- advertisement -

What do you use for lows???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SusieW, Dec 31, 2011.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'll have to try them out! It's just something I've never really considered doing, but perhaps it would work for me. They're tasty if I remember correctly. :p

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

For when I'm walking/running long distance, I sometimes put a few ounces of juice (or soda) in a water bottle, fill the rest of the water bottle with water, and drink as I go. Or sometimes I fill the water bottle with soymilk instead.
    I do use fruit for when I'm low-ish. I use things like plums, kiwis, apricots, nectarines, dates, grapes, etc. But for real lows, I use candy. My preference is soft mints.

3. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Sour Patch Kids and Starburst are our arsenal of choice currently. Marshmallows have always been overnight - easy to chew. I just verify when she is done chewing that she has actually SWALLOWED. Don't need to add that to my overnight worries!

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We're boring. We use tabs for lows, sometimes juice, and for keeping up BGs hovering at the low end of range, some chocolate milk.

5. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Juice is too slow for those stubborn lows. Try liquid or gel Dex to get out of the low range. I then give my daughter Carnation Instant Breakfast as she can just sip it through a straw while almost sleeping and it hangs around a long time as it has lots of protein, fat and carbs.

I also think a bedtime snack is essential when those kinds of lows are happening.

6. SusieW

SusieW Approved members

Thanks for all of the ideas... the most important thing I learned here was that we should find something that works faster than juice!! Why did this not occur to me before, since we wait 30 minutes for juice to work???
    Oh well... moving on! :)

7. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Because the instructions from the hospitals tell us to use juice, because the kids hate glucose tabs when they are younger, because the kids miss having juice whenever they feel like it...I just found out about juice being too slow at the CWD conference this past August, so please don't feel you are the only one.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think that this is confusing the speed with which the juice hits, and the longevity of a juice induced rise in bg. We find apple juice to be almost as fast as tabs ( and she never disliked raspberry tabs even when little) but obviously neither juice or tabs is sufficient to bring up and sustain bgs for a bad overnight low. The problem is you cannot always know if you are looking at a 2 AM bg of 83 that is in fact a persistent "bad" low or if it's milder sort. Generally, unless I know that it's a sports induced low, I'll give a juice, check again in 20 min and if I need to treat again I'll give choc milk or better still take her basal down a bit for a few hours.

9. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Gary Sheiner does not have juice listed at all as a treatment for lows and I was referring to his speech at the CWD conference. It is fine for an 83, but we were talking about the lows that need 6 or 8 juice boxes, not one.

10. khannen

khannen Approved members

We use a whole variety of things depending on how quickly she is dropping and activity level. My go-to choice overnight is a juice box as she can suck that thing down in her sleep. It kicks in really quickly for her but won't last long if it's one of those sustained stubborn lows.

We use small single sized pieces of candy often when she needs a little extra boost. Other common choices here are yogurt, bananas, grapes, granola bars, and cereal bars. She has never liked the glucose tabs and gagged on them the few times we tried.

I saw several people mention milk. I've never had luck with that, unless chocolate. Do all the types typically help? I know the fat levels are different obviously.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Yes, but an 83 can be one of those persistent lows. You catch it there, treat it and test again to find that it's now 71, treat that and it's 68 ... To my mind that's exactly what a 6 juice box low looks like and the sad thing is that you can't see that from just the initial bg number so it turns into a 6 juice box low rather than a few tabs followed by something more substantial. I think we can all agree that no one benefits from a 6 juice box treatment - it's always better to treat it appropriately in the first place and then move on, but without a cgm it can be difficult to know when to move from fast carbs ( and for many, juice is, in fact, fast) to slower things like the breakfast drink you mentioned before.

12. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

I don't want to argue with you here, but we are not talking about 83's and 68's here. I am referring to a 30 that a juice and 15 minutes later is a 25 and 15 minutes later is 27, etc. and finally after 150 carbs total is at 90 and I could give 20 grams of the Carnation Instant Breakfast. My guess is you have not experienced one of these lows. The 6 to 8 juice boxes were not overkill and she did not spike up from the juice boxes. I think they kept her alive.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

You have no idea what sort of lows I've dealt with.

I have absolutely no interest in carrying this on. The op asked how others treat lows, I responded. I'm glad you have your carnation instant breakfast, it obviously works for you. Mazel.

14. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I totally agree with you here.. we've had some very scary lows that weren't extremely low but rolling eyes, slurred speech, complete confusion, multiple juiceboxes, snacks, gummies, close tabs and gel didn't do much of anything except to keep her from passing out. But we've also had lows in the lower 20s where she was 'fine' and a juice box and a snack delt with it. I believe of lot has to do what is active. Fighting active insulin is absolutely horrible. Fighting a low where absorbtion that just isn't happening due to gluten exposure results in either mini glucagon or glucose that willstart absorbing in the mouth (glucose tabs, smarties, gel, lollies etc) juice boxes you might as well just dump down the drain.

When we first treat a low we stay away from anything that will slow absorbtion down (chocolate, milk, or anything with protein) and go straight for glucose, in its simpliest form.

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We don't use this particular brand, but we do use the squeeze applesauces during the day. Sometimes I can get her to have one at night too.
    My daughter HATES glucose, so at night we generally use fruit chews (I use the Annies organic lest artificial stuff) and lately we've been using the Archer Farms (Target) fruit leathers. Those are 16g and bring her up nicely. Also, they are flat, so they fit into her meter case nicely.

Lately, we've been avoiding the candy but I will use it in a pinch(smarties). Fruit leathers are her choice right now. We also use juice or Danimals, jello with sugar. Fruit. For a big low, we will just go straight to juice or even glucose gel. I like the gels because we don't use them often and she likes them, and will suck them down. Sometimes with juice, when she's low, she will put up a fight. Then we will follow up with a protein.

16. Beach bum

In a situation like this, would you have considered doing a mini dose of glucagon? My daughter, if this was during the night, would have fought me tooth and nail to have had to drink that much juice. She gets combative about drinking juice at night (never in the past though). When I talked to our doc about this, she said in a low chasing situation, mini glucagon may be the solution.

17. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

Sarah's daughter has been diagnosed 9 years according to her signature. My guess is that they have had plenty of those lows. :rolleyes:

We use juice for most lows. It's plenty quick for us. And my son will simply not use that Dex gel stuff. It's nasty.

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

Dude...9 YEARS of diabetes pretty much means she has seen every freakin thing under the sun in regards to T1...give some respect.

19. Beach bum

We really need a like button here.

20. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We use fruit leathers too.. I try to use things that have some sort of nutritional value to it when I can, sometimes the low gets to the emotions and all she wants is cccaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnddddddddyyyyy because she HATES everything else. :rolleyes:

At night we use juice because she can suck those babies down in 2.9 sec in her sleep.... during the day however, it could take her 10min to drink a 4oz juice, go figure. :cool: