- advertisement -

What happened?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sooz, Jun 25, 2013.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have no idea how much is in a cup or half cup, we weigh pasta and rice.

With bothof them we weigh before and after and then giver her her portion and figure out the carbs. If i cooked the pasta correctly and it is aldente, then pasta doubles in weight, so a serving of 56grams weight doubles to 112grams weight for 42carbs or a carb factor of. 37

the thing to remember with pasta is that if it is overcooked that it will be LESS carbs and a lower carb factor. So when we are out I take a piece of pasta and test it for doneness and decide what carb factor to use, if slightly overdone then. 30 or if really overdone then. 27,

Until very recintly my dd did not like rice so never had to deal with it, but she now is liking it and if I am making it it weigh and measure before and after, it has been so seldom that i dont rember off hand a carb factor

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We weight them on our Salter scale. But I find pasta, especially (he doesn't eat much rice) so tricky to dose for that an exact carb count is the least of my worries.

3. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

For us, I have found that using measuring cups work the best. Not weighing...

White rice = 1/3 cup is 15 grams
    Wide egg noodles = a slightly heaping cup is 45 grams.
    Plain spaghetti noodles = 1 level cup is 45 grams
    Spaghetti with meat = 1 cup is 30 grams

4. shannong

shannong Approved members

One cup of basmati rice (we always use this type) = 37 grams. Rice has never been a problem for us and tend not to see any delayed action. Perhaps because he always eats it plain.

One cup of pasta = 45 grams. But as someone else said, it is the delayed action on pasta that is the most troublesome for us. I usually have to set a higher temp basal, one to two hours after eating.

5. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

We eat brown basmati rice a lot and we count it as 40 grams per cup. We never eat pasta at home and it is a treat in a restaurant (we avoid Italian places) only because it is so hard to dose for. It isn't the carb count, it's the timing. If we bolus right when he finishes eating he goes low pretty quickly followed by about an 8 hour high. If we hold the bolus for about 45 minutes, we avoid the low, but still have the really long high.