- advertisement -

What do you use on your curly hair?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by denise3099, Jul 21, 2011.

1. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I'm hispanic and have long curly medium course hair. I used Wen and it was good but too expenisive. I'm trying the knockoff now, Lisa Rachel, but it's not as good. What do you guys use?

2. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I wish I had hair like yours.....I have a friend who has naturally curly hair - she quit using shampoo altogether and just uses conditioner - she uses it like shampoo. Her hair always looks great and is never frizzy.

3. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I tried that once and it didn't work for me.... I think maybe it depends on the conditioner you choose but my hair just got increasingly gummy and gross.

As I've gotten older though my hair is more wavy than curly.. for the most part I wash it every other day and leave it alone.. I do a deep conditioning once a week. I don't even blow dry it - for me blow drying seemed to be the root of most of my frizzies.

4. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

I have curly hair, too...I use Garnier Fructis' leave in conditioner, the sleek and smooth one...and then I use the curl cream...it doesn't make my hair crunchy...but I have to wash my hair daily, or at least wet it to reactivate my curls.

I'm really interested in the new Brazillian Blowout, the one that doesn't use the Formaldehyde and isn't permanent, so you don't have the issue with grow out, but it's ridiculously expensive, because it's so new. I'm hoping in a year or two it'll be the same price as a perm.

5. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I have really curly hair and right now I straighten it because of the way it's cut. But when it's long and I leave it curly I have found I actually like cheaper stuff better than salon stuff for the most part. I have tried Redken's curly line of products and they were OK but I really honestly got better results from the Tresseme curly hair line I got at Walmart.

Curly hair has less of the natural oils that straight hair has, so you should only wash it every 2-3 days to keep it from drying out. When you condition your hair,run a wide tooth comb through it,then rinse with cooler water not hot (that goes for all hair actually). Don't towel dry it, but pat/blot it with the towel instead, and don't brush it, but rather run your fingers through it.:)

6. Kelly.Marie

Kelly.Marie Approved members

I have hispanic coarse, curly long hair too and I LOVE the Garnier products.

7. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

I have naturally curly hair, too, and my hair gets VERY dry if I don't condition every day. I only use shampoo once or twice a week, but i condition every single day. I use Avon's Lotus Shield - it is a new anti-frizz product and I LOVE it!! I use to use Frizz-Ease, but I didn't like how oily it was - Lotus Shield is actually a creme. I still use Frizz-Ease curl-defining gel. I blow dry with a diffuser just until it is damp, then let it air-dry the rest of the way.

8. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

When a discounted blowout came across our Living Social deals, I snatched it up, eager to try. It's been fun having a different look, but I don't think I'd do it again. But I figured with the price cut, it was a great time to try, especially during summer! My treatment should last 6-8 weeks before fading out. It's been over a month now... we'll see what it's like going back to curly hair!

9. denise3099

I once did the japanese hair straightening. Brother, that was some straight hair. I thought it was going to be wash and go, straight and silky. But instead i had to blow it out and straight iron to smooth and turn the ends. It looked awesome but it was too hard. So I had to let it grow totally out--not pretty. Now it's long and all curly. And i'm trying to make the best of it.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

My hair isn't fully curly, it's that wavy frizzy mess in between... but definitely way closer to curly than straight.

Right now I'm not using anything extra, I wash and condition with Herbal Essences "Beautiful Ends". Not designed specifically for curly hair, but it seems to work best for me right now! I brush my hair when it's soaking wet and then let it dry naturally. If I ever brush it when it's dry, it's a complete disaster.

If I let it dry completely from soaking wet, generally there isn't too much frizz. I haven't found a product yet which can tame the frizz even more without making my hair either greasy or kind of.. crispy. :p

11. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Deva Curl has CHANGED MY LIFE. http://www.mydevacurl.com/

It looks like their website is under construction but still provides some info.

I am also one of those people who rarely use shampoo and I can now get 3 days out of my curls without them looking gross.

12. denise3099

You know, I read Curly Girl and followed the instructions of not combing and just scrunching my hiar and not wrapping in a towel but just sdcrunching with a towel. Brother my haif was CURLY. :eek: Like not tendrils, but circles, like 1982 Jeri curl. It looked permed. too much for me. The woman's hair is gorgous but that was way to curly for me.

13. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

One thing you can do in that case, while it is still wet put straightening creme in it, and comb it through with a large tooth comb, air dry. It will soften the curls better than some cremes that are meant for curls.

14. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I have curly and use Aussie Moist, and sometimes Aussie Cleanse and Mend. I have an unusual combo of curly and oily hair. Aussie is the only shampoo I've found that keeps my hair from getting too oily, too fast.

15. twintype1s

twintype1s Approved members

I've been using A/G ReCoil lately and really, really love it, but it's expensive. My local beauty supply shop has their annual liter sale right now, so I just got 6 liters of conditioner and 2 shampoos for $12 each--usually $48 each. Score! I only shampoo about twice a week but condition every day too, and my hair just sucks up the conditioner. I figure this should last me thru the end of the year at least.

16. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

I have naturally curly/wavy/frizzy hair but am lucky to be able to blow it out pretty straight if I take the time. Either way, I SWEAR by Moroccan Oil. Not the knock offs, but the original. Sold at salons in a brown glass bottle with an aqua colored label. Best stuff ever.

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes, it's good stuff ;) I just wish they'd package it a bit better- I went back for a bit more and the bottle slipped out of my hand and ... Moroccan oil everywhere! :rolleyes: