- advertisement -

What happens after cut the cord program??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by roo'smom, Sep 3, 2014.

1. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Just wondering if anyone has run in to this issue yet…
    We did the "cut the cord" program when OP came out with it years ago (dd wears a MM when not wearing the pod). Fast forward to now, and we're having stuck key issues, but we're out of warranty on the PDM. When I asked Insulet how much a new PDM would be OOP they quoted me $500. I'm willing to fork over another $200, but not $500, and don't want to go through insurance for it. DD wants to get a t-slim when her MM dies. Has anyone had any experience with buying an out of warranty PDM? I'm guessing Insulet makes their money through the pods, not the PDM, so it would behoove them to allow you to essentially "cut the cord" again (minus the whole start up kit!). I guess I kind of sound like I want it all, which I do:p
    Anyone?
    Thanks!!

2. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

"When I asked Insulet how much a new PDM would be OOP they quoted me $500."

You should remind them that they offer their PDM for $200 through the cut the core program, and ask for the same deal.

Our insurance paid for our Omnipod pump. Then we decided that we should have a backup PDM at home, in case something happen to our pump. I called Insulet about buying a PDM out of pocket, they too quoted me $500. I asked VERY nicely that they sell their PDM for $200 sometimes, and if I could get the same deal. She right away said that she can sell it to me for $250. So, we have a second PDM at home for $250. It was very easy. Try just ask...

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I think the issue for you may be that you're out of warranty. I know when we lost ours about 6 mos in it was $200 to replace it. But I'm not sure how many times they'll honor that. I know when I lost a dexcom transmitter I got a "one time" cheaper replacement. But they were super clear it was a one time deal. I'd at least try and see what they'll do for you.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Are you out of warranty on your MM? If not, I would think that you could do cut the cord again. I've never heard anything about it being a one-time offer.

5. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Thank you all for the thoughts/ideas. Our old PDM is still functioning, so it hasn't become imperative that we get a new one yet, but at least I have some ideas for when/if we do. I'm hoping dd will want to go back on her MM once summer is over - I get so frustrated with pod failures, PDM issues, an the 200 unit reservoir…

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

After reading these posts, I'm even more grateful that our CDE gave us two brand-spanking-new PDMs when DD started pumping with OmniPod. (She said that the rep had an extra she was looking to unload somewhere.) This could come in handy if my daughter ever decides to try a tubed pump, our current PDM effs up, and she decides to go back to Podding.