advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do with the Test Strip Canisters?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MissMadisonsMom, Jun 8, 2008.

1. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

I am looking for some innovative and creative uses for all of the test strip cannisters. I just hate to get rid of them. Do any of you have some fun uses for them?

2. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

Ive tried to think of something to do with them too but I end up tossing them. I dont want the boys to play with them and get the impression they can play with them all the time and one day find test strips all over! :eek:

3. ADHDiabetic Mom

ADHDiabetic Mom Approved members

If you can't find a use for them, someone certainly can. I'd offer something like that up on the local FreeCycle list. You'll probably have more creative people asking for them than you have canisters to give!

4. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I've heard of making hummingbird feeders from insulin bottles.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

At Purim (Jewish holiday) my brother used a couple as noise makers- put a bean or two inside and shake. Mostly I just throw them away.

6. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

You can put a small needle and thread of different colors in them, put them in your glove box for a mini sewing kit.

I also use them for my pins, needles or safety pins.

Also, I use the empty ones for fishing. I put hooks, sinkers, and the such in them.

I also use the canisters for games. Tape a number, color, small picture in the canister (do not just put in canister as it rattles). do a guessing game with who has what in theirs. Possible use them at a carnival, like the duck game.

They make great 15 carb emergency kit. Jelly beans, smarties and the such.

These are just a few ideas. I really dont throw these away.

Christopher likes this.
  7. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

My sister is a Kindegarden teacher so I save them for her. She tosses them in her craft box.

My kids also play with them, stash treasures in them, put coins in them, use them to send secret messages for their HSP (homeschool spy agency) - lol.

8. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

We've used them to make a robot, along with other discarded supplies. We called him Can Man, and he was made from the canisters, caps from the Cleo, the end of the tubing, etc. I can't find my photo right now, but when I do I'll post a pic.

9. usbornetheresa

usbornetheresa Approved members

I just toss them into the recycle bin.

10. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I work at a school . . . they make great top hats for miniature snow men!!! :)

11. bisous

bisous Approved members

I've always wanted to (but haven't yet!) turn them into sensory exploration a la the Montessori method. I've seen little canisters that resemble test strip canisters that are filled with various scents, colors, weights, or things that make sounds. I've always thought that would be a cool way to reuse. Sadly, I haven't done this yet and instead have thrown SO many away. I mean, I use like 7 canisters a month!

12. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I have some that I've put 3-4 gluc tabs in and stashed around the place :cwds:

Heather(CA) likes this.
  13. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

We saved ours for a really long time. We had every intention of selling them on ebay as micro geocache containers. We never did anything with them and eventually just pitched them.

14. Ashti

Ashti Approved members

Us too.

We also use ours for glucose tablets and stash them everywhere.

The Accuchek-Aviva canisters hold 6 glucose tablets. I wrap masking tape around the container and label Glucose with marker. I put them in her gym bag, in the glove compartment, in my purse, in the back pack, and whenever I need a new one, voila, seems we have gone through another batch of test strips.

Ashti :)

15. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

I can't remember where I saw this idea but I read of someone who filled them with quarters and sent them to camp for easily available small amounts of money.

16. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

i have no clue what to do with the cannisters, but Jesse just filled a 2 liter soda bottle with test strips.. Its very heavy and completely full- took him 2 years to do it.
    Now he's on bottle # 2...
    I told him I'm giving them to his wife as a wedding present...:D

17. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I use them to store my toenail clippings.:p

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

And the orange syringe caps make great carrot noses :D

19. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

Im always looking at them trying to think of something to do with them too. I like the idea of using them for glucose tabs. We normally buy the tubes, but the next time I see them Im going to grab a big bottle of them.

20. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Good idea!!! I'm going to go see if they fit in ours:D