- advertisement -

What camps are your kids attending this summer?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2greatkids, Apr 11, 2011.

1. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Ella is headed back to Camp Merrick.

They didn't let her use the Mulitclix, either and that was the main reason she almost didn't go back.

Anyone have any clue why they refuse this? Her fingers were a mess by the end of the week :(.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

That was an issue for us when we toured Barton. Maddie uses her forearm a lot and they wouldn't allow it.

I think they don't want the kids all carrying around, and misplacing their meters and kits. I understand that it's intended to lift a burden from them while they are at camp, but it smacks of using a monolithic approach to D mgmt which made me uncomfortable.

3. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

We may do Camp Nejeda. We have done family camp 2x and he went alone last year. I think it was a bit long as he was very young, and it is making him hesitant to give me a Yes about this year. We have to pay by 5/1 so he has to make up his mind soon.
    Leslie

4. Shay

Shay New Member

Camp Sweeney

Last year was our first year at Camp Sweeny and I must say my daughter had a blast!!! 3 weeks of education and a lot of fun for the children. The best part was making new friends. I enjoyed the fact that I was able to watch different events on pod cast and see the pictures from their events online the next day the events were completed. This was the first time my daughter who was 8 at the time had ever been away from home(other than relatives homes). The counselors kept in touch during the regular year and this made her excited to go back.

5. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Debate camp. It would do him some good to go to the traditional archery and canoes sort of camp, but he would much rather go where he can spend the time arguing.

6. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Cool! T is going, too. She went last year when she was 5 and loved it! We signed her up again this year and she is very excited. Last year DH drove T to and from Hudson (he was a camp counselor there in the 80's and he wanted to see camp again). This year T will probably take the bus so we'll probably see you!

7. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

Camp Joslin for 2 weeks in July. He's very excited about going again.

8. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

Stephen is going to D Daycamp. It will be his last year as their cutoff age is 11. :( When he is older, he will go back as a counselor for the younger ones.

Then, they both have church camp that is overnight in another state. I usually go every year to that as a counselor/judge so no seperation anxieties for me or him.

Erin has talked about wanting to go to Band camp but I'm not sure about that yet. Weighing all the options for that .....

Plus, they are either participating in or being helpers in VBS too. Lots of fun stuff for them. :)

9. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Well just fly her on down here then! I'll meet her at the airport. We have a young friend that flies here from California and stays with us before and after camp. Then our friends from England stay when they fly their child over for camp. We LOVE having our D friends visit!!

10. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

1 week at Triangle D in IL. First time at an overnight camp. He's worried it will interfere with football tryouts....

11. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

What session is she going to? Katie Jane will be going first session.

12. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

My older sister is the only one going to camp this summer, and she's going as the camp photographer!
    I am going to south Africa for a week and a half with our church!!!
    hopefully we'll get up to my grandparents cottage this year too
    :)

13. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Because of the number of kids and camp and the difficulty of keeping track of supplies when the kids are moving from the gym to the pool to the outside, etc. They use single use disposable lancing devices. I posted a thread on this on the OT board because DD -- who loved camp -- did not want to go because she did not like the "pokers" because they hurt.

I actually talked to the camp director and the medical director and, thanks to some recommendations from other parents here, provided them with some information on more comfortable single use disposables. They were able to get some to use.

I felt it was handled really well by the camp and DD really felt great about it and is looking forward to camp.

14. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Texas Lion's Camp! He doesn't WANT to go, but I know he has fun while he is there. This will be his third year, and it is FREE!!!

15. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Lauren is going to second session. She wanted to stay for 3rd too, but we have a family vacation planned. Maybe next year!

16. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Lia is attending D camp (Camp Midicha) here in MI.

17. P&BMom

P&BMom Approved members

We have DS signed up for Camp Sugar Falls. Its a day camp. I am not comfy with him doing an overnight camp yet, nor is the ole checking account!

18. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

It also has to do with an infection control/needle stick prevention issue. Not all kids have multiclix. They don't want anyone to handle any extra sharps than necessary. The single use lancets can't be used twice (someone could potentially use another multiclix unknowingly). There is no or very little chance of needle stick injury with the single use lancets. The trick is not to hold the lancet firm against the skin - just lightly will do the trick less painfully.

19. LJM

LJM Approved members

DS is heading to Conrad-Chinnock. First stay away D camp. I think he just wants to get away. He will be a teen aide at Wana Kura as well.

20. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Morgan is working on the staff at TCDC (Tn camp for diabetic children) and zoe will be in her 3rd year as a camper!