- advertisement -

What are your favorite NON-D books?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by KitKat, Jun 25, 2008.

1. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

I love Janet Evanovich and Lori Foster books. I love to read and would like to hear any of your suggestions on books you love to read.

I am reading right now Fearless Fourteen.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

My favorite book of all time: STAND - by Steven King

Other than that, any old trashy romance novel with a hunk on the cover...

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Titles please :D
    BTW, is Fabio still doing these covers:eek:

Well, my fave are suspense/murder mysteries by
    Patricia Cornwell (Kay Scarpetta series)
    P.D. James
    Elizabeth George

For laughs (and I mean 'belly-hurting' laughs) anything by Marian Keyes ('Sushi for Beginners', 'Rachel's Holiday', 'Watermelon')

For more serious stuff, love medieval history, anything on the Crusades and stuff on world religions.

BTW, the Bible (from a purely literary standpoint) is very interesting. I just can't keep up with the names...there are so many.:D

4. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

I completely agree here. The Stand is the best novel ever written. If you have never read it before, pick up the Complete and Uncut version published in 1990. The original version published in 1978 had been cut by a couple hundred pages. Classic good vs evil in an American setting.

The 1994 miniseries was very well done, but like other movies, it can't capture all the details of the book.

5. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Anything by Len Deighton, Robert Ludlum, Frederick Forsythe or Tom Clancy. Also love Patricia Cornwall (Kaye Scarpetta series).

But my two faves are Wuthering Heights and The Lovely Bones.

6. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I LOVE books! It isn't uncommon for me to go through two novels in one week.

I'll openly admit I'm a Harry Potter fan (read them at least 2 times each:eek:)
    But my 3 favorite authors are...
    Patricia Cornwell (Kay Scarpetta series):)
    Michael Connelly (Harry Bousch series):D
    James Patterson (Cross Series)

If you pick any of them, I'd highly suggest you read them in order. Michael Connelly is my Favorite, he has you guessing who-done-it up until the last page! :eek:

7. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I'm in the trashy romance corner. :)

I love Julie Garwood, Julia Quinn, and most of Nora Roberts. Suzanne Enoch is pretty good, too.

8. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

I don't read much anymore. It has literally been over a year since I read a book and before that probably 2 yrs. before the last one.

I absolutely loved the Mitford series. Can't think of the author's name, but I think the first in the series was "At Home in Mitford." About an evangelical priest named Father Tim and the all the "characters" in his parish.

I am also a fan of the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. I never got into her other series, but have been told the Witches of Mayfair are excellent.

I also loved the Earth's Children series by Jean Auel. The Clan of the Cave Bear was one of the best books ever.

I have always loved historical novels.

9. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I LOOOOOVE the Harry Potter books and I have been going into serious withdrawal since the last book was written. I started over and I am book 3.

I also like Mary Higgins Clark books.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Jan Karon The Mitford series. It is about a priest, but not in your face with religion. Very uplifting if you're feeling down.

Rosamund and Robin Pilcher books

Debbie Macomber The Shop on Blossom St.

The Jane Austen Book Club

Geraldine Brooks A Year of Wonders

11. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

Im a book freak and read all the time. I usually have 3 or 4 books going at a time and have no problem keeping them straight. One book I often recommend to people is Anita Diamant's The Red Tent. Its an excellent book. Anne Rice's Mayfair Witch books are all very good. I read them in high school and again later and liked them both times. I like Debbie Macomber's books, Nick Hornby(About a Boy, High Fidelity, 31 Songs, Fever Pitch), Carly Phillips Chandler Brothers series is good, Nicholas Sparks has a lot of really good ones(one of them is a movie coming out this summer). I could go on and on.

I belong to Books Free(they arent really free) and get all of my books from them. Its sort of like renting the books, but you keep them as long as you want and they have different subscription packages depending on how much you read. Our library system is pretty outdated and small and its hard to gets books from them, so this is much easier(and cheaper!) than buying them all. Best of all, you can create a list so when you return books, the next ones are automatically shipped. This is my favorite part because when I hear of a book I want to read I can just go there and see if they have it, add it, then I dont have to try to remember what it was later.

Oh, and if you have never read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn its a must!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
    Jenna'sMom likes this.
  12. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

*The Dollmaker by Harriette Arnow

Flowers in the Blood by Gay Courter

Sotah by Naomi Ragen

*Waiting to Exhale by Terri McMillan

(p.s. *The movies were awful! The books were fabulous.)

13. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

Jill I just finished The Red Tent which has been on my list forever.I agree it was excellent. I don't read much fiction other than to my kids. When I do read fiction it has to be in a burst. I find I can pick up and put down non fiction but if I take a few days off from fiction I lose the interest and or threads of the story. I tend to read more nonfiction, usually parenting, environmental or education titles primarily and I often have a few on the go. Right now I am re-reading Last Child in the Woods, The Creative Family and Buddhism for Mothers. I also just finished The Dance of the Dissident Daughter which I really enjoyed.
    Other fiction I have liked recently
    Time Traveller's Wife
    Girl with the Pearl Earring
    The Memory Keeper

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Poisonwood Bible.

14. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Stephen King - The Dark Tower series is the best!

I just finished 1984 by George Orwell (Very good) and I'm starting No Country for Old Men.

Charmed

15. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

Girl with a Pearl Earring is a great book, I really enjoyed it. Poisonwood Bible is a good book, I read it right after it became one of Oprah's book club books(my mom has all of them) and forgot all about it.

16. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Okay, I've got to start reading those!! ;)

I read mostly non-fiction science books. I'm very boring. I love any book by Carl Sagan. I read Cosmos when I was 12.

The two fiction masterpieces I loved were "East of Eden" by Steinbeck and "The Good Earth" by Pearl Buck.

17. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

I loved that book too! I just didn't know that anyone else read it. Every time I mention it to someone they have never heard of it.
    GOOD book!!!!!!

18. AmberO

AmberO Approved members

My mom let me read CotCB when I was 11 and I managed to break her down to let me read Valley of the Horses when I was 14. After that I waited patiently for each book. And still waiting and waiting and waiting for the series to finish. :p 23 years of waiting from first starting it!!

But mainly I'm a SciFi/Fantasy. If it's been written I've probably heard of it or read it or have it lol. Some horror- Rice, King and I've just discovered Kelley Armstrongs Women of the Otherworld. Excellent series and I think I like her better then Rice.

My favorite Fantasy Authors
    Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time) I met my husband because of these books and the subsequent game based on them!
    Anne Mc Caffrey (Pern)
    Mercedes Lackey
    Steven Erikson (Malazan Empire)
    and Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman of course!

19. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I read it too. And DH read it too. And that was the first thing we found out we had in common on our first almost-like-a-date date:D

20. Jenna'sMom

Jenna'sMom Approved members

Sorry to revive this OLD thread, but nobody mentioned my favorite author, Jodi Picoult. The best book (and first of hers that I read) is "My Sister's Keeper." But I've read almost all of her books, and haven't been disappointed yet.

Her website: http://www.jodipicoult.com/