- advertisement -

What Do You Think When You See These Stories on the News?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Turtle1605, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I'm fairly new at this. I was wondering about your thoughts about this particular story on NBC news. It's about the two cancer drugs that seems to have cured type 1 in mice. You'll have to copy and paste...and I hope it works.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/27774926#27774926

Do you get excited when you see these stories? Is this story any different than others you've seen? I ask this because I'm getting a little bit bored and disappointed with all of the mice cures and I'm just wondering what in a story would really make you sit up and take notice. I guess it is kind of my determination that they we will win against this beast! I do like the fact they are drugs we already use so they can move to clinical trials in humans a little faster.

2. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Mice have been cured many times in the past. I won't hold my breath, but I do know Jeffrey Bluestone has a vested interest in finding the cure--has family members with type 1.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If after a bit more than a year you are getting "bored" by stories about research into possible cures for Type 1 then perhaps you should just ignore them.:rolleyes:

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I think that mice whose diabetes was created by researchers are entirely different from humans whose diabetes wasn't.

I get a little excited about the treatment options that don't depend on reversing the diabete pathway created about researchers- I am interested in the islet transplant and bone marrow transplant stuff and I had hopes for smartsulin. But stuff that reverses type 1 diabetes in mice doesn't interest me because it depends on the diabetes being caused in a specific way that mine wasn't.

So how do I feel when I see this stuff? A little curious, but mostly annoyed. I'm gonna hear all about it from well meaning people when it's gonna have little to no relevance to my life. Also, poor mice.

5. natallia

natallia Approved members

I used to get excited about these stories, now it's like: meh, ... this is a multi billion dollar industry with millions of jobs, why would they want a cure? As long as there is money in it or unless some billionaire's (with not only a lot of money but also lots of political power) kid will get type 1, I say we will only see better, more sophisticated gadgets to manage type 1 diabetes, Not a cure. Sorry for not sounding more optimistic...;)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  6. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

This is exactly how I feel.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think comments like this do a disservice to all the men and women who are working hard everyday to find a cure for all types of diseases, not just diabetes.

To the OP, I don't get excited when I see stories like this, as it is nothing new. But I do feel happy for all the mice parents whose little mice children are cured. ;)

8. rulestein

rulestein Approved members

Thank you for posting this article. I enjoy these research studies as someone who has dealt with an autoimmune disease my whole life. The first thing that came to mind when I heard my daughter has an autoimmune disease is, how do we treat the underlying auto immune disease rather than manage the symptoms?

Most autoimmune disease treatments do target the immune system. Current diabetes treatment does not and that is because the pancreas is already damaged beyond repair by the time the disease is diagnosed. Look also at studies with rituximab and diabetes. It has been tested with humans! The rituximab treatment was given to patients who were freshly diagnosed and so still had some working islets left. The rituximab did delay the onset of T1D, but all patients did end up with full T1D.

I will say the news story is a bit misleading. They used sunitinab and imatinib to delay the onset of full T1D in mice who still had working islets in much the same way the rituximab does. A cure for T1D is misleading because for most patients, regrowth of the damaged islets would have to happen first. Stem cells anyone? That is a long way off.

I agree that it is a disservice to those involved to say they don't care about a cure. Tell that to a cancer patient who was treated successfully with these drugs.

9. natallia

That's not what I meant at all. While I admire Dr. Faustman for being a true altruist working hard on a cure, my comment was obviously directed to drug companies and politicians. It is Dr. Faustman who said when she approached leading insulin companies to fund her research based on a very promising and very inexpensive tuberculosis vaccine, she was bluntly turned down with a simple explanation: there is no money in it.

10. Christopher

Who do you think works at pharmaceutical companies? Dedicated men and women searching for a cure for diseases like diabetes and cancer.

11. natallia

Sorry, Christopher, I seriously doubt that....;)

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Guess who also denied Dr Faustman funding AND slammed her in the press? None other than JDRF. Let's not leave that out, shall we?

13. natallia

thats terrible...

14. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I completely agree, I have several friends who work for pharmaceutical companies and their goals aren't for making more medicine but rather curing the very diseases that the companies treat. Vaccinations for eradicating diseases, simple once a year shots to re-train the immune system...etc. Often the money charged by these companies is what allows phD's to do their research to find answers, answers for cures.
    So, no to the original post do I get excited - nope I don't give a ton of hope to all the cured mice articles. I, along with my husband, choose places to send money where their goals are greater than technological improvements...but along the way we keep our ears open to what is going on so that we make educated choices about where to send our money.

15. swellman

swellman Approved members

I still get excited every time I hear about it. I don't build up a lot of hope but I do still get excited.

I honestly cannot understand the level of jaded or despair someone must feel to truly feel that there's no one working towards a cure for diseases like diabetes and cancer. Even knowing that real people go to work every day with the directive and funding to do just that. It honestly and truly boggles my mind - that level of conspiracy belief.

16. Christopher

Are you speaking from direct experience or just assumptions?

I have worked in the pharmaceutical/healthcare industry for over 20 years. I know for a fact that there are smart, dedicated, conscientious men and women working very hard trying to find cures for diseases and to try and save and sustain patients lives.

I am sure there are greedy people/companies that are less altruistic than the people I have worked with. And I do understand why some people have a negative/conspiracy based view of healthcare companies. But I still respectfully stand by my comments that your posts are disrespectful to the hard work and good intentions of those people.

17. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I'm not quite as pessimistic as this, but I don't get too excited about research only done in mice. As someone here once said, "does my son look like a mouse?" There are many things they can do in mice that just don't translate to the human body. Unfortunately.

To the OP:
    Honestly....I am not expecting anyone to be able to cure type 1, at least not in my lifetime or DS's (aside from a pancreas transplant, which in that case, the cure can be worse than the treatment). I'm glad there are people and companies out there working on ways to make life with D better (and I don't mind that they make a good living doing it). I don't think people would be so harsh as to withhold a cure because they make more money on the treatments...perhaps I sound naive; I am sure there are those out there who would withhold a cure, but for the most part, people are above that. Enough people have been touched by diseases in a personal way that they wouldn't stop a cure from being given out no matter the money situation of it all. There's lots of money in treatments, but there's also lots of money in cures.

But I digress. From what I know about the body, and about Type 1, I just don't think a cure is out there to be found. I don't see it as being despairing or overly pessimistic, just looking truthfully at the way things are. You can't regrow a hand if it gets cut off, and you can't bring a 'dead' pancreas back to life, especially if it was caused by the body attacking itself. I hope I'm wrong, for the sake of other people and their T1D children, but have accepted D as a part of our life that is here to stay. And DS is fine with that, thankfully. (hopefully he'll still be fine with that when he's 15, lol.) We're grateful to have the treatments we have.

I don't have enough emotional energy to go on the roller coaster ride of watching people find possible cures, then find that they don't work after all. For me it's not about waiting for a cure, it's about accepting life for what it is and being grateful for what we do have. Obvously if a cure is found we'll take advantage of it, but until then I can be happy with the life that I have.

Good post.

18. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Thanks for posting as I had not seen this report. I am interested in these stories and do get a little excited by them. I'm not sure this one is that different from others I've seen. I take hope in the fact that there are a number of researchers taking a variety of approaches--those that involve a "cure" or remission of the autoimmune condition, as well as those that involve an islet cell transplant, smart insulin, or an artificial pancreas.

19. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I guess one good thing is that when Type 1 Diabetes gets precious airtime on the NBC evening news...it's a win, win. We are getting information and we get reassurance that the world won't forget it exists! We all know how powerful the media is.