- advertisement -

What camps are your kids attending this summer?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2greatkids, Apr 11, 2011.

1. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

Audrey is going to D camp - yay! She's also going to a week of overnight church camp. In past years, they've had two nurses there, and do overnight tests on the CWD. They said she should be prepared to test a lot since the kids are going to be very active while there. The cooks also calculate all the carbs in the meals served. I was surprised and relieved to hear how prepared they are to handle CWD!

She's also doing at least 3 weeks of day camp offered by parks and recreation.

What camps are your kids doing? Any advice (or words of warning) for non-D overnight camp or day camp?

2. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

My DD attended a D day camp last year and will attend day camp again this year. We sent lunch and the carb count with her

One thing that she did not like about camp was the lancing devices (they use single use disposable ones that DD found more painful than her Multiclix).

Otherwise, it was a great experience for her.

She'll be attending a few other camps. Two one-week morning camps and one camp that goes from 9-3 -- that's the one I'm trying to figure out -- I'm tempted to get her a cell phone so that she can call me at lunch time to bolus, but I'm not sure if that is what I will do.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Why don't they let the children use their own lancers?

4. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Three glorious weeks of Camp Sweeney!!! Three weeks of F.U.N. to the MAX and no worrying about or being responsible for diabetes. Three weeks of spending time with life-long friends.

The camp does all the carb counting for the kids so they get a break. They don't have to take any of their own D stuff (unless they are on the pump). Last year my dd went off the pump for the summer so she was MDI during camp. Everything is taken care of by the counselors who are either med students or diabetic themselves. Love it!

My advice to you is to relax and know that your child is having a great time and making memories.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maddie visited a D camp but somehow it's just not her thing ... as much as I'd love her to want to go and as much as I'd love a break from the hands on D mgmt.

She's doing (we think) theatre camp, tennis camp and maybe a lax camp. All day camps... sleep away? Maybe next year :cool:

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Another Sweeney fan here! Just got all my paperwork approved, excited!

My son is going to take a pump break for camp as well, it's just so hard with all the water activities.

I had to edit and add that my daughter is doing her FIRST sleepaway camp this year. I wish I could have coordinated the two camps but didn't work out. It will be nice to have 1-1 time with each child though.

7. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

One week of D camp for my CWD and 3 weeks of volunteering at a Campfire camp for my 16 you with ADHD. Last year dropping my CWD off was hard, didn't expect to be sending a child to a D camp (dx that previous winter). This year should be a breeze...she's looking forward to it and so am I. There is another local camp I would like my D child to go to, but she isn't quite sure about it. She doesn't want me there and there is no nurse there...we'll see what happens.

8. sooz

sooz Approved members

Hailey is doing two sessions at Camp Conrad Chinook here in California. She went last year for the first time and loved it. It is a D camp

9. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Two glorious weeks at Camp Nejeda :) His fourth year - we sent him 4 months after he was dx'd the hardest thing we did after dx but the BEST thing! He loves it and is hoping to become a LIT (leader in training next year) which will equal 4 glorious weeks of summer next year - we may go on vacation ;) while he's away having a great time and hanging out with his friends from years past and new friends. The best part....No D worries! for him or us :D

10. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Kayla will be going back to D camp this summer. Noah we are not sure what he will be doing. A lot depends on his endo appt coming up in 3 weeks. If he starts insulin he will probably go to D camp as well. He wants to go back to church camp in July but I will more than likely have to attend with him so we will have to work some things out with that. Nick.. well, sorry buddy, stuck home with me until you are a little bit older. :)

11. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Lil is doing HDYC in PA again this year and then ou7r whole family is assisiting in teaching at a day camp for our karate dojo.

12. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

My son refuses to go to Diabets camp. I typically do not put up with refusals from my children but when I took him to day D camp, he snuck out and tried to walk home!:eek: He has told me that he does not need to make friends simply because they have diabetes and that he is quite capable of figuring out carbs and doing his own set! He prefers to go to karate camp with his friends from home. So he goes there. His instructors are all trained and we are always a cell phone call away. I tried family D camp once and my older son asked why everything we did had to revolve around D.....I got the message, no more family D camp!

13. momof2greatkids

Audrey would be in heaven if she could go to camp for 3 weeks! Last summer, she said she wished she could go to overnight camp for the whole summer! No separation issues with this child!

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

LOL, that was Maddie's reaction as well.

15. momof2greatkids

Audrey could care less that it's D camp - it's the week away from home that got her sucked in! She doesn't think she needs to be around other kids with D, but I'm hoping she will learn a few things, and hear how other kids handle D at middle school, what they like about pumps, where they wear pumps, other places to give shots, etc. She's a little more excited since she found a penpal on the JDRF website who is her age and is going to the same camp.

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Both girls are doing Clara Barton Wacky Week (D camp where you can bring a sibling or friend). We'll probably pick up a local nature camp that runs near us too.

17. momof2greatkids

We had both kids at camp the same week last year, and it was awesome! It was our first time to get away without the kids for more than just a couple of days in 15 years. They will both be gone on church-related activities the same week again this summer, but I'm not comfortable flying somewhere and being so far away from Audrey. We may just take a day or two off and do some things locally that the kids would be interested in.

18. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

Camp Nejeda, but only for one week, because the 2-wk 12+ conflicted with dance camp. We are doing 2 dance camps, plus a dance summer session on top of D-camp, but they will not be sleepaways. I used to work in Nejeda's kitchen...ages ago

ETA - I also signed us up for a family camp at Nejeda, but it will be after DD's session :-(

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  19. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Lauren is going to Sweeney for 3 weeks (highlight of her whole year!) and 1 week of Band Camp at UT Austin (resident camper this year and sleeping in the dorm - I'm nervous, but letting her live her life).

One comment about D camp - day camp and family camp are not the same as a real sleep away for weeks summer camp. Lauren disliked our local day camp and although she tolerated our presence at the Sweeney family weekend in the spring she says "It's a LOT more fun without all the moms there!"

20. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

I just signed DS (7yo) for Daypoint camp in WI. He says he doesn't want to go (he says that about everything) but I'm making him go since I get to volunteer as a RN. Now he seems a bit more excited. I'm trying to round up some other little kids to join us. They need me to ride the bus from St Paul to Hayward, WI where I'll be interacting and playing with the kids. I loved camp as a kid and I loved being a camp counselor even more! Hopefully my DS will enjoy it as well.