- advertisement -

What has your child had a skin reaction to?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bisous, Apr 4, 2013.

1. bisous

bisous Approved members

Just out of curiosity!

DS1 evidently has sensitive skin.

He cannot use:

Most bandaids
    IV 3000
    Tagaderm
    The teflon cannula of quicksets and silhouettes

He has been fine with:

Hypafix tape
    Metal sites
    ALL the tapes used with MM sites
    MM sensors

We have an endo appointment TOMORROW. I'm planning on asking about the Dex CGMS but am now concerned about skin allergy. We've been really fortunate not to have a problem with most MM products.

2. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Campbell has very sensitive skin and is allergic to many adhesives. He can wear band aids for a short time, but much more than an hour and his skin will get red and itchy.

So far (touch wood!), he does fine with the Dexcom. We use Hypafix tape to keep the sensor on through showers etc. While some can leave the Dex sensors on and going for weeks on end, we find we have to pull them at about 10 days to avoid skin irritation.

3. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Hanna gets rashes with many adhesives, she cannot wear band aids. She has been fine with pump sites, inset with animas and mios for Medtronic. She is wearing omnipod now with no problems.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

Metal - jean snaps, Minimed CGMS sites, Sure-T's, earings, rings, Medical ID bracelets...anything metal. The only metal that does not cause an immediate reaction is Sterling Silver - everything else makes an itchy oozy mess.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Me:
    band aids (sometimes), paper tape, hospital gowns (probably due to the detergent), sof-sensors, I-Ports.
    I occasionally have skin issues with Dexcom even though I don't usually, and I'm have more skin irritation but no real reactions with the G4 sensors than I was with 7+.

6. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I manage Bethany's sensitive skin with cavilon wipes under her pod with great success. I also do an opsite barrier under the sensor with a small notch cut out for the needle to pass through. Vit e oil helps prevent scarring applied 2 days after site changes. Applied after every shower is best

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter too has sensitive skin. We are using the Dex and have not had any issues with it at all. We secure it Hypafix and Skintac. Both have not created any redness:)

We cannot us Mastisol remover and She now has issues with IV3000.

8. shannong

shannong Approved members

Recently tried the omnipod and DS developed allergic reaction to the adhesive.

9. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

I thought he reacted to just about every medical adhesive but it turns out it was the numbing cream. It took us a very long time to figure it out but he was getting burn like reactions on his skin. It was terrible. We just ice now and he is fine but we sometimes use a silicone barrier because he has sensitive skin.

10. tina

tina Approved members

my little guy has been allergic to most bandaids since about two. He also will breakout occasionally due to lotions, creams or even some types of clothing.

we tried the dexcom but he would breakout under the adhesive and itch like crazy, then peel off the bandage to scratch at it and displace the sensor.

We tried a couple of different layers of adhesives and types of bandages and after going through four sensors in a week, we decided to put off the dexcom for a few more years until little fingers can avoid scratching.

We also had issues due to the dexcom having issues remaining within calibration, even when he wasnt scratching. :)