- advertisement -

What happens after a seizure

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by D-Dad, Jan 17, 2010.

1. D-Dad

D-Dad Approved members

My wife is away with my d-daughter who just had a seizure.... she has never had one, we never even had a bad low). She is up a feeling horrible which I understand to be normal... but now they are transporting her to the local hospital.... is that normal?

2. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

I'm so sorry that happened. I don't know what the "normal" response should be, but I'm quite sure that in our house, if Ava were having a seizure, I'd have the glucagon in one hand and the phone dialing 911 in the other.

Better to have them check things out and go home feeling reassured.

3. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

D-Dad speaking from experience here unfortunately. Your daughter will generally feel miserable after the seizure. She will also be very tired. I have fought like a trucker with EMT's, paramedics, cops and family members here. If they used glucagon she may vomit from the injection of glucagon. I find after a bad low, I just want to sleep. Trying to help you out. Your daughter will be okay. I would tell your wife to let her run higher then normal for the next day and a 1/2. I would generally not want my number to go down below 200 until Monday. I know bad D care but necessary after a bad low.
    Wendy

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

Depends on the circumstances, but better safe than sorry..

Hospital would be indicated in particular in the event of an inadvertent overdose of insulin (eg. giving the Lantus twice, or Humalog in place of Lantus) where BG levels are not stable but continuously dropping. Also if the seizure was severe in intensity/duration, if there's difficulties breathing, or confusion/loss of consciousness.

I'm so sorry to hear of this - a real scare for you.

This advice is given here:
    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/seizures_emergencies/page4_em.htm
    "A first seizure is a reason to visit your doctor or a hospital's emergency department."

5. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Yes, it can be normal to transport to the hospital. In fact, I would feel safer especially if the seizure was pretty bad. My Nephew has a life threatening seizure disorder so I understand how scary seeing this happen is. Let your wife know that I am sending a lot of (((hugs))) her way.

Also if your daughter may be really tired after having a seizure so if she wants let her sleep as much as she needs to. Having a seizure can really zap a person and make them feel extremely tired afterwards.

6. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

Transporting your daughter to the hospital I would imagine is normal and all around the safe thing to do. I myself don't have D but I do have a seizure disorder and I can tell you from my own experience that a gran mal seizure depending on how severe can make me feel like I just got hit by a train when I come out of it and I'm pretty much worthless for the rest of the day. I myself don't get taken to a hospital after every seizure simply because I'm an adult and I can make that choice on my own. However if my wife doesn't feel like I'm not responding like I should as I'm coming out of a seizure, that's when she'll call the ambulance which fortunately has only happened a handful of times in the 26 years I've dealt with it.

7. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I'm so sorry, do you know of any of the details that led to the seizure?
    Did your wife check her BS after the seizure.
    How old is she, and how long has she had diabetes.
    I'm so sorry, my bigghest, biggest fear...

8. D-Dad

D-Dad Approved members

OK-So here’s the story…

First off-all is well. We are now home and Sasha is relaxing in the bath.

Sasha is 10 years old, 60 lbs.. has had D for 5+ years and feels lows very well (although we do not rely on this). We have not seen anything in the 50’s for years…. We are pumpers… And I’m not talking Jersey Shore fist pumping… well, maybe every now and again for a goof.

We live in NYC… and my wife took Sasha and 5 of her friends away for the week-end for Sasha’s birthday. While I stayed in the city with the other two kids.

They had a fun day playing lazer tag, lazer maze, racing go-carts and roller skating…

It was an active day, but not off the charts. Her numbers were checked every 2 – 3 hours and were always in the 100’s. At the end of roller skating, Sasha took a spill and thought she broke her arm….. so they got it x-rayed. No break. So back to the house for pizza, cake and a movie… Sasha is checked at 11:30 and is 97… with 0.7 onboard. Basal should have been lowered or carbs given…. Anyway, Sasha falls to sleep around midnight, and is checked around 12:30 (as she was 97 with 0.7 onboard) – now she’s 25 ! She is given fast active carbs – but then begins a seizure – which lasted about 10 minutes. Everyone’s freaking out. My wife gives glucagon (although it seems that may have gotten screwed up), calls 911 and calls me. I call our nanny to come over, find my motor cycle helmet has been stolen (lovely), so I call a car service, post to this forum and then meet them at the hospital. She was put on a D10 drip in the ambulance, D5 in the ER and ate another 50 carbs. Her pump was off her for about 4 hours and she kept on eating – but her numbers bounced between 91 and 147 for that whole time (I did fantasize that she was cured). Finally she went up, 200, 300, 400. Put the pump back on and changed the target to 200. The hospital let us go around 3pm.

Not fun. I hope this helps someone else in some way.

All the best,
    Mark

9. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Mark,
    Thank you for posting.
    I'm so sorry this happened, especially on her birthday:(
    How is she feeling now?

10. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Mark,

You've been given some sound advice. Make sure you let your endo in on the details. I usually let Tom run higher for about 2 days. He would sleep the whole time if he could.

Good luck.

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

Not at all clear how she can go from 97 at 11:30 with 0.7 onboard, to 25 at 12:30 am. Thank goodness she was checked then!

Seems to me there must be some pump problem, and would look very carefully into programmed basal rates, ISF, DIA, etc.

So sorry you had this experience - great that she's home safe and sound. :)

12. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

so sorry to hear that happened and glad you are all home. She probably went low, at least partly, because of all the activity during the day. I'n sure this must have been so scary. We haven't experienced a seizue, but would probably go to the hospital just to be safe. thanks for posting and take care!

13. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

It sounds like a low from all of the activity from that day. From what I learned at a recent CWD Conference lows can appear up to 24 hours after intense activity. I suspect that was the culprit. I am glad that Sasha is feeling better. What a scary experience.

14. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I imagine the bad fall could have had an effect too. Maybe her BG was "artificially elevated" from the trauma/fear and then really plummeted when it was corrected? Add to that an activity low and... yikes.

Who knows -- just glad she's OK.

15. linda

linda Approved members

Sorry this happened..glad shes ok now. Em had her seizure same age. (MDI at the time) no seizures since pumping...Probably I agree the activity, also the trauma, also start up of fun loving HORMONES?....Em tends to go Hi from adrenaline after any kind of out of the ordinary, including an argument...Good job with glucagon and nite check!!;)

16. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

How scary! I'm glad she is feeling better. I know that it will take you and your wife awhile to trust again. It will come, though. Time helps to heal the scare.

17. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

It's stories like this that scares the (beep) outta me. First you read that Glucogon is rarely used. Then you read about someone who needed it.

Thanks for making us aware of the real dangers of such a low.

Our endo told us to administer Glucogon with one hand while calling 911 with the other.

18. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

So glad she is home. What a crummy end to a birthday! Our endo instructed us to give glucagon first, then call 911 in event of seizure. Then let run high (200) to restore glycogen stores that will be depleted by use of glucagon. I hope we never have to follow these instructions.

19. Denise

Denise Approved members

Keep in mind that people tend to post more when they have problems...there are many people here who have had D experience who have never had to use the glucagon. The key is to be prepared....and pray you never have to use it.