- advertisement -

what do your kids wear to school??

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by goochgirl, Aug 1, 2011.

1. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

This is for non-uniform schools. My kids are switching to public school in a couple of weeks, and will not be in uniforms for the first time. I bought the boys a couple of polo style shirts and 2 pairs of jeans. DD only wants to wear jeans and tshirts (which kills me; I've been dying to make her a wardrobe!) since she finally has jeans. The kids insist on jeans and t's only. ??? We never did that. I have VERY limited funds for school clothes this year; only a couple outfits each. Its going to be difficult enough for them to feel like they fit in, I'd like them to be dressed appropriately. So...please tell me, what are your kids wearing to school????

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Last year the 7th grade "uniform" consisted of skinny jeans, leggings, uggs, tees and flannel shirts and Northface jackets. They are adamantly "anti-uniform" but given free range to dress as they please the little lemmings all want to look alike. :rolleyes:

Can't say for sure yet what this fall will bring. Suspect the Northface and Ugg are both on the way out, but this is unconfirmed :cool:

3. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Lol Sarah, shirts from A&f, American eagle, hollister,aeropostal. And converse sneakers when not wearing Uggs. I call it the middle school uniform. All my daughter wants for her bday on saturday is new Uggs so I think that one is still going strong.

4. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

my son will only be 6 this year so no huge fashion-we get shirts and hoodies at consignment shops and have to buy jeans new because he is always ripping holes in the knees and the used ones a bit thin through the knees from boys like him. I'd check out if you have a kids consignment shop nearby-I bought a wardrobe real cheap for my niece there and there was a lot of fashionable things that met her approval compared to a goodwill type of store.

5. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I have 2 boys and it's only jeans and tees here. But brand names are becoming more important the older they get. Ugh. Don't even get me started on the shoes. I have said over and over, no I will not buy you $125 shoes even though "everybody" has at least 4 pairs..... Ugh...

6. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Do you have a Plato's Closet near you? It is a resale store that only takes in the newest fashions. Great place to get a wardrobe for your child on a budget! My son wears Hollister, Abercrombie, American Eagle, some Aeropostale...Jeans are the same also. Shoes..ugh, my kid just hit a mens size so I am already paying the $$ for those! Plato's Closet also has shoes though! Good luck. I know that it is no fun.!

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Oh, Converse! How could I forget them? Maddie even;) has a "custom" pair :rolleyes: Her choice, when offered a gift for being a good sport in transitioning to a new pump (which she dislikes) and getting ready to cgm.

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

most days Rachel very nearly goes in her pyjama's :rolleyes: Talk about procrastinate....
    She prefers sports pants or shorts and plain t-shirts..

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I can't remember how old your older kids are, but jeans and Ts are pretty much the "uniform" for public school kids here, both boys and girls.

10. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Here we have jeans and Tees and Converse... (oh my).

11. Denise

Denise Approved members

For my kids who are at the public HS...it's comfy clothes. Tshirts and shorts or jeans. Kristen tends to want to dress up a bit more but then again, she IS nearly 16...fashion is a huge issue. We don't shop at high end stores. We go to TJ Maxx or Marshalls...Plato's Closet and sometimes Kohl's. We also get some hand me downs from an older cousin.

My younger two go to a private school with uniforms but when they do dress down days...they wear capris, jeans, shorts...etc with tshirts or cute tops.

12. jules12

jules12 Approved members

My son wears jeans and t-shirts. He has a few polo style shirts with colors but those are usually worn on picture day and then he goes back to t-shirts. I recently found some $1.99 tshirts for him at old navy in the clearance section. Kohls will also put t-shirts on sale too. He is just now getting into the "name brand" tshirts but he only has 1 or 2.

My daughter who is older - likes to accessorize! She loves jewelry, scarves, etc. We watch for those in the clearance section. A lot of her friends where skinny jeans and t-shirts every day. Usually it is the girl cut t-shirts - not the regular kind the boys wear. I usually pick up a few in different colors at kohls on sale that she can layer.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Jeans and tees for the most part here. The big thing is to go to this awesome consignment shop and go shopping there. That seems to be the rage with their friends right now. Fine with me, they can get a bunch for $20.

14. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

I started giving the kids a budget and let them pick out what they want. They each shop differently. One is a bargain shopper, the other really into brand names.

I pay for underwear, socks, a pair of shoes, and school supplies separate from the clothes money, and try to space that out over the year. I also remind them that they don't have to have all thier fall clothes at once. We also do some shopping for Christmas, Black Friday, etc so they don't have to worry about getting it all before school starts.

It always cracks me up how they want to wear a sweater or something really hot on the first day of school, and it is often a scorcher.

15. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

My son and his friends wear nylon shorts and T-shirts, I put my foot down on the shorts once there is snow on the ground, then he switches to nylon pants and on a rare occasion jeans.

Luckily, I can still get his shorts at Target, but now he prefers the "name brand" t-shirts. I can usually find a good selection at TJ Maxx and Kohls has them on sale often too.

16. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Jeans and t-shirts here with maybe one nicer shirt for picture day. Most of these things are from Salvation Army, Goodwill and consignment shops. I get clothes that are in fashion and in good shape for very little money and I love it!:)

17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This year I think I'm going to let the girls get a back to schOol outfit thenwait on the rest. It is still hot and we don't have AC at our schools. As it gets cooler we will then shop, when stuff is on sale:)

18. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We don't get all the boys (well and now the baby girl!) clothes at once. Just here and there. Something goes on sale, we grab it. Aeropostale has a great back to school sale with their printed Tee's so we tend to get a lot of shirts at that. We have a trendy consignment shop in town and I got all of my older son's hollister shirts and abercrombie jeans there. E bay also! People see lots of trendy clothes on there!

19. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

The first month or so, they are still wearing their shorts and tees from summer. I have learned not to go crazy clothes shopping for the first months because it is really not necessary. I may get them one new outfit for the first day so it feels special, but wait a month or so for fall clothes...and then you can hit some sales. Luckily, my daughter does not yet care what name is on her clothes...I hope she never does...and I do a lot of Target shopping! My sons get a lot of hand me downs from their older cousin...but new stuff usually comes for Target or J.C. Penneys.

But jeans are the norm for the boys. My one son loves shirts with his favorite TV or video game characters, my youngest likes plain or striped tees or shirts. My daughter will wear jeans but prefers leggings or another comfy pant...comfort is the most important for her. T-shirts, hoodies, sweaters...like I said, she doesn't care yet what she wears. Yay! Hope it lasts.

20. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

At 15.5 Kayla mainly wears jeans, t shirts, hoodies and converse or vans shoes. She only dresses up if it is a day she had to give a speech or perform.

Noah is 12 and he wears, hoodies, jeans or shorts, t's (mainly aero or rock bands) and DC shoes.. he tends to think he is skater so that is what he looks like, his most important accessory is his hat.

Nick is 8 and all he cares about is comfy clothes, he only wears althletic pants or shorts and t-shirts. No coat for that kid.. only lightweight hoodies. I think I got one hoodie that is lined for when it is neg temps. Silly kid.