however, reconsider bringing in a week's worth of syringes. I wouldn't want someone being newly diagnosed sitting in a hospital bed with that picture in her mind.

Best of luck. Tell us how it turns out!

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

With little kids expect that MANY of them will tell you that their grandma, uncle, etc. has diabetes and this and that. They can barely contain themselves because they want to share that they know something about it.

It is important to note the difference between the two types - I guess these kids are much more at risk for type 2 (than type 1) and have more family/experience with type 2. I would try to give a good overview between the two and draw some distinctions - talk about healthy eating and weight.