- advertisement -

What happened to Karma?? (a vent)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by NatBMomto4, Jan 18, 2011.

1. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

Last night when my husband went into Andrew's room at 2AM to check his bg, he found our beloved 5 year old Golden Retriever lying dead beside Andrew on his bed. We do not know how or why he died - he was happy and healthy yesterday...Remy had been sleeping with Andrew on his bed for the past 4 years. Andrew and Remy were cut from the same cloth - both loyal, gentle hearted souls who make the people around them happy just with their presence. Andrew - and all of my boys (Keira is too young to understand) - is devastated. I am relieved that school was cancelled today, as well as Erik's work, because we are all walking around in a bit of a fog today.

Andrew has gone through so much in under a year. He was dx'd last March - as all of you well know, it has been a long 10 months of learning and adjusting to a life with D - and Andrew has handled it with a maturity and grace far beyond his years. His school nurse cannot tell me enough what a fantastic kid he is - "He NEVER complains!" she tells me, and I know she is right - he doesn't.

Three months after dx, his best friend moved to Canada. They have stayed in touch through Facebook and Skype, but it isn't the same. Again, he never complains. Andrew is fortunate to have many great friends - again, his personality draws them to him like a magnet - people WANT to be around him.

Then in September, my Father-in-law passed away. He was the first of my kids' 4 grandparents to pass on, and it was the first funeral my children have ever been to. It was difficult, but again, Andrew amazed us with his grace and maturity.

Today, after seeing him suffer through the loss of Remy, I am angry...How much does the poor boy have to suffer in 1 year's time? Whatever happened to Karma? If anyone I know deserves some good luck to come their way, it is Andrew. He is such an amazing kid with such a big heart - my husband will often say to me "I want to be Andrew when I grow up" .

Please forgive my ranting - I know things could be worse. My husband and I have already cried into each others arms saying to each other the horrible thought that had plagued us both for hours after finding Remy - it could have been Andrew! We thank God it wasn't...I do not mean to wallow, this is all just so fresh and raw. I just know that if anyone will get where I am coming from when I shout "Leave my boy alone now!" to the heavens above, it is all of you D parents. Thank you for letting me vent.

2. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

So sorry for the loss of your pet. It does seem particularly unfair.

3. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Your post breaks my heart. I'm so sorry for the loss of your pet. We lost our golden suddenly as well. They are prone to spleen cancer. It can burst in the night and they bleed out internally. Sorry if that is too much information. They are such a great breed and a special part of the family. It is a devastating loss.
    Your son really has had a rotten year. He sounds like a great boy. I'm sorry he's gone through such a tough time. It isn't fair.

4. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

Bless Andrew's heart and your whole family. It has been a tough year for all of you.... And as a Mom, I TOTALLY get where you are coming from. There are times, when I want to scream, 'Leave my son alone'! You're being the normal protective loving Mom and that only comes natural. Then, when things like this happen, that nature of ours kicks into overdrive.

Feel free to cry, scream and vent all you want. Follow it up with a fair amount of hugs around the house.....

You've come to the place that has always been welcoming to me too. These people are great.

Keep us posted how ya'll and Andrew are doing over the coming days.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

HUGS!! I am sorry.:(

I understand those thoughts too.

6. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I'm so sorry for the loss of Remy... and for all the struggles your son has gone through in the past year. It does seem unfair, but I'm heartened to hear that he seems to be able to handle it all with aplomb. (He sounds like a great kid who will grow to be a lovely adult.)

We lost our beloved Aussie shepherd this summer and he was our son's best furry friend, his nighttime companion, and a dog with the amazing ability to sense lows and alert our son. The loss of Treelo was doubly traumatic -- it was such a comfort knowing that he was there and keeping an eye on things at night.

I hope your family finds comfort soon... and, after some time, is able to welcome a new doggie friend into your home and hearts.

7. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

So sorry about the loss of your pet. Pets are truly a part of our families and it's so hard when they pass on.

I wish I knew why life is not always fair. Yes, it can seem down right cruel at times. Cry as much as you want...it can help.

It sounds to me that you have a wonderful family and Andrew appears to be quite amazing. Hard as is may be, focus on your blessings...you have many.

8. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I'm so sorry for your loss and string of sad events. I've felt the same way after learning my son has ADHD--been yelling at the universe "Is is REALLY necessary to make his life any harder???" Hang on to each other and your love--better times are surely ahead for you! Take care.

9. auntjoanie

auntjoanie Approved members

Oh Natalie, I am so sorry you and your family have lost your beloved pet.

10. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

I am so sorry. A families pet is a member of the family and you greive them just as you would anyone else. Hug Andrew, as well as the rest of your family, and stay strong. If our D kids have proven anything to us, it's that they are strong and brave. We should all be proud of them.

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Natalie, Im so so sorry :( I can understand your anger. I hope the rest of this year brings lots of well deserved joy to your family. Andrew is my hero, he has dealt with so damn much in his young life:(

12. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

I am so sorry!

I feel these emotions at times also....you all are in my thoughts.

13. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Oh gosh, your post has me in tears... I am so very very sorry for your loss, and for all the sad things Andrew has had to endure this past year.

I hope all your tomorrows look brighter than these past months...

HUGS to all of you.

Kathy

14. selketine

selketine Approved members

How sad - I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree that it is fortunate that you found the dog had passed during the night before your son woke up. The only positive from this is that the dog didn't suffer beforehand and wasn't sickly for a long time. Maybe down the road there will be a very lucky puppy to have you as a family.

15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Sorry to hear of Remy's passing

16. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

I would agree - your little man has had enough!! I'm so sorry for your loss of a puppy so loved! Prayers and hugs!

17. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

Thank you all so much for the kind and encouraging words. Your support has helped make a very difficult day a little bit better!

Although I should not be surprised, Andrew is handling this amazingly well. He has let himself cry, as have his brothers, so I know they are letting themselves go through the process of grieving. Of my 3 boys, Andrew was always the closest to Remy - he fed him, and slept with him. They all loved him, but my husband and I considered Remy "Andrew's dog". Andrew looked through pics of Remy today and we reminisced with laughter and with tears. He hung Remy's collar on the wall above his bed so that Remy will still be with him at night, which I thought was so incredibly sweet. At one point this afternoon, my 2 year old, Keira, started walking around the house looking for Remy and calling his name over and over. I don't know how to make a 2 year old understand what has happened to her furry daytime companion - he kept her company while her brothers were in school, and she will really miss him tomorrow when they go back to school. I know it is a process, and it takes time. It is wonderful to have you guys to lend the support you all have. Thank you, friends!!:cwds:

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

:(

19. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I'm so sorry.
    Sometimes it seems like the universe is just piling things on, doesn't it. It's just not fair. :(

20. sooz

sooz Approved members

my heart is breaking for you.. :(