- advertisement -

what do u put on infusion sites

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shilpi235, Dec 17, 2009.

1. shilpi235

shilpi235 Approved members

do you all put anything to make the infusion site heal better and fast..like any cream or neosporin? or you just leave the site to heal on its own??
    i am confused as to what is better,to leave it like that or to put something on it??

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we just leave ours alone. IMO, the less the better. :) Everyone is different though.

3. Andrew's Mom

Andrew's Mom Approved members

We don't do anything unless it looks red then a little antibiotic cream. If we get a bleeder I'll put a band-aid.

4. MichS

MichS Approved members

We don't do anything. We rotate sites (belly left, bum right, belly right, bum left), and assuming 3 days per site (sometimes 4) then it is 9-12 days until that area sees another infusion site. And we can almost always never see where it was the last time. Thankfully we haven't had any issues.

I'd like to get ds to use thigh, but he's not interested.

5. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Funny you should ask b/c at first when I saw all those little holes I was smearing bio oil on them to help with any scarring. And I will put neosporin on a paper cut. But after a while, well, there are just so many. I just leave them alone. They go away.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

They do go away after about a month...we leaves our alone to.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We don't do anything unless they are bothering Jack. Then a Hello Kitty (ya wanna make something of it?) band-aid seems to work like a charm. ;)

8. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Ava is such a skinny minnie, we've only had luck with her bottom. Poor kid is starting to look like a pin cushion. So now I put neosporin and a bandaide. Not sure if it's helping. I'm thinking of getting some scar cream.

9. Toni

Toni Banned

I wipe with alcohol pad if she is not taking a shower because I am paranoid, then put Bacitracin on it. Sis also likes to put Vitamin E oil (squeezed from the capsules) on them later on. I would love to trial Aloe Vera from the plant but haven't seen the Aloe Vera plants around.

10. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

We don't do anything with them, but I'm thinking we should - dd's bum looks like a minefield. I'm told that Bag Balm works wonders - a friend of mine slathers her son's bum in it daily and said it helps his sites heal faster and better.

11. 22jules

22jules Approved members

We apply bag balm or aquaphor after bath to areas that were past sites--seems to help.:)

12. shilpi235

shilpi235 Approved members

my daughter too is very skinny..i am worried as to where do all i move in her bottom.i have to leave her sitting bottom so that she doesn't have problem sitting.thats why wanting to know if we can help the bottoms heal fast as we don't have any other area for infusions.

13. candise

candise Approved members

Bactroban and a bandaid everytime- no scars yet.

14. lynn

lynn Approved members

I used to put antibiotic ointment on every time. It made me uneasy because my mother can no longer use most antibiotic ointments because of overuse. She developed allergies to them.

We use nothing now and I don't see a difference in the healing or scarring from before. I do use a little ointment if it looks red or is oozy. That, to me, is the appropriate time to use it.

15. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I dont use anything on it either (yet) have not had a need too..however, if I thought it looked infected or getting there I would use Neosporin and keep an eye on it..and not use that spot til it healed..(probably exactly what you are doing now)

16. GabriellasMom

GabriellasMom Approved members

We use neosporin and a bandaide and we apply medera scar cream to older sites twice a day.

17. Zoe'sMom

Zoe'sMom Approved members

I don't put anything specific on the sites themselves, but I make sure the "site real estate" (in our case, thighs and bum) are well hydrated and healthy when not in use, so I make sure they get a daily dose of Glaxal Base (or some other good cream). I find that it generally helps with the healing process.