- advertisement -

What do you send to school for CWD birthday?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

Clementines and fancy napkins--low carb, healthy, and (in my experience) allergy free and appreciated by both teachers and students.

2. Eminemsmom

Eminemsmom Approved members

I don't know if your CWD would consider this a treat, but back when we brought things to school for b-days and parties I would always make sugar-free jello jigglers. (I had every shape cookie cutter you can imagine). It always seemed a hit with the kids and the teachers said it was no messier than a cupcake. Make sure you make them thick, though - otherwise they break and become messy.

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I ment cupcakes verses an entire cake. In that respect cupcakes are easier and prefererd by the teachers (when they did the cake thing). And our floors are carpeted and vaccumed every night. :)

4. kyle and ryans mom

kyle and ryans mom Approved members

We bring cupcakes, same as before diabetes.

5. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I made cake pops this year and mini dirt pudding cups with sugar free gummie worms in them. I let my son choose the treat, it's his day:)

6. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

If you can bring home-made stuff, Rice Krispie treats are fun. (Hate the pre-made ones though!)

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My mom used to make these for me! She would get fancy and even layer them, so they were two colors:) All the kids thought they were the bomb!
    One nice thing about these is that hardly anyone is allergic to jello.

8. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Didn't read the other replies...but I would just send whatever your child asks for or you want to send. Inform the nurse or whoever does boluses at school of the carb count, and bolus accordingly.

My kids' school has stopped celebrating birthdays and other holidays with food treats, thank God! Not because my son has D, but because it seemed like twice a week or more my kids were eating brownies, or cupcakes, or cookies in addition to the small treat I'd put in their lunch...it was crazy. But, for the couple of years we did have to deal with the food treat, Daniel could have anything he wanted, just like any other kid, for his birthday treat. Why not.:p

9. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I used to send all kinds of things when my kids were younger. Food, pencils, even those little motel bars of soap one year. The kids loved it.