- advertisement -

What do you think happened...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by julymoon99, Jan 29, 2008.

1. julymoon99

julymoon99 Approved members

We just started pumping 11/07 and luckily have only had one bad sight. Until today that is...I was bolusing DD for lunch and got a blockage detected alarm at almost the end of the bolus. I disconnected the site and there was a quite a large drop of insulin on the needle. I primed the line to make sure there were no bubbles in the line and then reconnected. I resumed the bolus and it finished without another alarm. I waited about an hour and checked her BG and it was elevated so to be on the safe side I went ahead and changed the site. What do you think happened? Air bubbles or what? :confused:

2. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Hard to say. Was her bg a lot elevated or a little? Remember a high bg an hour after lunch is expected -- it take 3-4 hours for the bolus to finish working. Also, you might have lost a bit of the bolus when you disconnected partway through. Or... maybe she just went went higher than usual after lunch because of what she ate or her activity level or who knows what.

I probably would have tried a correction before changing the site, unless it was so high there was obviously something wrong. But I know that sometimes you don't want to play that guessing game, you just want to take care of all possibilities and get back on track asap!

3. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Glad to see you around Stacy, or you've been around and not posted.

Do you use Humalog or Novolog? I've heard that Humalog clogs the pump easier- not to say that happens for everyone. I wouldn't think air would give a blockage alarm. Do you still have the tubing? Check out the line for crystallized insulin.

4. julymoon99

Her BG was 283. I definitely did not want to play the guessing game :) On a side note when I took the old site out there was not a kink.

5. julymoon99

Hi Lanae,

I have been around but just not posted lately. We use Novolog. I do not notice any crystalized insulin in the tubing. The weird thing about it is we just did her site change this morning so this happened pretty quickly.

6. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Strange. Sorry we're not Cosmo users so I feel I'm not much help. Maybe others will chime in about when they get blockage alarms.
    If it happens again, I would call Cosmo.

7. momofsingingdiabetic

momofsingingdiabetic Approved members

We've had a few with Danielle. Normally we change out her site if we get a second alarm. Normally, it is kinked (we use the Quicksets). I've also had a few times I've had to reload her insulin cartridge.

8. skimom

skimom Approved members

blockage alarms on cozmo pump -1) try extending the delivery time for insulin boluses (say to 4 or five minutes - sometimes if you are delivering a bigger bolus over a short time you will get pressure problems) This has solved the majority of issues.
    2 )CHECK TUBING WHERE IT JOINS PUMP!!!! We have had kinks there.-
    3)check for air bubbles in tubing and reprime
    4) check there are no bubbles in insulin cartridge
    5) change site

9. julymoon99

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!

10. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Let me guess -- are you using the Cleos? The Cleos have MAJOR blockage issues. We have problems with them only on day 3, we get 2 days always with no problem. The blockage comes from where the luer lock connects to the insulin cartridge, for some reason it just clogs there.

If I ever get a blockage error, here's what I do (which is what Cozmo support told me to do). Go ahead and change the site. Even if it's in the middle of a bolus. After you change the site, it will say something like bolus interrupted, do you want to complete the bolus? You say, YES. If it doesn't say that, you can go into the complete history and get how much of the bolus it actually gave -- if it says it gave part of the bolus -- go with that number, it is accurate.

Well maybe you aren't even using the cleos -- I just had to chime in because we've had those problems a lot before.

11. Mom2Madi

Mom2Madi Guest

We don't use Cosmo - but in 18 mths I've only had a blockage alarm one time with the Animas. Our pump rep helped me figure out what happened - I'd put her site too low and when she leaned back she was leaning on the edge of the end of it on her chair. I never put them that low anymore and I also went in and changed the sensitivity of the blockages from high to low. Never happened again.

12. julymoon99

We use the inset. We have loved them so far but it just baffled me as to what could have caused the alarm.