- advertisement -

What Do You Do If They Refuse To Wear Medical ID?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Schleprock, Jan 8, 2009.

1. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

NO choice. If he were mine, he would not leave the house until wearing one. No games, friends, etc
    Just not a choice in our house although I know many others feel differently.
    My doc wants me to get one now for my migraines( they make me pass out with no warning) and I am going to be responsible and do it but mainly for my daughters sake.
    Good luck,
    Allene

2. Andrews mom

Andrews mom Approved members

I am the only person going against the grain here but thats ok! I do not make Andrew wear one. He doesnt want too and I dont make him. I feel as though I make him do enough things and its really the only thing he complains about so I let it go. I definitely get the importance of it but he feels as though its another thing that "labels" him and I get that and respect that. I do see about the car accidents, etc but now its just not something I will push on him.
    Good luck! :p I think its a very personal decision for you and your family.

3. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Daniel also very rarley wears one, he will occasionally and I try to encoruage it - I know several EMT's here in Tennessee and they all said that they don't look for them - if the person has symptoms of lows ( or drinking) they test the blood sugar - I do know they do this as my BIL was in a motorcycle wreck and they checked his blood sugar since he was disoriented and he is not Diabetic. I do want him to wear one but I have not forced the issue yet - that may change when he is driving - I will have quite a bit of leverage then.

4. ianmom

ianmom Approved members

Ian does not wear one. I have thought about labeling the pump as to what it is. (Type 1 Diabetes-Insulin Pump) I think an EMT would find it.

5. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

The emergency room probably would. Unless your child wears the pump on the outside all of the time and it doesn't get detached from him during an accident and you mark it is a super super bright color, I doubt an emt would see it and I KNOW that I had never seen a pump before my daughter was dx and if I had I would probably think it was a pager of some kind. :eek:

I am just trying to be honest. In a perfect world everyone would know but we don't live in a perfect world. EMT's save lives, they stabilize and transport to hospitals where the hospital do all of the nitty gritty strip em down and cut em open sort of stuff :eek: An EMT has to know how to treat THOUSANDS of medical conditions and unfortunately the emt books I read all glossed over type 1 and focused on type 2. Sorry :(

6. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Look at imtiredonline.com
    the bracelets say "diabetes" on the top in bold letters. The sides say "I'm tired of". They are made of recycled tires and metals. $5 of the $10 bracelets are donated back to a cure. It's the ONLY bracelet my tomboy daughter will wear, and though not a true medic alert, it's something that would cue a medical professional (hopefully along with an insulin pump!)

7. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

I have two D kids and it is not negotiable. My 15 yr old wears his without even a thought and if he has to take it off for a sport or performance it goes right back on (with him remembering to do it) as soon as he is able. My dd rarely takes it off...