- advertisement -

What are your target BGL numbers?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Turtle1605, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Just interested to know...

How old is your child?
    What is your target BGL range?
    How often are you within that range?
    What numbers are you actually happy with typically?

My little boy is 5 and his target range 100-200 (per his endo). We've done pretty well so far staying in that range but of course, we've only been doing this a couple of months. :cwds:

I ask this because information about this varies a lot based on what I have read and I really want to know from experience what is realistic and what works! Thank you!

2. minniem

minniem Approved members

My answers are in red above. I also wanted to add that initially it was a lot easier to keep him in range while he was honeymooning. Now that we are out of the honeymoon it's a lot harder and a whole new ballgame. Good luck to you!

3. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

How old is your child? 7
    What is your target BGL range? 100-175 (endo)
    How often are you within that range? depends on the day, and how you count - when he's high or low we're checking more often, for a answer I would say about 75%+
    What numbers are you actually happy with typically? 85-160

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven is almost 11 (next month) and has had d for over 7 1/2 years now.
    His range is 70-150
    He's in range probably 40-50% of the time
    I prefer 90-120 especially at night

It is absolutely true that its easier to keep them in range when recently diagnosed and young. I say this because I dont want you or anyone to feel that youre doing something wrong if your son is getting older and you find that its gotten more difficult to keep them in range much of the time. When Steven is growing and insulin resistant, we can have days at a time where he is in range only 20% of the time. I get frustrated and disgusted and feel like whomping my head against the wall and then things go smoothly again. At least for a little while;)

5. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

Matthew is 11 and was diagnosed 2 years ago.
    His range is 70-150
    He's in range about 50% of the time
    I love it when he's in range....BUT...

I'm learning to accept that most days he just won't be there. When kids grow, their insulin needs grow. And really--that's good, but you won't know that's happening until their BG goes up....and stays there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that when I started looking at his BG as just "information," I because much happier. The BG simply tell you what to do next.

Hope that helps! : )

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Target confuses me quite frankly! If he's above 70 and below 150 I generally don't worry, so I guess that's his target range. He's not there for long. :rolleyes: He eats a lot.

Correctable range is 70-110. We treat below 70 and correct over 110.

He's 17.

7. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

How old is your child?
    She's 8 and has been T1D for almost 6 years

What is your target BGL range?
    100 is our day target and 120 is our bedtime target

How often are you within that range?
    I don't really have a target 'range' - just as close to 100 as possible as often as possible.

What numbers are you actually happy with typically?
    During the day, 80-120. At night, it depends on time. Closer to bedtime, anything from 100-150 is fabulous. Closer to morning, I'm happiest if we see 90-130.

8. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

How old is your child? 3
    What is your target BGL range? 80-180
    How often are you within that range? See below
    What numbers are you actually happy with typically? 80-160

How often you are in range really depends on how often you test. When we started out, we tested 4x/day--before each meal and at bedtime. We were almost always in range (probably 90% of the time). When we started pumping, we had to check more often for the first week or two, and that made us realize that 4x/day was not giving us the full picture. We began testing him at least 8x/day (before each meal and snack, and at least twice per night), and at that point, we were in range about 60% of the time. Now that we are using the CGM, we see how much we were missing even with 8+ checks. Now, we can be in range anywhere between 50% and 75% of the day when we are in decent control (don't get me started on a bad day...). So I don't really listen to what others say when they are talking about time in range, unless I know for sure how they are calculating it. As others have said, it does get harder to keep a child within their target after the honeymoon ends. I think as long as you are making educated decisions based on good information and getting help from your endo when you need to do so, you are really doing all you can, and you can't get too hung up on that number.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You are going to get a wide range of answers based on so many different factors, I am not sure how it will all help you with your specific child. I am always leery of comparing and contrasting. Your child needs what they need and you need to find what works best for them. It may be completely different from someone else.

Nothing wrong with asking the questions though. :cwds:

10. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My son is 7. His target range according to his pump is 80-140...but I consider the 140-160 range not too shabby either...so I'd be happy up to 160. He's in his pump range about 50% of the time (currently) according to his pump...but without a CGM...that doesn't tell the whole picture.

