- advertisement -

What can happen when a person uses the same injection site for 30 years

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Lee, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Lee

Lee Approved members

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Oh wow. That's a damn good reminder to rotate!

3. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

4. Niaz

Niaz Approved members

5. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

OMG! :eek: DD is pumping in two weeks..you bet we are planning to rotate, but after seeing this I will be super vigilant to rotate! ;)

6. Deal

Deal Approved members

With body art and tattoos being so popular it wouldn't surprise me to see someone trying to do this on purpose for "artistic" reasons.

7. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

It strikes me as more of a reminder of the need to be educated and educate oneself on any chronic condition. I don't understand how he apparently continued to get prescriptions for insulin for three decades without anyone ever having looked at the lumps on his belly?

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

What I always wonder is, if they used to get lipodystrophy with two shots per day, how is rotating my six shots per day going to prevent lipodystrophy?

10. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Bottom line is, it's really not going to stop it, if you are prone to lipodystrophy... you will still build up fat in areas you use for injecting a lot. HOWEVER, if it's well distributed it won't really be that obvious... that guy injected himself in those two spots and nowhere else.

I had an endo accuse me once of absuing my stomach for injection sites becuase of fat deposits and I dragged my then 3 year old daughter in at my next appointment to show her that my fat deposits on my belly are GENETIC (my non-D daughter has them too, as does my mom), not the result of overusing the area as an injection site (I actually rarely use it for infusion sets). I was just never meant to have a completely flat belly, and I'm okay with that ;)

11. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

I have a friend who is a dialysis nurse and she had a patient that injected his insulin in the exact same spot in his one arm for years. Developed gangrene in that location. Oh the horror stories we can tell.
    I have one Doc who says Ben is injecting too much in his belly, and another that says it is fine. He injects in his belly, I inject his arms. In the summer when he is wearing shorts he uses his legs.

Lantusfiend, I think the idea was that the animal insulins contributed more to lipodystrophy.

12. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

When I saw this my first thought was why didn't his doctor notice? Phillip's doctor checks his sites every visit, and tells us to watch out for any lumpiness.

13. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Lipoatrophy in a Girl With Type 1 Diabetes: Beneficial Effects of Treatment With a Glucocorticoid Added to an Insulin Analog

Lipoatrophy in a Girl With Type 1 Diabetes: Beneficial Effects of Treatment With a Glucocorticoid Added to an Insulin Analog

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/3/e22.full