- advertisement -

What d supplies do you take?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mimi, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Just curious, on an average outing say to the mall for a couple of hours, the library, grocery shopping, a ball game - that type of thing - what diabetes related supplies do you take with you?

I'm not wanting to cause a big debate re: pumping vs MDI. I was just under the impression that pumpers carried more with them than those using MDI (ie: extra infusion sets, stuff like that).

Here's what we take when we are just going to be away from home for a few hours:

meter
    strips
    lancer (multiclix)
    Humalog pen + two pen needles
    small roll of glucotabs

That's it. :cwds:

If we are going to be out at the time of her Lantus shot we throw that in too.

So, care to share what you take with you when you're out for just a couple of hours?

2. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

test kit (meter, lancer, strips)
    novopen
    log book
    extra pen sharps
    glucose tabs, skittles, etc
    granola bar, crackers ("slow" food)
    baby wipes to wash hands
    tissue/napkins for blood on finger or with injection

3. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

dd always carries:
    Freestyle Lt, Multiclix, strips, Glucagon, gluco tabs, crackers, alcohol pads and bandaids in purse.

I carry a syringe when we go out.

*Up until Sept. I carried all that stuff with me for her.

If we will be gone for 6 or more hours -- or are going 2 hours away, or are doing something I would be concerned about the site getting puttled out, I would bring 2 extra sites, 2 skin prep wipes and tegaderm,

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

For a mall trip - meter and glucose tabs.

That's it. Usually it is a freestyle light with a roll of glucose tabs in the outer elastic.

I also assume that any shorter couple hour trip means that if something did go terribly wrong, then we could just as easily return home to resolve the issue.

She does carry an extra set in her bag for school and longer sleepovers, but it is nice becuase she doesn't have to carry needles and insulin.

Thanks for the reminder that she should carry glucogen. I forget to put it in her purse on these day excursions.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee carries her kit (meter, strips, lancet) glucose tabs, glucagon. If we are out longer/over night, she carries a site, alcohol wipes.

We carry FAR less for pumping than we did on MDI.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

For any trip under a day, we bring her two kits:

Test Kit - has meter, at least a dozen test strips, and alcohol swabs.

Insulin Kit - has Apidra, Novolog, NPH, and Lantus and at least 3 or 4 needles.

We always have a few candies around in case of emergencies, but she prefers to treat her oncoming lows (which she tends to feel when she's in the 60s) with apples so she carries a couple of those as well.

7. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

If I'm just going to be out around my home town I just take meter, strips, lancing device, 2 packs of fruit snacks, and sometimes I have a back up Humalog pen in my purse that's probably expired.

8. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

We live in a pretty rural area so there is no just running home quick if we need something so we have a bag that we carry everywhere with us. In it is:

Meter, strips, multiclix
    Extra site and reservoir
    Vial of Novolog
    Syringes just in case
    Fast acting carbs for lows
    Granola bars or cereal bars
    Extra battery for the meter
    Extra battery for the pump
    Connor's cell phone (so when he goes to friends' houses or Awanas he always has it)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

If I'm running across the street to do some grocery shopping, I take the CGMS and some carbs, or just plain some carbs.

If I'm going out for the day- planning to go to both of my jobs and be gone for 12 hours before I get back home - I take the CGMS, meter, test strips, lancing device, carbs, carbs, lots and lots of carbs, Novopen Jr, about 6 needles (kind of a grab and run operation there), if the cartridge is low I take 2 syringes. I also try to make sure I'm wearing my alert bracelet.

Usually, the needles, some of the carbs, and syringes are already in my backpack and I just check to make sure they're there before I go in the morning. Sometimes I leave my meter home but that's really not a great idea.

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

For some reason this made me smile!

11. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Ok, newbie answering..just so you other newbies won't feel freakish!! Now, we do live in the boonies, so a trip to the mall is not only rare, but an hour away, so that's a bad example. For a trip into "town" (said with your best country twang) he'll take just a meter and a pack of tablets, and then insulin with a few syringes in the frio.

For a trip anywhere else (which is most of the time, anywhere else is a good distance) I keep a bag packed at all times that we just toss the meter and insulin into. Packed at all times: enough candy and/or glucose tablets to treat at least 10 lows(lol, I am joking but not by much!)....glucagon, the calorie king, a pack of syringes, extra batteries, money, pbj crackers, a granola bar, probably a pack of nuts....in other words, enough stuff to camp for a weekend and be fine!

We are learning to travel a bit leaner, but I do tend to just grab the bag and go, we normally leave it in the car (grabbing just the meter and glucose).

He does have multiple bags packed for differing situations, his co op bag (weekly classes) is kept stocked with snacks and candy...his football bag has an extra meter and longer lasting snacks along with glucose, etc, etc. We've tried to keep things stocked so that he just has to toss in his insulin and go.

12. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I just take my meter kit and glucose tablets in my hand bag. Thats it.

I think theres stuff for a site change in my car, mostly for when I'm at uni all day. I should probably check :p

13. Megszers

Megszers Approved members

I just have my meter kit + some pen needles, my humalog pen, and will throw my lantus one in if im going to be gone in the evening, and a granola bar or two

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

For any trip in town, meter kit and Skittles.

15. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Meter and airheads or skittles and her dexcom.

16. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

I lost my post..here, I'll try again.

We usually carry her "care bag" with us wherever we go. We have:

- Novopen Jr.
    - Needles (the number varies, depending on whether I've just replenished or not)
    - Her meter. Inside her meter case are the lancet and extra batteries.
    - Extra drums for the lancet.
    - An extra case of test strips
    - Syringes
    - Alcohol Swabs
    - Tissue
    - Calorie King Book
    - Log book, pen
    - iPhone, which has a Diabetes Personal Calculator (for her teacher's use)
    - a calculator
    - gluco-tabs, candy, a 12g carb box of juice, water, a heavier snack (like mini bread or cereal bar)
    - Glucagon
    - one foil-wrapped ketostix
    - band-aids

Sounds like a lot but it all fits in her kindergarten-size backpack.

Oh, and if we're eating out I try to remember to bring the portable scale. The portable Salter is still too big. I got one here that's really small and fits into my purse. But I had to donate it to the school so they could weigh her pizza (which is always different sizes!).

If it's a short trip somewhere near I might just stick her meter in my purse. And I always have gluco-tabs and gluco-gel in my purse.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  17. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

For a short day trip, these are the supplies I take:

- meter (with strips :D)
    - extra meter and pump batteries
    - dextrose tabs
    - cookies
    - water
    - Glucagon

I used to take extra infusion sets and insulin along with the pen-needle, but I stopped doing that.:eek:

18. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We take the same bag wherever we go - over the farm, into town or on holiday so its:

Batteries, spare sets, spare caps, extra lancets, gluc gel, gluc tabs, glucagon , some money, and a few syringes all packed into a Tupperware container
    Meter kit
    More gluc tabs
    Snacks

I only add Insulin and back up meter for the holiday ..

19. Scotty's Mum

Scotty's Mum Approved members

If its just a trip around town then he only takes his meter and glucose tabs.

20. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

if we are going someplace with no food involved.

Tester, juice, crackers uhm tissue and glucose tabs. Its all in Riley's purse.

If we leave for the day or food is involved.

Add
    Novolog
    glucagon
    and ketone strips

cause they are all packed up in the same kit that I carry with me.