- advertisement -

What do your kids drink?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by denise3099, Jul 26, 2010.

1. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

Mostly water or ice tea, unless low or strenuous exercise then gatorade or juice. If we go out to eat either tea diet or milk.

2. RebeccaB

RebeccaB Approved members

Usually Crystal Lite, but this summer it's been sugar-free Kool-Aide with splenda. We drink a lot of water too.

Believe me, if I bought diet soda Taylor would drink it in a heartbeat.

I recently got a Magic Bullet blender and I've been making slushies with the Kool-Aid - they've been a big hit.

3. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

Kerry has the diet v8 splash juice with breakfast = 3 carbs a serving and 1 serving of veggie + 1 serving of fruit!
    she has water in between meals,
    sometimes has a Minute Maid 10 (called something else) at school
    for special occasions
    she drinks milk with meals at home
    we have those new koolaid things but I split 1 between two kids
    she gets diet soda when we go out to eat and I do
    buy diet slice or sprite zero, she drank a ton of diet coke the two times
    she was in the hospital!!
    I make crystal light fruit punch, but double the water and the kids do not notice

she needs to drink more than she does though

4. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Oy - DS would drink three 2 liters in a day if I let him! He wants nothing but diet drinks and will sometimes refuse to drink water if he knows I have diet soda in the house. I try not to keep it around unless we buy cokes for "mexican food night" or "spaghetti night" etc.

I try my best to get him to drink water and lately he has requested ice water at night :D but it's a struggle to get him to drink it during the day for some reason.

We did a lot of Crystal lite at dx and I have a ton of Purevia (made from stevia) that I got free from target with coupons. He used to have it with homemade yogurt every day. Now he refuses the yogurt :rolleyes:

I think I'll see if he will drink Kool-aid made with the purevia. Going to make some now. :)

I hate giving him artificial sweeteners but since dx he won't drink regular coke even if we offer it - likes the taste of diet better :rolleyes:

5. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

Matt was never a soda drinker until diagnosis. He used to love lemonade, milk and water. Now, he drinks water, caffeine-free diet coke, minute maid light lemonade or crystal light. He drinks juice for lows and on a very rare occasion, for breakfast. It sends him skyrocketing!

6. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

DD gets soda only as a treat, diet and no caffeine, maybe once a week or less frequently. I recently got the Izze-esque sodas (I think they are sweetened with stevia) and DD liked them.

Her between meal drink of choice is water and she gets milk at breakfast and lunch, sometimes dinner.

I also have on hand the Sobe Lifewater zero calorie drinks, which are relatively low-carb, and I've tried the no calorie Propel stuff, which she will sometimes drink.

7. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Jayden drinks mostly G2 and diet soda. She is more likely to drink diet soda at home, actually...she really likes to pop open a can :). When we're out she frequently gets bottled water. We're more or less in a beach town and the public tap water is NASTY. I'm not even a picky water drinker, but it's really bad, so I let her buy the bottles.

8. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Milk with breakfeast
    Water anytime (sparkly or ice)
    Crystal lite lemonade for playdates or in between
    Diet soda as a treat in restaurants (once a week)
    Roaring Water flavored water for in the lunch box
    Juicy Juice for correcting nighttime lows
    Regular juice box at parties
    :)

9. cockatiel

cockatiel Approved members

Concerned about sugar and artificial sweeteners here, so --

1) SELTZER WATER! Dd loves it. With a drop or two of lemon juice, she says it's the best drink out there. For a treat, she'll occasionally add a tablespoon of cranberry juice (and count the carbs.....)

When our grocery store stopped carrying seltzer water for a few weeks, it was a crisis!

2) WATER

3) Unsweetened iced tea. (This is proof that you can get used to anything -- I can't drink the stuff, but she says it's great once you get used to it...)

4) Milk with meals

My non-D son and I have sweetened iced tea, but mostly we drink water and seltzer water too!

10. decota'smom

decota'smom Approved members

i typically don't allow Decota to have soda because he is ADHD also and finding diet caffeen soda is sometimes hard....he drinks little water, depending on what kind of day he is having...mostly he drinks sugar free koolaid..I recently found a off brand diet v8 splash juice which has only 3carbs and 2gm sugar and we have had no spikes...he drinks it w/breakfast....and he likes the g2 gatoraid....and he hates milk so that is completly out although he could eat his weight in cheese and yogurt

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I would say 85 to 90% water, 5 to 10% milk and 5% or less soda (Soda is usually just when were not at home, but we do buy it for the house once in a while...)diet for Seth and regular soda for my other two boys...Were all big water drinkers here :)

12. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

Johnny and I just discovered a diet Welch's drink that he LOVES. He has never been much of a juice drinker and not a soda drinker at all. He drinks milk and water.

He likes Roarin' Waters too with his lunch at school.

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

:p Truer words were never typed!

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My older son does not like any artificial sweetened stuff or carbonated. He drinks OJ for breakfast (3 oz.) , milk or small 15 carb juice box for lunch. Milk for dinner or cranberry grape juice. He just boluses for everything. He drinks lots of water in between.

15. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Cayden drinks alot of Diet soda, prolly way to much, but so do I.. Cayden also likes to drink Tea, Powerade Zero, Crystal Light and water.. I would say he drinks more diet soda then anything though..

16. ctmom

ctmom Approved members

all mentioned

My son drinks all that has been mentioned! I have to say that I am fearful of all the diet drinks but hey how I would love to be able to offer him juice but reality of this disease is we can't (unless he is low). So like most of you- diet soda, lots of crystal lite drinks and flavored water are tops on his list!

17. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

Talking rain
    Vitamin Water
    Lots of water
    Milk
    Juice for lows
    and Soda when camping and eating out. If i have it in the house they drink it until its gone.

18. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Moderation in all things, I say. :) All my kids drink milk or water mostly, and we have juice/kool-ade (although kool-ade has dropped out almost completly since DX) once a week or so. I don't buy soda except on special occasions, mostly because I'm too cheap. lol I'll let him have full sugar soda from time to time. (and I let him watch more than an hour of TV at a time too!)

100% juice is probably more wholesome than other drinks, but really, if she's staying hydrated and getting good nutrition, I don't see the harm in carb-free drinks. If it's 15% juice or less (the rest corn syrup and water and coloring) as many of them are, I'd say a diet drink might be better! Think about it--liquid carbs probably made her spike before D, but you just didn't know it. Now at least she's not getting the spikes because you're more aware.

Water is still important, though. Everything in moderation. :)

HTH!

19. Brookiesworld

Brookiesworld Approved members

Brooke drinks the crystal packets or the sugar free koolaide , the small G2's, she doest care for diet drinks. she was low the other day and drank a small amount of regular soda and she just smiled so big and said "oh that tasted so good" but she hasnt asked for it again.

20. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

That is funny! I break that guidline too..especialy in the summer when I am trying to get something done!

Thanks for the laugh!