I actually enjoy these compare/contrast questions. You're of course right that our kids are all individuals and we do what's right for them. But I like seeing what's "out there" with everyone else...to see if how my son and I are doing at least falls in or near the range of "normal" according to others' answers. It does provide a measure of comfort for me, at least, so I can see why these questions are asked. Conversely, if how we do things does not go along with the majority...I will take a look at what we're doing and determine if a change would be good. At times, I've made changes because of what I've read here that have really improved things for us. At other times, we stick with what is working for us and are happy for what works for others.:cwds:

11. Christopher

That is a great approach, I just don't think everyone sees it like that. But I get where you are coming from.

12. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

How old is your child? 7
    What is your target BGL range? 80-150
    How often are you within that range? about 45-50% of the
    What numbers are you actually happy with typically? I don't think "happy" is the word I would use, but obviously, I'd prefer her BG to be 75-100 (as long as she wasn't symptomatic) or 75-120

13. sooz

sooz Approved members

The range for Hailey is 70-120, I am happy with 80-150, and 130 at bedtime.Hailey is nine, and was dx at four.

14. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Responding b/c my answers lead to a question

How old is your child? 12
    What is your target BGL range? 70 - 180 per endo
    How often are you within that range? lately, very rarely in, either above or below and in about 30 to 40% at best
    What numbers are you actually happy with typically? I don't know, above 75 for sure, and since she complains about how she's feeling at 170 and above, 150 or below

Okay, so question stemming from this post - where do endos get their range from? Our endo said it came straight from Pink panther book, and I see that, but then dd should have an upper end of 150 for age

Second question from this - what is your focus with respect to target ranges? When she was first diagnosed they said they wanted her in range 60% of the time, over no more than 40%, and below less than 10% (obviously adds to more than 100%) That seemed relatively doable in her honeymoon, but with puberty, growth, illness, etc. it's really, really been hard. So, do you shoot for that daily, weekly, monthly, for the period between visits? And, how do you use the info? I mean, I don't ever want us beating ourselves up, or dd feeling badly about herself because of numbers. So, I'm trying to instill a sense of the numbers are feedback to use in adjusting what we're doing, not a means to rate our ability to manage D. Does that make sense?

If it does, then why do endos often use the numbers to say things like "You're doing a really good job, need to do a better job." I hope my question makes sense.

15. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter is also 12, and our endo says 70-150. The last couple of weeks have been influenced by puberty & colds, so Carelink says she's been in range (on their graph 70-140) 47% of the time, in range 49% of the time, and low 4% of the time. Rather depressing to think about, but today is going much better with a 115% basal.

16. Christopher

Maybe I am a "bad" D parent but I don't really focus on % of time in range. I am pretty agressive with corrections, I test multiple times at night, every night, and test often during the day. I count carbs, use a scale, log all the time, but I just don't focus on the %. I focus on trying to keep her in range and when she is out of range I try and figure out why and correct. But that is about it.

17. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Ella is 10. Her range is 80-150 with a target of 110-130 depending on time of day. She's in range about half the time right now, and we're finally settling back into seeing more in-range numbers after a long long spurt of growth and illness!

18. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

100-200 here

My son is turning 5 this weekend. His range is 100-200 also. I have no idea how often he is in range, but our last A1C was 7.4 I'll have to check out medtronic reports and see what I can find.

I don't really worry much about low 200s. When he gets in the 80s I get nervous that he will go low, so I prefer above 100.

We tend to have huge spikes after breakfast, so I have started pre-bolusing and cranking up his insulin at 4:30 AM

Last week when he was sick - numbers were up to 410 -so I had to run 150% basal to get everything back in range. Those kinds of things just can't be helped. We just keep making adjustments.

19. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

How old is your child? 13, dx'd at 8
    What is your target BGL range? 80-100 during the day, 80-110 overnight
    How often are you within that range? According to the CGM, about 50%
    What numbers are you actually happy with typically? 70-100, 150 post-meal

We correct as soon as BG rises over 100 because we find it to be safer than having a higher correction threshold. My dd can correct a 105 back down to 90 with a 0.2u bolus, which is small enough to have no risk of overcorrecting. If she did not correct until she was at 150, the corrections would be larger and riskier, not to mention that she' be at a higher A1C. Of course sometimes BG rises so quickly even without food that she ends up at 200 to 300 and has to make larger corrections. But whenever possible she makes a small correction at 100 or eats a few carbs at 80, and this keeps the BG in the 80-100 range during the uneventful times of the day.

20. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Correcting into range often is the key. I bet if you watched her BG on a CGM you'd find she's in range often!