- advertisement -

What do YOU want?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mike&Dans.Mom, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

We all want a cure.
    But in the meantime what new technology, insulin or idea would help you the most?

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

A small insulin/CGMS patch which doesn't hurt to put in and you can leave on for months at a time.

And a clone of myself. So my first me can sleep.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think a CGM that replaces fingerpokes would be really big for our kids. It will come, but I suspect we're talking in the neighborhood of 5-10 years.

A CGM that relays real-time readings to my phone would be heavenly. I don't understand why we can't have that now.

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I love the smart insulin idea, turns itself off when bg goes below a certain point. Then diabetes would just be hard because you'd need to take a shot or two each day, but you wouldn't have to worry about highs, lows, complications, dka, seizures, all that, as long as you got that shot.

I could live with that.:cwds:

Great question, btw.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

The closed loop system while we're waiting for that cure.. to be able to get her readings on my phone, replace figure pokes, insulin that can better match food..

6. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

A pharmacy that can interpret prescriptions. :) Just saying.....

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

A Smart Chip that could be implanted under the skin that would monitor glucose levels. You would have a small hand held scanner that you would hold over the chip site and get instantaneous bg readings, eliminating the need for finger pokes.

8. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

I would love this!

I hate digging in ds's pump pouch to see the graph.

9. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

ME TOO!!!

I would also like a lancing device/monitor that are connected. The accu-check something or other has this but it is way too big for a teenagers pocket.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I want smart insulin. Absolutely the BEST D development going on at the moment, if you ask me (if it lives up to the hype). It's not the shots part of D that bothers me.. It's all the rest.

11. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

And an insurance company that will approve (and pay for) them as written by the doctor!

12. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Dr. Damiano's Artificial Pancreas.

13. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

I would like a CGMS that didn't have to pierce the skin. Pretty please?

14. Ali

Ali Approved members

Smart insulin #1. Artificial pancreas #2. Cures with medications for the complications#3. Ali

15. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

we are hanging out for this and I really want to know how the trials are going. Ivan asks once a week if they've got it ready yet. I would also like something like a patch that gave BG readings - no more finger pricks.

16. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Accurate carb counts on all food and drinks, everywhere they can be purchased (school cafeteria, stores, restaurants, etc.). Everything would have a little bar code that could be swiped with an infared beam for an instant upload to a blood glucose meter (or other applicable device).

There would be a touch screen so you could adjust the serving size with an up/down arrow. The device would then tally up the total carbs consumed, add applicable sliding scale and I:C ratio to come up with amount of insulin to give.

Something like that.... I'd be happy at this point to have that feature on pre-packaged foods with food labels that already exist. Just link that same bar code to nutritional information that can be uploaded to the meter. You'd have an option of which data you always want to retrieve set to the special needs of your child (diabetes, allergies, etc.).

Swipe bar code. Beep (to let you know it's been entered). Screen now says: 20 total carbs for 55 pieces. Blinking cursor with ? on the screen appears. How many pieces did you eat? Up/Down arrow from 55. Press enter. "Add more? - blinking cursor". Yes/No. Press "Complete" button when you're done eating to calculate insulin dosage.

17. KHM

KHM Approved members

I'd like for pump and CGMS devices and insets to be less robotic in appearance. Smart insulin. But I'd totally settle for Medtronic to make at least one alert that is REALLY loud for night time. We're all so tired we sleep through earthquakes (not kidding).

18. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

To be able to have my pancreas transplanted into London so I would have the Diabetes and not him.

19. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Smart insulin

Accurate CGM without giant needles, without large transitter, or fingersticks

20. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

A cure first, if not diabetes software hat looks at your meter, pump, and CGM download and suggests changes.